Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I....?

User Info Menu

Default Can I....?

can i use water to clean my drum heads?...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can I....?

haha no man
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Drum heads get marked up and dirty, just the nature of the beast.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

maybe if its just a damp sponge with not that much water involved
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

k thx guys....

User Info Menu

you can use water on uncoated and untextured surfaces.

like clear ot smooth white. stuff like that. we cleaned our heads on the line and removed logos with nailpolish remover.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

whats the ruling on black or mesh heads?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

mesh head (electronic drums, i assume) take completely off and hand clean, dont soak...let them dry completely before putting them back on.

Black, Suede(?) my first question would be why do you want to buy a drumhead that will turn your cymbals black? my second question would be why would you want to keep them any longer than you had to?

if your really so cheap that you want to clean your drum heads, i recommend taking a small heat gun/ blow dryer to your dents, get a good set of pinstripes and play lightly. cleaning your cymbals helps get rid of alot of scuff marks on your heads...try wiping those down as well. but they do show their age quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    if your really so cheap that you want to clean your drum heads

That's what I was thinking....
    Matt

User Info Menu

harsh much....im only 15 i dont really get everything i want....and im not cheap its just the fact that i want to try to clean em' instead of spending money....and it's just a question; ive only been drumming for a month...still trying to learn....
    Last edited by dreygard; 09-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreygard View Post
    harsh much....im only 15 i dont really get everything i want....and im not cheap its just the fact that i want to try to clean em' instead of spending money....and it's just a question; ive only been drumming for a month...still trying to learn....
    Yeah, I understand. I'm 16 and I don't exactly have a ton of money to spend either (well, I did a few months ago before I bought all my cymbals...lol).

But anyways, I'm not trying to sound harsh but if you play a drum head to point where it needs to be replaced, cleaning it with water isn't going to make it any more usable.

Maybe you could replace the heads in increments so you don't have to spend all the money at once. That's what I usually do...get a snare head, wait a while, get some tom heads, wait a while...still haven't gotten a bass head.... Also, I've heard every three or four times you switch out batter heads, you should switch out the resos too.

Another thing you can do is save up until you have about $150-200 (depending on the size of your kit) and just do a complete top-and-bottom head change every once in a (long) while.
    Matt

User Info Menu

well homie if youve only been playing for a month i doubt they are in bad enough shape to already be replaced i ussually switch out heads every 3 months man dont worry about changing them after only a month
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Can I....?

Folks Let Us Remind Ourselves That We Are "Phamily" Here
    And We Come Together At All Ages ,Sizes,Talents,and Achievements...
    It Is Sometimes Unfair To Judge All Of Da Particulars
    Of Someone We Might Not Know So Well...

Everyone Of Us Had (And Still Has I Might Add)questions
    Bout Our Craft...tis The Very Soul Of Drumming,
    As Tribal As It May Be,that Info Be Shared...the Job Of The
    Elders Is To Pass On That Experience As To Inspire
    Not Discourage, Our Brothers Ans Sisters,,,
    After All Ya Know What They Say About Opinions,,,,,
    "Everybody's Got One....."
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

trust him, he has a PH-Drum
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Your drum heads are going to get dirty. its ok - let them!! Its just the way it is- unless the head gets dents in them, a clean head is not going to make a whole lot of difference in the sound, so live it up and get makin those things dirty!!

User Info Menu

^ wasnt meant to be offensive...i didnt mean cheap in a bad way, im about as cheap as they come. What i meant by cheap was simply "if you perfer to have new looking heads, then you should probably get clear emperors or clear pinstripes. they show wear far longer into the game as opposed to coated ambassadors or Aquarian which dent easily and scuff real easily"

I refer to cheap also as a means of making things "pretty" in terms of doing things right, instead of changing the head, youll wipe them down?...the average drummer doesnt need to change their heads constantly like i need to for people i work for. odds are You arent going to be on tv, there isnt 12,000 drummers in the audience waiting for you to hit a rim so he can look at his buddies and say "he (screwed) up that outro"

I know most of us cant afford new heads every month, let alone every show.
    but if your that worried about your drums looking pretty, i bet you have an amazing kit.
    Last edited by drummer; 09-18-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: language

User Info Menu

Hey dreygard, just like the "pinstripes" on a 4x4, those stick marks are a badge of honor. They don't affect the sound or the playing, so spend that extra few minutes on rudiments.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Hey dreygard, just like the "pinstripes" on a 4x4, those stick marks are a badge of honor. They don't affect the sound or the playing, so spend that extra few minutes on rudiments.
    they make 4x4 toms?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    ^ wasnt meant to be offensive...i didnt mean cheap in a bad way, im about as cheap as they come. What i meant by cheap was simply "if you perfer to have new looking heads, then you should probably get clear emperors or clear pinstripes. they show wear far longer into the game as opposed to coated ambassadors or Aquarian which dent easily and scuff real easily"

I refer to cheap also as a means of making things "pretty" in terms of doing things right, instead of changing the head, youll wipe them down?...the average drummer doesnt need to change their heads constantly like i need to for people i work for. odds are You arent going to be on tv, there isnt 12,000 drummers in the audience waiting for you to hit a rim so he can look at his buddies and say "he (screwed) up that outro"

I know most of us cant afford new heads every month, let alone every show.
    but if your that worried about your drums looking pretty, i bet you have an amazing kit.
    hey sorry for the words....guess i took it the wrong way
    Last edited by drummer; 09-18-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: language

User Info Menu

If you don't like the scuff marks all over you could switch out your snare head to something that isn't coated. Almost all of the scuffs on mine are from stuff coming off the snare head. I've sen some people with remo powerdots, aquarian studio x, and evans ec2's on their snare. Since your just starting I doubt you really need the coating for brushwork, and if you get extra overtones there is always duct tape and moon gel.

User Info Menu

Newer Members: This is a RESPECTFUL drum forum. Please watch what you say and how you say it. Practice diplomacy. This isn't every other drum forum out there, nor is it You Tube. Be careful how you say things and ask yourself after you post; "Is it respectful?" If the answer is "no" or you even pause because you aren't sure, rewrite it.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

o ye srry drummer i apologized over the private message...to him....i took the words the wrong way...

User Info Menu

hostile takeovers
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Wow, Jeebus Crikey. Let the boy clean his heads. Listen buddy, I too have had the desire to give my heads a good once over. You know what I did? Windex and paper towels. Hell, I windexed and paper toweled my whole friggin kit before. These folks in here trying to battle a 15 year old green horn might wanna think about takin a few more lessons themselves. But just a little advice my new found bretheren to the rythmic arts, if you have bits of dust and such (like stick chunks) wedged in between your head and rim, then I would suggest you take the heads off completely when cleaning. Oh and don't try to "scrub" them either. Just use light preasure and circular motions. You won't get all the marks off, but you will remove alot of the surface grime. And I commend you on taking an interest in the self home-style care of your instrument. Getting familiar with your kit is vital to prgressing as a drummer.

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    they make 4x4 toms?
    I think he was refering to the limb scratches on a four wheel drive after trail riding. A.K.A. "pinstripes" Not to be confused with the REMO pinstripe series drum head.