Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick, Easy Tuning Method

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick, Easy Tuning Method

Quote Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
    Alright, it makes sense to me that the final result (striking the head and listening to the sound) is important. But why would others, like Bob Gatzen, make such a fuzz about tuning each lug exactly right if it didn't matter?
    Because it does matter. If each the head tension isn't even at the lugs then you won't get one single tone from the drum. When you hit the drum you'll hear overtones and even that out of phase ring you get from two guitar strings playing the same note that are out of tune. Not only should the head be tuned to itself, but the batter and reso need to be tuned to each other (not necessarily the same note).

The quick method mentioned is a quick method! Time saving. A lot of times it's hard to hear the tuning issues if you are just jamming at home, or even with a band b/c the other instruments mask overtones, etc.. But trying micing a drum that isn't tuned well and uh oh....

Anything you've heard recorded by pros is meticulously tuned. Same goes for anything live by pros. That's what drum techs are for!

Many times what people mistake for better sound from higher end drums is just better tuning.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Well said, kaosotis. The method stated here is just a quick tune. Concidered a pre-tune. Unfortunatly, it is more involved than that. Check out Bob Gatzen on you-tube, he's the wizard of tuning.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 10-21-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added stuff
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

The biggest tips I found were:
    1./when tuning-down 1/2 turn(loosening tension rods) come back up (tighten)1/8-1/4 turn. This puts a little tension on the seated head that's just been relieved at that point on the head.
    2./ opposite tension rods effect each other and those next to them to some extent. Tightening one will raise the pitch slightly on those right next (adjacent) to them.
    3./ Yes, tiny adjustments do make a difference. 1/4 turns-ah, not small enough!
    4./ Not all tension rods feel the same when head is in tune. Some are tighter, harder to turn than others due to the hoop slots not being perfectly aligned, threads aren't perfect
    or drum may be slightly out-of-round. When I realized this it took the pressure off me to be perfect.
    I always get the hi-lo-hi-lo around the head when I start. I work on adjusting the opposite rod to be close to its neighbors and work around that way. Finally I work at each one by itself with the tiny, 1/8 turns. That seems to finalize the tuning.

May be a bit more info than you need.
    Last edited by slinglander; 11-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.