Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite hand-drumming song!

User Info Menu

Cool Your favorite hand-drumming song!

Okay, bongo brothers and conga chix! We KNOW what set players like to play (see "Favorite Songs to Play" in "General Drum Chat")...

so what's your favorite hand-drumming tune?

I'll start with a few of mine from several different genres:

Rock: "Wipeout"--the Surfaris; "Ramblin' Man"--the Allman Brothers; "Take it Easy"--the Eagles; "Do It Again"--Steely Dan...

Country: "Margaritaville"; "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes"--Jimmy Buffett...

Latin: "Oye Como Va"; "Evil Ways"; "Smooth"--Santana...special mention for one of their less-known tunes, "All I Ever Wanted" (Was to Be with You)"

Jazz: "The In Crowd"--Ramsey Lewis;

Christian Music: "Lord, I Lift Your Name on High"; "Awesome God"; "We Are the Light of the World" (traditional hymn with a new arrangement that gives it a "Long Train Running" feel); "Hallelujah! Raise the Gospel" (all of them played at various times in our church's guitar group with you kinow who on percussion)...

now, you take it from here!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I don't play hand drums, but I do like the version of Hotel California by the Eagles with the bongos in the background.

Or there's the start of Danger by Mystikal :P

Just Kidding.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Here are some of my favs:

Stir It Up - Bob Marley
    Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
    Laid Back and Key Wasted - Jimmy Buffett
    Soulfly II - Soulfly
    Kaiowas - Sepultura
    Chaos B.C. - Sepultura
    Ratamahatta - Sepultura
    Evil Ways - Santana
    El Farol - Santana
    Shark Attack - Wailing Souls

I play djembe and ashiko drums more than any others, so my favorites are more along the lines of that type of drumming (that's why I really dig the Soulfly and Sepultura stuff).
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 02-14-2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

The Day of the Baphomets - The Mars Volta

this isnt what i would consider a hand drumming song however the percussionist (not the drummer) in the band has a sick 2 min long solo type groove that just makes the song (the song is about 8 mins) lol its sick

its not really a hand drumming song but i couldnt think of much else lol
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

is that why you names amputechture, from that album ?

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure Ill Nino have some Latin style hand drumming in the background of some of their songs. Can't think of any right now.

Ohh, And Umbarambaumba by Soulfly.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cubana be

and cubana bop

by Dizzy Gelepspi
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Drum_Fiend, Dizzy Gillespie pioneered in bringing the Afro-Cuban beat to modern jazz... so we hand drummers owe him mucho thanks!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I never have tried hand drums (mostly becuz I don't have the money or the time to learn) but if i ever did I would totally love to try it!
    It really sounds fun!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

is that why you names amputechture, from that album ?
    course it is Eon, its also Omar (the guitarist in the band) or maybe its cedric im not sure (cedric would be the singer, they both look similar lol) but uhh ya its also one of there names for something else other than the album, it slips my mind right now but ya
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

I also have this cd thats called Mickey Harts planet Drum and the whole thing is like bongos and other percussion.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I'm pretty sure Ill Nino have some Latin style hand drumming in the background of some of their songs. Can't think of any right now.

Ohh, And Umbarambaumba by Soulfly.

HB58
    You are right! When Sepultura broke up, the members split and formed 2 other bands: Soulfly and Ill Nino. Both bands have the same kind of tribal feel, but Ill Nino added a little bit of techno feel to the music that I am not a huge fan of, but I still like their music.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drum_Fiend
    I also have this cd thats called Mickey Harts planet Drum and the whole thing is like bongos and other percussion.

That CD is a MUST HAVE for any hand drummer! I have literaly worn mine out from playing it over and over and over..........
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Red face Songs to drum to.

Hi all.

I'm in a unique position to answer this question since, as a one-man performing entity called DRUMMERSYNC, I play hand drums to previously recorded music in public for money. I have custom CDs with a total of some 200 different songs I use from time to time.

