Thread: Drum rudiment, oh no!!!

User Info Menu

Default Drum rudiment, oh no!!!

well iv just been practicing rudiments for 2 weeks now but for the longest time i just had fun and fooled around the the A LOT. but now I'm getting all uptight about rudiments, there are so many! i dunno if any of you guys felt overwhelmed when you first started rudiments or not. So now I'm not looking forward to drumming as something "fun" to do but more like "crap i gotta my rudiments" sorta thing, and i just don't want rudiments to ruin my drumming journey altogether! so I'm just wondering what you guys did when first learning rudiments, how much should i practice a day?

User Info Menu

Yeah, it can seem intimidating. But if you think about it creatively, it can be quite fun.

There's absolutely no rules as to how much time anyone should spend learning or practicing rudiments. It's obviously nice to have technique and chops that you can apply, but you don't want to put so much stress on this that you're not feeling creative and happy. You should break up your practice so that you achieve goals as well as rocking out and having fun.

A few ideas:

A lot of rudiments are good to warm up with, and then start applying to the set. For example, a basic paradiddle RLRR LRLL can be played on the snare drum (until you feel comfortable with it at any speed), and then move it about: put your right hand on a hi-hat and left hand on the snare and then play it as a beat, adding bass drum and such.

What I do with a lot of rudiments is to practice them first on a snare drum (or practice pad) and then play them as fills on different drums. So you (a) practice the rudiment until you're comfortable with it (b) play a basic beat and (c) insert the rudiment as a fill, played on whatever is close to hand, even moving your hands around different drums and cymbals.

You can try playing rudiments as fills with feet as well as hands (e.g. play a paradiddle between bass drum and hi-hat foot).

The more creative you are, the more fun you'll have, and your drumming will get even better.

User Info Menu

Cool Drum rudiment, oh no!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    well iv just been practicing rudiments for 2 weeks now but for the longest time i just had fun and fooled around the the A LOT. but now I'm getting all uptight about rudiments, there are so many! i dunno if any of you guys felt overwhelmed when you first started rudiments or not. So now I'm not looking forward to drumming as something "fun" to do but more like "crap i gotta my rudiments" sorta thing, and i just don't want rudiments to ruin my drumming journey altogether! so I'm just wondering what you guys did when first learning rudiments, how much should i practice a day?
    First, Lafirin, I like your expression "drumming journey." That's a cool way to look at it, because all of us started "havin' fun and foolin' around," and learning the rudiments are the first steps ya take on that journey from foolin' around to drummin' like a pro.

I felt overwhelmed myself, especially when I began working on the tougher rudiments--but I started studying percussion relatively late in life, and it was something I had wanted to do for a long time. I reminded myself, even if I was in a "crap I gotta learn my rudiments" mood, that it was something I want to do--and do it the best I could. Sure, there were a few lessons that didn't go well, but there were a lot more that did!

Now on practicing: Some drummers keep a practice pad within reach so they can drum to commercials, etc....others practice behind their set or snare (or in my case, my congas ). My drum teacher suggested practicing at least one hour a day (at the outset), but I usually do 30 minutes to an hour at least a couple of times a week. And as jobby suggested, mix it up with different riffs on different drums...and practice a little at a time at first (sometimes it's easier to take smaller bites, so to speak, than tryin' to swallow the elephant all at once). As you develop and become more disciplined, you'll want to go further!
    Last edited by bongobro; 02-13-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

awsome guys, i love this place.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

and heres an amazing ruidement site

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

you can play along with the sound bites, or you can record them with a mic or mp3 player or something and take them wherever you go.

Also there are different speeds for different levels, just keep practicing!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

i use the vic ferth one amputechture. I agree it is amazing

User Info Menu

When I was taking lessons back in the '80's I HATED doing rudiments!! Now, I wish I practiced them with the understanding of the importance that they have in the grand scheme of drumming.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah i guess im lucky I understand how importance Rudiments can be in the long run :D