Thread: help!!

User Info Menu

Default help!!

My question is... do you have to have talent to play drums? the reason I ask is because some one I know just started playing, and it took him just 2 months to play what took me a year to learn...did I mention WAY better.
    I can't seem to get better...should I just quit?...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sehnsucht
    My question is... do you have to have talent to play drums? the reason I ask is because some one I know just started playing, and it took him just 2 months to play what took me a year to learn...did I mention WAY better.
    I can't seem to get better...should I just quit?...

No, DONT QUIT!!! In life, you are always going to come across someone who picks things up quicker than the next guy. You need to ask yourself, are putting in enough practice time? Are you truly concentrating when you do practice, etc.

If he practiced for 2-5 hours a day for 2 months, then of course he is going to achieve the goal he is looking for. And for the talent question, I dont believe that everyone who is great at something, whether it be playing an instrument, or a sport, that they had the talent from the start. If you have to ambition and dedication to put in the hours and hours that it takes to accomplish a goal, whether it be drumming, or basket weaving, you will succeed and blow your own mind away with the skill you acquired after the fact.

So bottom line, don't get discouraged, we have ALL been there and wanted to throw in the towel, but with a little bllod and guts, we are still here to say that we survived. Good luck to you bro, and I hope to see you make big some day!!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I taught for many years and it was fascinating to see the different levels of "natural" talent. That said, some of the guys with a lot of natural talent didn't get as far because they didn't apply themselves, and some of the guys with less natural talent really soared because they worked very hard.

Now and then I would get a student that would try "very" hard but not really get far. I believe that a certain amount of natural talent is a necessary part of the equation. You'll know if it isn't there. Simply listen to your instincts.

User Info Menu

yeah sometimes i just feel like i'm bored of this and i'm never going to get any where but then when i drum i have the time of my life it's probably my favorite thing to do so i would just say keep on trying and trying if you cant get better try to go to someone with a lot of talent and ask them what they are doing
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

that's the way it goes....sometimes ull hit a dry spot where it seems like no matter how much u prac u just arnt getting anywhere...but don't loose hope..this can be caused by prac wrong...but not necissarily sometimes we just level off for a while and then all the sudden one day ull have a huge breakthrough and times will be good again....plus...if ur a real drummer at heart then ull have fun even if ur not improving

User Info Menu

"Life" is a journey, not a destination. Just enjoy drumming at your own pace, and to hell with anyone else's ability. The only person you need to be better than tomorrow ... is you.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Boo's answer couldn't be more well stated. It's more about personal fulfillment and/or enjoyment. It should all start there.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

...AMEN....well put BOO

User Info Menu

I second that motion!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Right on Boo!!!
    I find that I'll "increase" my skill, then hit a "plateau" for a while, then get past it and start to "increase" again, till the next "plateau"...
    /
    __________/
    /
    ____/
    /
    _______/
    You just might have been at one of your "plateaus".
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Right on BOO!!!!
    I find that I'll "increase" my skill, then I hit a "plateau", then get past it and start to "increase" again, till the next "plateau", and on and on...
    /
    ________/
    /
    ________/
    /
    /
    You just may have been at one of your "plateaus".

User Info Menu

The darn diagram wont come out right....

User Info Menu

Thank you all... I appreciate all of your thoughts.

User Info Menu

WOW What a great thread. Made me feel good reading it.
    Great quote Boo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkPlusAngels
    yeah sometimes i just feel like i'm bored of this and i'm never going to get any where but then when i drum i have the time of my life it's probably my favorite thing to do....
    well said I agree

whatever you do dont quit
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Default help!!

May be a little late in the game on this one, but if you are motivated enough to do it--in your case, play drums--you can develop your talent even it may not match those of others at first.

There is no typeface big enough to put what I want to say next: DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS. Your buddy who learned in two months what it took you to learn in a year has a bigger challenge. If he slacks off down the road later because he thinks he knows it all, he won't progress, he'll regress.

I began studying drums in my mid-30's and there have always been guys younger (and older) who could play rings around me...at first...but rather than being discouraged about it, I learned from them (and vice versa). One of my closest drumming buddies is a dude young enough to be my son--and we're still learning from each other.

Go for it, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

amen to that...everone is different and learns differently and that is quite allright...just go your own pace and look at those better than you as chances to learn and grow in your own skills.....well put bongobro

User Info Menu

hey if all that fails u can always take a chainsaw to his arms.thatd slow him down...

User Info Menu

that's awefully morbid...you brits have a very diff sence of humor that we do...quite all right though...just different

User Info Menu

no its not brits its jus me, im nice like that!i think the technical term is a sociopath but i prefer alternative sanity...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Your buddy who learned in two months what it took you to learn in a year has a bigger challenge. If he slacks off down the road later because he thinks he knows it all, he won't progress, he'll regress.
    A good example of this is the Jacob Armeen kid on the Carson show (I think I saw this video post in here the other day). He came along and blew everyone's socks off ...and then we never heard from him again. I think he just dropped off the planet.

Not to say he was a know it all or anything but he may have taken things for granted. As a child prodigy, he had more talent at 10 then most drummers have at 30.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    no its not brits its jus me, im nice like that!i think the technical term is a sociopath but i prefer alternative sanity...

Alternative Sanity?....hmm.....I like that....sounds like a good name for a metal band or something