My favorite 14-song line-up would be:

• Get On Your Feet by Gloria Estefan (Great opener)
    • Get Down On It by Wayman Tisdale
    • Watermelon Man by Mongo Santamaria
    • Womba Lomba by Angélique Kidjo
    • Tired of your Jive by BB King
    • Mambo Jambo by Mambo All-Stars
    • Ritmo Con Aché (Rhythm With Aché) by Jose Mangual Jr.
    • Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White by Perez Prado
    • Morning Light by Royal Crown Revue
    • Oink, Oink Mambo by Chuy Reyes (special audience participation number)
    • Funky Nassau by Blues Brothers Band, featuring Erykah Badu
    • Cuban Pete by Tito Puente
    • Got to Give It Up by The Urban Knights
    • Born To Hand Jive by Sha Na Na (from Grease) Terrific ending number with several solo opportunities for me.

Usually, I work with a pair of congas (9-inch & 10-inch heads) on a rack, a pair of LP bongos (7-inch & 8-inch heads) on a stand and a djembe (12.5-inch head) on a stand. Throw in a boom box with good speakers and I'm set to go. Obviously, I work small to medium-sized rooms. I also bring a tambourine, five sets of maracas and a pair of claves for the audience participation number.

Lary Crews
    CongaLary
    St Petersburg FL

User Info Menu

Very cool! I totally forgot about Tito Puente and the Mambo All-Stars. Good stuff.

Welcome to the site. I hope you hang around for a while. There are a few of us hand percussionists here that love to talk hand drums, especially BongoBro and myself. Good to have ya'!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    I've been looking for other hand drummers online.

Lary
    DrummerSync
    Lary Crews
    St Petersburg FL
    congalary@tampabay.rr.com

User Info Menu

sweet we have another hand drummer.

I am not a hand drummer, but I am learning so that's great.

You can join the ranks of such great drumchat members as:

BongoBro
    and 1DrumBum

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

speaking of the 'bro ...

welcome aboard, congalary--and you reminded me of a couple of great conga tunes I almost forgot with your list!

In fact, I think "Watermelon Man" was the first conga tune I really noticed (it came out when I was about 11 or 12 years old)...

Your set-up sounds something like mine...my main set is 10" and 10 3/4" wooden CPs and a 11 1/2" Remo congas, and a pair of 7" and 8" LP Professional 2 bongos, but I generally play seated since the congas don't have stands...of course, I understand traditional congueros play seated... I also have a djembe, a doumbek and the usual assortment of "toys"...and in case you haven't figured it out already, I dig playing hand percussion!

I've played hand drums with a variety of groups ranging from a folk duo to a 17-piece big band and currently play percussion in our church's guitar group.

About the only thing I don't have (yet) is the karaoke machine, but you've given me an idea to try what you do in St. Louis. If you don't mind, shoot me a private message so I can compare notes with you.

Again, welcome, congalary--glad to see another dude who likes to

Charlie

User Info Menu

Hand drumming is a very eye apealing way to play drums.

live on.

User Info Menu

Not to mention it sounds very appealing to the ear too, xaviett!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I have to add one more to my favorites:

An American Dream - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

That song makes me feel like I should be sitting on the beach next to a campfire with a conga in front of me, my girl sittin' next to me, and a margaritta in my hand watchin' the sun go down.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I have to add one more to my favorites:

An American Dream - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

That song makes me feel like I should be sitting on the beach next to a campfire with a conga in front of me, my girl sittin' next to me, and a margaritta in my hand watchin' the sun go down.
    That visual makes me want to sit on the beach by a campfire with a couple of congas in front of me...but my hands wouldn't be hold'n a margarita...they'd be too busy play'n, 1DB!

speak'n of beach tunes, what about "Kokomo" from the Beach Boys? The congas aren't front and center, but it's a cool one to work up a more complicated riff than usual...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Kokomo is a great tune to drum to. Actually just about anything by the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, or the Surfaris is great hand drumming music. It just puts me in a relaxed mood and I think I play a lot more soulful (I don't think that's a word) to that type of music.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

"Soulful" is in the dictionary, 1DB, and it's the best way to describe the way most hand drummers, including the two of us, feel when we've locked in on the groove and we're diggin' what we're playin'....

Charlie

User Info Menu

If I can get in on this . . . I think Santana has so many great songs that blend the acoustic set sound with hand percussion. My favorites are Soul Sacrifice, She's Not There, Jingo, Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, and Everything Is Coming Our Way.

By the way Bongobro. and 1DB, I had a set of bongos when I was a wee tike. Didn't really recognize the power that I had in my hands back then. Too bad, it could have been a different ride through the years. Not that I would have been a pro, but I know I would have enjoyed them through the years.