Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meinl MCS - HCS series Any good?

User Info Menu

Default Meinl MCS - HCS series Any good?

Well im still looking for cymbals and i saw these Meinl Series

Well they're pretty cheap and i've heard MCS are almost unbreakable

What do you know? :D

Also what CHEAP BUT NOT ****TY HiHats do you recomend me (:?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Meinl MCS - HCS series Any good?

I would not recommend Meinl HCS since they're made of brass and are at about the same quality level as the Pearl stock cymbals. MCS is in the range of B8's and ZBT's, etc., and would be a good first set of cymbals. Personally I think they sound better than Sabian B8's.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I bought the package cymbal set of Meinle MCS off ebay dealer last week.I was upgrading from my previous Paiste 101 Brass. Let me tell ya....I didnt like them at all! The crash and ride were OK,,,but the low budget beginner Paiste hi hats sounded better!! I tried them for few days, hoping Id like them. But, just couldnt get past the Meinl high hats. Way to "dark sounding" to me. I sent them back (Cost m $8) and got total refund of $239 or whatever it was.
    I then watched ebay a week,,,and landed me some nice Paiste Alphas. The high hats and ride are great!!..the Hi Hats sings. Id recommend these! Still waiting on the crash.

User Info Menu

I have a full set of Meinl HCS cymbals and they are surprisingly good. Obviously there are much better cymbals out there but, for the price, I think they're excellent. I'll hold onto these until I have enough money to upgrade to Meinl Byzance cymbals.

I've never played on MCS cymbals so I don't know about those. However, I do play on Zildjian ZBTs when I go to my drum lessons and I hate those things with the heat of the sun. My teacher laughs because I grimace every time I have to hit the ride.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

in my experience, if something you try at the store your not absolutely feeling a connection with musically, it isnt going to be something you'll enjoy playing on when you get it home
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I own a 16" Meinl MCS crash. It sounds ok, nothing special. What you pay is what you get.

User Info Menu

I owned one Meinl cymbal and couldn't stand it. Plus it was cheaply made and cracked within a couple of weeks of me purchasing it - I didn't even hit it that hard for it to crack so easily. Could have been a defect from the factory, who knows, but it sounded like crap, and after it cracked I couldn't get my money back for it fast enough.
    My Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6 piece (1 up, two down, 1 not used); Pearl 12" Porkpie Snare; Sabian cymbals (except the Zildjian 20" med. ride); Evans EC-2 heads all around with G1 resos; DW-8002b double pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Halon451 View Post
    I owned one Meinl cymbal and couldn't stand it. Plus it was cheaply made and cracked within a couple of weeks of me purchasing it - I didn't even hit it that hard for it to crack so easily. Could have been a defect from the factory, who knows, but it sounded like crap, and after it cracked I couldn't get my money back for it fast enough.
    So... how do you like working at Zildjian?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Halon451 View Post
    Cheaply made Meinl? That's an oxymoron! What kind of cymbal was it? If you're in central Florida (as your location states) you should stop by Drums 2 Go on Semoran in Orlando (right off the 408 exit). They carry the full line of Meinl cymbals. Go check them out and I'm sure you'll see that your experience was a fluke. Meinl cymbals are great!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    So... how do you like working at Zildjian?

Oooh.. low blow.
    My Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple 6 piece (1 up, two down, 1 not used); Pearl 12" Porkpie Snare; Sabian cymbals (except the Zildjian 20" med. ride); Evans EC-2 heads all around with G1 resos; DW-8002b double pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Cheaply made Meinl? That's an oxymoron! What kind of cymbal was it? If you're in central Florida (as your location states) you should stop by Drums 2 Go on Semoran in Orlando (right off the 408 exit). They carry the full line of Meinl cymbals. Go check them out and I'm sure you'll see that your experience was a fluke. Meinl cymbals are great!
    Could have been a fluke - it was the only one I ever bought and owned and that was simply my experience with it.

User Info Menu

I would recommend the hcs 20" ride. I use it and find it awesome.

User Info Menu

The only HCS cymbal I like is the 8" bell. The 16" HCS trash crash is apparently decent but I have not played it.
    Meinl's top quality cymbals are unbelieveable though.

User Info Menu

If u like a more kind of crash sounding ride I would suggest the meinl hcs 20" ride.

User Info Menu

What other meinl rides are there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    What other meinl rides are there?

whole bunch of em, http://meinlcymbals.com/
    Last edited by MDK; 01-29-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

They have a ton...I may be wrong on this but it seems like Meinl has more individual models than any other company, except maybe Paiste. I have the 20" Meinl Dark Raw Bell Ride, hand-selected too. I love it.

User Info Menu

I have the full set of Meinl HCS cymbals - got a starter pack for $299. It has a 16 and an 18 crash, 20 ride, a china and a splash, and 14 inch hi hats. The ride is nice, the hats are decent, the crashes are just ok and the effects cymbals are 'meh'...
    But, for the money, it's a nice way to fully outfits a new drum set, which is what I did. Will likely upgrade as I get better and the expense is justified, but for just playing at home, I can't find a lot of fault with them. Also, if they break, my heart won't break with them - it'll just be "shopping time"

User Info Menu

I'm planning on upgrading from my hcs 20" ride to possibly a sabian AAX 20" or 22"

User Info Menu

I bought a full MCS set with my kit, and they are not bad, I would call them entry level but quality entry level. My personal opinion is they sound ever so slightly better than the HCS line. I bought a Byzance brilliant splash today, and I will definitely be upgrading all my cymbals to the Byzance line. I could barely leave without buying an 18 Byzance brilliant thin crash. Wife would have killed me.

User Info Menu

Are agazarian cymbals good quality

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cfiore124 View Post
    I bought a full MCS set with my kit, and they are not bad, I would call them entry level but quality entry level. My personal opinion is they sound ever so slightly better than the HCS line. I bought a Byzance brilliant splash today, and I will definitely be upgrading all my cymbals to the Byzance line. I could barely leave without buying an 18 Byzance brilliant thin crash. Wife would have killed me.
    I love the different Byzance lines. I had been using various brands of crashes and rides but was never really happy with them...now that I have these Meinls I've found the perfect sound I wanted. 16" Vintage Crash, 16" Dark Crash, 17" Extra Dry Thin Crash, 18" Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash, 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride.

User Info Menu

I personally am a zildjian fan although I do like meinl rides

User Info Menu

Are agazarian cymbals good?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamgdog View Post
    Are agazarian cymbals good?
    I don't know - they are not sold in the UK. The best thing to do is go to the cymbal section of the forum and start a thread on Agazarian cymbals if there is not already one (try the search mode and check threads with Agazarian in the title). There may be lots of members that own them - but they may not check this thread as it is to discuss Meinl MCS - HCS.