Thread: playing along with music

User Info Menu

Default playing along with music

Hi everyone... I was just wondering your opinions on this. A lot of the time I practice, I only practice a little from my exercises and books, but I find myself spending most of my time drumming playing to my ipod or the radio. When I do this, I am practicing beats, fills, timing, feel, and also I weave in rudiments like double strokes,single strokes, flams, and paradiddles (I usually sort of "embellish" the song and add things in). I was just wondering, do you guys think that this is a productive practice, just playing along with music? Or do you think I'll be better off to practice some of my excercises and books my teacher has given me a bit more often?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing along with music

i think playing with an ipod or radio is good. it will give a better feel for playing with a guitar.
    i would do a bit of both, practice out of your book, and play along with other songs. i say it good to play with the songs and sub in your own creative fills.

i play along to other songs constantly.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Why not do both? I spend at least an hour a day practicing rudiments and then i play with the music that i like until i'm tired of playing. Some days i really don't have the time to play with songs but i ALWAYS make time to practice rudiments.

User Info Menu

It is most definitely productive. And I agree with Jeff... you can do both.

User Info Menu

im just starting here but it seems to me some of both is the way to go. do some warm ups, than some rudiments and than go for it playing along. I think that playing along with stuff will help give you more of a feel for the music and help you to create the drumming style which is yours and yours alone, only you know what beat you hear in your head. Also I like the idea of throwing the flams and diddles into just jamming with the songs.

User Info Menu

thanks all so far yeah i do do both, its just i usually do quite a lot more of playing along

User Info Menu

I Think you are on a very productive track my friend! It is helping you to learn improve and to keep time with music, and of course ruds. are good they are like scales for the drums and inevitabley will just add to your skills! F/T