Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanding bearing edges........oh lord.

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Default sanding bearing edges........oh lord.

SOOooo, I recently found that the majority of my toms are not "true" meaning that when placed on a flat glass surface, there is space around some of the edges. SOOOoooo, I am going to sand them straight. They are only off by one to two milimeters. My question is, after this is done will I have to re-do that bearing edge or will that small amount of sanding be a non issue with the bearing edge?

User Info Menu

Default Re: sanding bearing edges........oh lord.

No!!! never do this unless you KNOW what your doing...

What city are you in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    No!!! never do this unless you KNOW what your doing...

What city are you in?
    Sandcity, CA ?

Seriously, I think sanding off part of the bearing edge would make your drums sound worse then before. Better let a skilled person take look at it. Just my $.02.
    E kit: TD-9KX with VH-11 and v-cowbell and Diamond Drums custom snare
    A kit: Gretsch Renown and Masterwork cymbals

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
    Sandcity, CA ?

Seriously, I think sanding off part of the bearing edge would make your drums sound worse then before. Better let a skilled person take look at it. Just my $.02.
    EXACTLY!!! I have heard horror stories where guys would do this and regret trying it. Take it to someone that does repairs like this.

Larrysperf Guest

Or if it is a small nick get 2 part epoxy and fill them in

User Info Menu

if you really want to attempt this and your really good at measurements and math, i can send you a diagram showing how bearing edges should look for every classification of drum known to man; for every style of music there is...but even me, being a PROFESSIONAL drumtech, amatuer drum builder, custom repairs, and customization, STILL GO TO A LOCAL DRUM SHOP FOR THIS.

its better to have naturally flattened bearing edges, similar to a vintage kit, or slightly askew edges than to have incorrectly done ones

...you cant fix it if you take too much off

Well I'm in Panama City FLA. There isn't anyone in this hell hole of a tourist trap that works on drums. That diagram you speak of sounds nice. I am good with measurements and math. I believe I have access to a table router and have a jig idea that I have thought out in my head to make sure everybody stays in line. But if the price is fair and the locale close I may consider sending them off. I'm quite aware of the delicateness involved here. The method of sanding I was going to use is as follows; I have a 28 inch diameter glass surface, (round) Using spray adhesive I would cover the surface with superfine sandpaper (220 or finer), using a carpenters pencil on the top of the edge rub on some graphite ( like you do your finger on crystal to make it hum) Using only the wieght of the drum itself and turning in one direction only, sand until the pencil mark just dissappears. Like I said, only one to two milimeters. No good?

User Info Menu

send it to precisiondrum, theyll take care of it for 10 bucks
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Heck yeah! I love precision. However, most local drum shops have the capability to either create or correct bearing edges. Definitely don't do it yourself.

User Info Menu

precision has better tools and experience for those procedures than most shops
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Has any body on this forum done anything like this, with good results? I visited a local place with a drum source I highly trust, (He collects, refurbishes, and researches vint. luds) and from my description of one, my problem, two, my method, said that I will be fine. From my research I've found that with careful work and preperation even major bearing edge repair is not a mystery. Don't get me wrong, I have heeded all of your comments and warnings and considered all of the risks involved. I still feel confident in my procedures. I would like to hear from someone who has performed this with satisfactory results. And hey, if I whined up in a snafu then sending them off will still be an option. Remember, we're only talking about one to two millimeters here. A far cry from way out of round.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

agreed+1

User Info Menu

lemme know how it goes though man, ive been through it too cause one time i had them reduce a 20" bass drum depth to a 16", and when they sent it back to me ONE SIDE WAS FLAT EDGED! so i had to pay out the pocket both for the return ship back to get the same edges restored that i had before they cut it. i tell ya man, the things we do for a good drum sound
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

So I have now trued my edges and am beginning preperation of the jig for my routing table. I decided to go ahead with re-cutting my edges even though the amount removed from sanding was minimal to say the least. Upon inspection after sanding, the edges all apeared to be in good shape, but my father in-law has a router with a table, SOOoooo, why not.

Oh yeah, by the way. None of them were off by any more than 3/4 of one millimeter. Gotta love feeler gauges.

User Info Menu

Just take this from someone who works at a hand crafted drum factory... sand paper will do (at least bigger then the diameter of the drum). Glue it to a piece of word for a hard surface to sand on. and its just as simple as turning the the drum (obviously with heads and hoops off) on the sanding mat. This will make it run true. If you need help with this, put pernament marker on the bearing edge where it is too low and just sand until until the marks are gone. Then to get the edge to its original size, sand with an electric sander with 45 degree taper on the inside. And don't forget to sand lightly on the outside of the bearing edge by hand, being careful not to scratch the outside of the shell as you don't want that edge to be sharp unless you want it to break your drum heads

User Info Menu

Another way to do it is to take full sheets of sand paper and spray glue them (non overlapping)but touching on all sides to a peice of plywood that is flat. Glue enough sand paper to the plywood to sand the edge of the largest drum that you want to true up. I would use 150 grit so as not to take too much off too fast. Place the drum on the sandpapered plywood and gently move it back and forth keeping it as flat as possiable until the drum is trued. Then recut your bearing edges on a router table. Or have them recut professionaly.

