Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottomless?

User Info Menu

Talking Bottomless?

what do drums sound like with no bottom heads?
    is it a good sound?
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Cool Bottomless?

Quote Originally Posted by Drum_Fiend
    what do drums sound like with no bottom heads?
    is it a good sound?
    Bottomless drums were all the rage in the '70's...depends on the type of shell and its depth, DF...

A large wooden shell would have a deep bassy sound; some guys liked that kind of "ballsy" depth, but with metal shells or more shallow shells, they sounded like timbales (some guys liked that, too, as I did) or they sounded just plain bad.

And unless you had a set specifically made to play bottomless (minus the lower hardware), it looked pretty sloppy, like you were playing an unfinished do-it-yourself kit...

Give it a try yourself; you might like it, but I don't know anyone in my drummer's circle who currently plays bottomless...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Absolutely NOT...I would rather listen to Mick Jagger sing "Unchained Melody" than listen to a kit with no bottom heads....(I HATE the Rolling Stones, by the way, lol).....without bottom heads, the drums cannot resonate, and have no distinct tone.....might as well just beat on pots and pans, in my opinion.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I did play bottomless (drums, that is ) for awhile, but I was looking for that big tom sound of the late 70's - early 80's. You can't really get that sound without using concert toms and it does look funny if you just take the bottom heads off of a regular kit. I have since switched back to playing with resonant heads and my drums sound a lot better!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

yeah....the bottom ring popped of my second tom a while back. it sounds ok in a very strange way. One may think the tone is exotic another might think its the most horrible thing ever...
    any ways i don't use my second tom anymore....i need space for my ribbon crasher....!!!

User Info Menu

i use bottomless toms and they sound wicked !! but only some of them sound good like tht and depends if u like it like tht

User Info Menu

no they have no resonance
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Really a matter of personal preference, some people like the sound of toms with no resonant head. Like bongobro said, unless you have a custom kit with no lower hardware on your toms, it'll probably sound terrible.

I don't think I could do without my Resonant heads though.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

There are instances where bottomless drums sound cool, but for the most part...nah.
    Stick to yuor guns and keep your bottoms on.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

drumfiend....this is off topic but could you tell me what on earth is going on in your profile pic!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, please change it cos its annoing.

User Info Menu

i was wondrin that too he-he
    max

User Info Menu

oh and bottomless aint good no more. its old style. I used to have them but now they soud better with bottom heads
    max

User Info Menu

You haven't seen shoes?

User Info Menu

Everyone has to see shoes, it's hilarious. Especially when you quote "Oh my god, shoes" really early in the morning when you're hungover....

What? Just me who laughed non-stop at that?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Boy... everyone hates the concert toms!!
    My set has concert toms and I love their sound!! To each his own, I guess. It does makes it easier to tune, though...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Its good to see some one who enjoys shoes as much as i do.
    www.betchslap.com is that actors homepage (check out text message breakup)

and i love concert toms!

User Info Menu

Metal Drummer, I think you like the sound of them because your kit has no bottom lugs. I think most people just take the bottom skins off their toms and think it sounds crap because they have their bottom lugs and hardware absorbing all the resonance of the shell.

Oh and DF... I enjoy the short film shoes, I don't actually enjoy shoes that much. I have about 3 pairs, including my thongs.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

no as in the film shoes. I accually only have one pair of shoes and they have holes in them so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    Boy... everyone hates the concert toms!!
    My set has concert toms and I love their sound!! To each his own, I guess. It does makes it easier to tune, though...
    that just screams ARENA ROCK, like you could play journey songs all day on a kit like that.

User Info Menu

Yeah. But if you want to play Journey songs all day ur a bit of a tit. hehehe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    Yeah. But if you want to play Journey songs all day ur a bit of a tit. hehehe.
    full blast on the 8-track in my "77" el-camino, windows down....mullet blowing in the wind

User Info Menu

hahaha... I like to think of it as a Nicko McBrain / Vinnie Appice kind-of thing going on, instead of a Journey-thing.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

OK I have to throw in my 2 cents here.... Metal Drummer keep that kit dude!! I too am an old schooler when it comes to bottomless toms. Yes it was the 70's thing. I used to have a Ludwig Otctaplus kit without resonant heads. I used Evans Hydraulics and I must say the kit sounded amazing. Properly tuned bottomless toms can sound great! To each his own , i guess
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Cool Bottomless?

Quote Originally Posted by Musicnut74
    I used Evans Hydraulics and I must say the kit sounded amazing. Properly tuned bottomless toms can sound great! To each his own , i guess
    My "bottomless" set had Evans Hydraulics too, Musicnut...and to me, they sounded okay...but I'd just started playin' set in the mid-'80's...and had more than a little to learn!

HB, you're right about all those holes and mounting brackets...perhaps that's why DIY bottomless kits sound so bad...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck