Thread: rock band drums

User Info Menu

Exclamation rock band drums

would it be a good idea 2 get rock band drums or will they take out my intrest of real drums and or make me worse?

User Info Menu

Default Re: rock band drums

Rock band drums are nothing like real drums. They're not even like e-kits.
    Matt

User Info Menu

They are a novelty at best!

User Info Menu

hows this for an answer
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcvSWoQWV0"]YouTube - Colbert Report - Rush Plays Rock Band - Tom Sawyer[/ame]

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Rock band drums are nothing like real drums. They're not even like e-kits.
    Had I not pretty much mastered Rock Band, I wouldn't be ANY good at a real kit.

Take it from someone who jumped from RB to a 5 piece. Yes it's different in many ways, but there are some invaluable lessons you can learn by playing Rock Band.

If you already play drums, you'll more than likely be killer at the game once you get used to it which won't take long at all.

If you don't, you'll learn limb independence (except your left foot, that's something you'll learn on a real kit), how to do rolls, flams, paradiddles and all sorts of patterns using the drum trainer.

For those who haven't used it, don't knock it until you've tried it.
    Last edited by LonnieC24; 09-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I've tried it...and I sucked at it! lol

But I play play the crap out of the RB/GH guitar parts!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

lilkick, my feeling is that once you start playing a drum kit, to go back to Rock Band could cause you to develop bad habits. Although you can get away with them while playing Rock Band, some habits would be bad to use on a kit. IMHO, once you become serious about playing the drums as an instrument, stay with it. I understand that it is fun to play with others, but as you stick with the kit, it will come. have fun playing Rock Band from time to time, but don't become so good at it that you lose the proficiency at the kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

PearlDrummer18 Guest

As far as playing the game it's alot of fun..... but will it make you a worse drummer? No. Will it take the interest out of real drums? Well, that's up to you. I played RB for quiet a while before i bought my acustic set and to be honest RB got me into drumming. Now some people will likely think i'm crazy for saying that but it's true. You can do both..i did for several months before selling my RB suff and it didn't hurt my interest in real drums or the game and it didn't make me a better or worse drummer, but keep in mind everybody is different. It could have some effect on you or it may not. Take playing your acustics more seriousely because after all let's face it...RB IS A GAME nothing more nothing less.
    Last edited by PearlDrummer18; 09-12-2009 at 12:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    lol i suck at rock band to why play video games when you have the real thing ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

it would mess up my real technique
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have Rockband and those drums are a joke.

On the other hand, if you invest 300 bucks in the ion drums they will probably use the skills of real drumming and help build muscle memory.

The ion kit is basicly an e-kit without the module that works with rockband. They also have a module that you can connect to it making it a stand alone e-kit.

User Info Menu

I have RB and guitar hero with the drum kits. Yes they did give me enough interest to have me go out and buy an actual acoustic kit, so thumbs up on the game for that, but after I got my acoustic kit, I havn't even turned on my PS3 once, except to watch some random movies with the wife. I have no interest in the game anymore what so ever.

One thing I would like to eventually like to do with it is, get a stereo loud enough, to play the songs from the game in practice mode, and use my acoustic kit to play the drum parts. They would make great backing tracks for practice, because all the songs are the actual songs without whichever instrument you choose. In my case would be drums, it could work for a guitar player, bass player, or vocalist. Maybe I could find some way to use headphones from my tv.. hmmmm...

User Info Menu

what if i switch of like every other day for them or should i save up and buy anouther pice or stand for my set insted or playing rb drums??......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    lol i suck at rock band to why play video games when you have the real thing ?
    I tried RB on drums once and will never do it again. I play Man in the Box with my real band, and what they wanted me to play wasn't right. It was a completely different pattern. If I tried to learn MITB the way it wanted me to, I think it would of screw up the way I play it now.

For someone who doesn't play, it's fun; but, it's nothing like playing a song on real drums. What I do like though, is that some kid is going to play this game and he or she will fall in love with the drums. And that's cool.

I played guitar GH and did pretty well. The game rocks!
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    hows this for an answer ...
    That clip is awesome Quad !

Personally, the two has nothing to do with the other. Do you guys remember the Electronic Simon Says game ? When I first played it, I was over confident...since I was a drummer, I could easily beat others who weren't, because I had superior coordination......WRONG ! I sucked at it...I had to work at it to be good....same as playing the drums.
    Last edited by nio; 09-19-2009 at 08:18 AM.

User Info Menu

That's amazing!! Rush fails the song! IMHO, Rock band can teach you some rhythms that you didn't even think of, and you can easilly apply them to the set.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I played Rock Band drums for close to a year before I started taking real lessons. I had an interest in drumming long before Rock Band came out, but I figured playing the game would suffice until I could take some lessons.

Rock Band is a fun game and it's a great way to get people into music. It does help with some things like independence and keeping time, but in my experience, it can cause you some problems later on too. The main problem I had breaking was improper stick technique.

I just bought a set almost two months ago and I rarely play Rock Band now. For one, it is quite uncomfortable to play compared to a real set and two, I am afraid of playing it and going back to my bad technique.

Anyway, I think playing the game before learning the real thing is a double-edged sword, but one thing is for sure....They are both fun to play!

User Info Menu

its fake, put it on easy and you hit a button and it does a rhythm. sup with that?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

rock band ruined my keeping time ability, i used to keep time EXTREMELY well an d now i loose it at times. don't take rock band seriously, it's overtracked/undertracked a LOT of the time

User Info Menu

Interesting enough, I wonder how difficult it would be to take the triggers from the rb kit and use an acoustic kit to trigger the game??? I know its possible.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Back when i played RB alot i visited a forum that dealt with the kind of question that you are asking. I'm not shure if i can post it in this thread but if you would like i will be glad to PM you the name of the site. Great people there and helpful as well. If your interested in modding a drum kit that site is your ticket.

User Info Menu

if i had my heads at their highest possible tensions, i still wouldnt get the kind of rebound those hard rubber pads have
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

PearlDrummer18 Guest

I don't know Russ, to me a drum head has much better bounce than those rubber pads....only my opinion though.

User Info Menu

my nephews guitar hero drum set's kick peddle died but its just a piezo so I bought a new one wired it in and off we go again... made me thing if I could find an old guitar hero kit thats dead I can re-wire everthing with new piezo's or real electric kit .. and wire it through the exisiting interface .. basicly make an e kit adapter for guitar hero ... dont know if it would work for rock band though the trigger mechanism is not piezo on those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    my nephews guitar hero drum set's kick peddle died but its just a piezo so I bought a new one wired it in and off we go again... made me thing if I could find an old guitar hero kit thats dead I can re-wire everthing with new piezo's or real electric kit .. and wire it through the exisiting interface .. basicly make an e kit adapter for guitar hero ... dont know if it would work for rock band though the trigger mechanism is not piezo on those.
    The Guitar Hero drums come with a MIDI port so if you're using a real e-kit all you need to do is plug them into the MIDI port and you're able to use them in the game. It works for Rock Band as well (but you gotta use the GH drums, the RB drums don't have the MIDI).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^