Thread: Independence issues

User Info Menu

Default Independence issues

I am fairly new to drumming. i have been seriously practicing for about 3 months, but have been fiddling for about a year. My issues are:

When doing doubles on the bass drum my right hand if on the ride for example tends to want to follow the speed of my foot, and not maintain the austanado.

Working on maintaining a count with my right foot on the highhat when doing different things around the kit.

What I am doing to help this is just doing a left right combo with my right and left foot on the highhat and bassdrum while playing some rudiments with my hands. Still when I am attempting doubles my right had is very stubborn and wants to follow my right foot.

Any help or exercise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nick

User Info Menu

Default Re: Independence issues

are you trying to learn simultaneous hand/foot rolls?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nick, the best cure for limb indendence problems is to slow down until you can make every motion happen as it should. You might have to slow down to a crawl, but each time you do it correctly, your brain establishes a link for the muscle movements required - muscle memory. Once the muscle memory becomes ingrained, you can begin gradually speeding it up.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

No I am just trying to throw in a double on the bass every once in a while and when i do that my right hand speeds up on the high hat and the beat sounds choppy> it almost stops for a split second.

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob,

Thanks I have been trying to do that and I'm sure anyone who has been where I am gets frustrated. I am also trying to work on independence by doing triplets. Tom, floor tom, kick. Starting slowly and trying to build speed. Something that seems so easy is actually not from what I am gathering...lol

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm going through my frustrations too. It seems like it should all be so simple, and yet...

Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

try single bass triplets followed by double bass quads. you'll be a solo god. just make sure to tune your bass drum(s) right, i often have different tones because im carrying the beat across two different basses.

try this one (T,S,B),(S,S,B)x2,(S,S,S)
    (T,S,B,B),(S,S,B,B)x2,(S,S,S)

if you dont have a double pedal just try the first
    Last edited by Russ; 09-15-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was having the same problem with one of the grooves my drum teacher gave me. you could try the beat form Kashmir or When the Levee Breaks they both have 2 kicks that are in between the hi hat. All I did was slow it down really really slow. the part I was having trouble with was on 3& part of the beat and it had a bass note on the e in between. So I just did hi hat bass together about 1000 times.
    Last edited by Atomic; 09-15-2009 at 08:41 PM.

User Info Menu

man if your already into rudiments, your gonna be amazing in no time. keep up the great work!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very typical problem, it will come with lots of practice. Subdivide all the parts, slow it down, and counting makes a huge difference.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input. I have been sucking it up and slowing down. Eventually the fluidness will come I'm assuming. Thanks again.

On a side note I am beginning lessons on Saturday...

Nick
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

I had the same issue Acq. One thing that helped me was by playing a simple rhythm of straight eighth notes on my snare (1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+), and playing the bass beat on the up beat or the "+". Start it slow and count out loud.

It helped to convince my brain that my right foot didn't always have to match right wrist.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

i learned from a tommy aldridge video, to play opposite stances for the whole time you practice with the beats your good at, and eventually youll build your weak stance at least halfway up to your strong stance and youll develop equal force in both hands cause they will work independently, but together
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments