Thread: Started playing maybe a year and a half ago...

User Info Menu

Question Started playing maybe a year and a half ago...

and we put these songs on myspace a few months back:

http://www.myspace.com/firebirdsofthearcticice

and i mean by the title that ive personally been playing for about a year and a half, still learning every single day. the other guys have been in and out of several bands, over several years, on several tours... its fairly intimidating actually. anyhow, they ask mostly for straight beats, heavy as hell, with minimal fills and whatnot. we recorded these in my loft when we were a 3 piece, we have since procured another lead guitar/backup vocal... and ive recently been attempting to incorporate a double kick b/c they gallup so much. our name is *Fire birds ofthe Arctic Ice*... im near positive no one else has ever thought of calling a band that name so it should be semi-permanent.

some constructive criticism would be appreciated, as far as the drums go, tia
    Last edited by Arctic Bird; 10-21-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: name

User Info Menu

Default first band, general input appreciated

just started playing drums lil bit over a year ago. we recorded these about may of this year, so ive improved a tad since, like galluping and double bass, but i guess you get the idea. im constantly being asked to keep it simple and hit everything as hard as possible. not much for dynamics here, but let me know what you guys think:

(constructive criticism much appreciated)

Last edited by Arctic Bird; 09-19-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added
    the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Mapex Pro M Rock, w/ medium A customs, Mastersounds hats, Aquarian Super Kick II, Remo Pinstripes, gilded w/IRON COBRA double pedal

Private in PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Default Re: first band, general input appreciated

reminds me of the punk days as a confused teenagers
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You guys sound pretty good Arctic Bird, and you drumming sound pretty solid too!

BTW, I am from Murfreesboro too - Bethel United Methodist Church to be exact. Nice to have another Murfreesboroean here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    You guys sound pretty good Arctic Bird, and you drumming sound pretty solid too!

BTW, I am from Murfreesboro too - Bethel United Methodist Church to be exact. Nice to have another Murfreesboroean here!
    live in lascassas, but work in the 'boro. small world, eh? are there baseball diamonds near you?
    the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Mapex Pro M Rock, w/ medium A customs, Mastersounds hats, Aquarian Super Kick II, Remo Pinstripes, gilded w/IRON COBRA double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Bird View Post
    live in lascassas, but work in the 'boro. small world, eh? are there baseball diamonds near you?
    Yes, we have a couple of Little League fields across the street. I am in the Leanna area.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

just started playing drums lil bit over a year ago. we recorded these about may of this year, so ive improved a tad since, ...
    No way...sounds like you've been playing much longer than that ! Good job, man. You guys sound pretty good...have a distinctive style. Rock On

User Info Menu

im constantly being asked to keep it simple and hit everything as hard as possible.
    Can't say I agree with this...

But I checked it out and liked what I heard! Pretty good for not playing for very long, keep it up!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies so far guys. what we were trying to do was just some heavy rock/metal with defined accents, nothing 'muddy', or 'slop rock'. well weve got 5 new songs we are working on so ill try and get them uploaded when we can break out a decent recording.

User Info Menu

sounds good, but is that electronic drums?

if not someone dubbed over your tracks, i hear three different snare sounds on "eyes of firebird" alone

listen carefully, one is extremely muted, next is open 7 or bigger snare, then one is cranked high like a piccolo or head is way too tight.

very solid for only being 1 year into it.

suggestions, buy a Tama RW01 or Dr. Beat metronome, and practice doubles and paradiddles, you will be a badass with those....especially at the 1:46 mark of "into oblivion"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    sounds good, but is that electronic drums?

if not someone dubbed over your tracks, i hear three different snare sounds on "eyes of firebird" alone

listen carefully, one is extremely muted, next is open 7 or bigger snare, then one is cranked high like a piccolo or head is way too tight.

very solid for only being 1 year into it.

suggestions, buy a Tama RW01 or Dr. Beat metronome, and practice doubles and paradiddles, you will be a badass with those....especially at the 1:46 mark of "into oblivion"
    there was one where i had to use some dampening b/c i couldnt tune out the ring while recording. in fact, i think on firebrand he had to use Reason to replace the snare b/c i couldnt get it right. we had such a limited time to get this stuff done, the bass/lead vocal was leaving for poland, so i had to get all these tracks laid down in like 3 evenings after work. i think next time, i will at least have a chance to listen much more carefully before rushing to completion. i just want to make sure that anything we record can be reproduced live, principle kind of thing i guess.

and yes also, we were just discussing about how when we get to that part in oblivion, it just drags, and when you are playing its just like: ok let's just get thru this part da dee da. thunderous toms will be incorporated on the remix. good ear man, that's exactly the kind of input i was fishing for. ill do some research on the tama, thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Started playing maybe a year and a half ago...

sounds good man not bad for only a year and a half!

User Info Menu

Hey Arctic Bird, that was fantastic for only a year and a half! Great job!
    Matt

User Info Menu

AB, you sound excellent for having only played for a year and a half!

User Info Menu

Pretty good dude, I like the sound.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

yeah i dig it. theres not much variety but its good.

User Info Menu

Pretty good sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    yeah i dig it. theres not much variety but its good.
    yeah, we actually have 5 new songs now with the addition of a new geetar. all of which of pretty radically different from the myspace stuff. hopefully, i can post a vid an a few weeks after our first show.

Larrysperf Guest

was good but to much of the same sound for all them songs. And you wernt using ekits at all HMMMMMMMM

User Info Menu

haha, no e-kits here larry. in fact, ive never touched one in my life. the guy that recorded us though dubbed over the snare in some of the songs using a program called 'reason'.

User Info Menu

this is great music

the recording is a bit thin, besides that its great