[QUOTE=Brady;246297]Just take this from someone who works at a hand crafted drum factory... sand paper will do (at least bigger then the diameter of the drum). Glue it to a piece of word for a hard surface to sand on. and its just as simple as turning the the drum (obviously with heads and hoops off) on the sanding mat. This will make it run true. If you need help with this, put pernament marker on the bearing edge where it is too low and just sand until until the marks are gone. Then to get the edge to its original size, sand with an electric sander with 45 degree taper on the inside. And don't forget to sand lightly on the outside of the bearing edge by hand, being careful not to scratch the outside of the shell as you don't want that edge to be sharp unless you want it to break your drum heads [/QUOT

Thank you for the advice, though I have alrady done the work utilizing a 40 inch diameter glass table top. Using spray adhesive, I place my sheets of sand paper end to end and side to side covering the whole surface area. Using my son's crayons I made marks on my old edges and sanded till they were gone. Total cost thus far... $10.36

Quote Originally Posted by dt344 View Post
    Heck yeah! I love precision. However, most local drum shops have the capability to either create or correct bearing edges. Definitely don't do it yourself.
    Why are so many people scared to do this work. I will never understand. If you are smart enough to play drums in the first place, (because of the coordination, multi tasking, and math it involves) then you are plenty able to work a router. It is not rocket science people. Why pay money to a company when you can do the same thing in your garage or basement. Here is another forum just for home drum building [sorry PGD, but Forum Rules prohibit linking to other forums -PB] Check it out, and over come your fear, build your confidence and become more familiar with your instrument than you ever thought. I bet you take your car to the shop to get an alignment too huh? Wake up people, these things are easier than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Another way to do it is to take full sheets of sand paper and spray glue them (non overlapping)but touching on all sides to a peice of plywood that is flat. Glue enough sand paper to the plywood to sand the edge of the largest drum that you want to true up. I would use 150 grit so as not to take too much off too fast. Place the drum on the sandpapered plywood and gently move it back and forth keeping it as flat as possiable until the drum is trued. Then recut your bearing edges on a router table. Or have them recut professionaly.
    Plywood is the worst you can use for this. Glass or formica (like your countertop at home) is the preffered material for flatness. Ply needs much re enforcement to remain level, and can react adversly to humidity and temperature. Plus, the back and forth method of sanding you refer to I hope is not front to back type. Jeez no wonder so many of you are scared of this. The correct method is in one circular direction as if the drum was spinning on a turntable. And in that direction only. Do not reverse direction for this will tear the wood. Ya'll should really check out this other forum and see some of the stave drums being turned out. Now that is something not for the novice.

User Info Menu

Excuse me PDG but you came here for advice and you got it by the members here. Then you put down that advice by belittling the members here with your own success and front end alignments? Neither are driveway projects. Come on, man.

Look, I'm a carpenter and cabinetmaker. I build race cars and bikes for a hobby. I'm 54 years old and have been in the trades from 17. Nothing is simple without skill sets and tool knowledge. I understand and respect your need to do it yourself and you may have the skill but you asked the question and the members here tried to help.

Many don't have the experience or skill to do it themselves. Just as you posted your original question, you, apparently didn't either. It's good your experiment worked out for you. If anyone could do it, there would be no need for drum shops or builders.

Lighten up and be appreciative these folks answered and tried to help. That's what this forum is all about.

Good luck on your future projects and FWIW, I wouldn't worry about millimeters on a drum edge. Wood moves a lot more than that with season and humidity changes.

Oh, and your link to that drum site doesn't go anywhere but an available .com for sale.

I hope this didn't come off too harsh. It isn't intended to be. Good luck on future projects, you seem to have the passion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Project-Green-Destiny View Post
    Plywood is the worst you can use for this. Glass or formica (like your countertop at home) is the preffered material for flatness. Ply needs much re enforcement to remain level, and can react adversly to humidity and temperature. Plus, the back and forth method of sanding you refer to I hope is not front to back type. Jeez no wonder so many of you are scared of this. The correct method is in one circular direction as if the drum was spinning on a turntable. And in that direction only. Do not reverse direction for this will tear the wood. Ya'll should really check out this other forum and see some of the stave drums being turned out. Now that is something not for the novice.
    If you notice I said flat plywood!!! another thing is to work slow, (I can't imagine anyone on here wanting to glue sand paper to their counter tops) I will conceed that I should have said twist the shell however if you work slowly and with 150 grit paper which really isn't all that course, you could work back and forth with no problem without tearing the plys apart on the shell.

I too am no stranger to woodwork and the use of a routertable/shaper and jig and could easily recut my own bearing edges. With that said however, many on this forum have not had enough experience here to feel comfortable using a router to recut their own edges, and would never attempt the risk of botching the job and ruin their prize possesions.

You obviously think that you know so much more than us all, so good luck to you!

What an arrogant tool!

User Info Menu

Alright guys, lets please keep this thread from getting too heated. And no name calling please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Alright guys, lets please keep this thread from getting too heated. And no name calling please.
    ahhhh crap!!! just when it was getting good.

keep smilin peeps, life is way too short!!

I miss Frank.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

maybe it's just me, but i would not want to take on doing my own edges without the right machine for a perfect job. and also i'm gonna suggest to wait until you finish a few other custom related jobs before you take on shellwork of any kind. if i was just starting out getting into DIY projects, i wouldn't try lacquering or making stave shells- i'd do something small like learning how to put together a new drum with purchased parts and pre-worked shells, and then use my old drumshell that i replaced for learning to drill holes, add/remove a wrap, stain/sand, etc etc. i'm not saying never learn to sand by hand or machine and work your own shells, all i'm emphasizing is i think there are baby steps you must take and smaller simpler jobs you should do first before taking on riskier tasks. better to play it safe when you have a certain amount of money on the line right?
    Last edited by Russ; 11-26-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments