Thread: Lp/cp Congas

User Info Menu

Default Lp/cp Congas

Am confused.......I was looking at a set of Matador Congas and all this time I thought LP made them. When I did a close up picture it said on the sticker MATADOR by CP. Are these two brands the same? Yes.......am still shopping for congas.

Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lp/cp Congas

giadan0914...What leedy says makes sense, but I have to say that if you can get your hands on a nice set of Matadors like those in the pictures you should not hesitate. Matadors have proven themselves over and over as being one very good quality drum and good sound as well.
    Do yourself a favor and take a look at this link on youtube. It shows the Conga player for Orquesta De La Luz doing a very nice solo on some great sounding Matadors that look just like the ones in the picture you posted.
    p.s....The Timbalero is does a wicked solo as well!

Hi Leedy2...I hope you are doing well my friend.
    TROPICAT.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hltBN-U1MY0&feature=related"]YouTube - ORQUESTA DE LA LUZ - DESCARGA[/ame]

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

If the price is right and those were in my neck of the woods they'd be mine! Those are the Matadors that people who love Matadors want! Matadors with the traditional rims! Some people pay a few bucks to converts their Matador comfort curve to the traditional rim with the Matador logo! BTW That is one beautiful set!
    L4C

User Info Menu

TROPICAT Thanks for the video, nice solo by the Conguero and the Timbale solo was wild I like it!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Congas has never been taken out of the smoke free home........$280 ok?

User Info Menu

$350 is a good deal! you better get them before thier gone!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Lp/cp Congas

Most any conga made by LP is a good choice, juancho...

The problem, if there is any, is the name on the drums!

UNLESS Kaman Music has spun off CP (Cosmic Percussion), I understand that it is still a sub-line of LP (Latin Percussion). The brand was launched about 1984 to provide "aspiring" drummers of all types a good starter kit at a reasonable price. Yes, kit, since at one time, CP offered a drum set as well as bongos and congas. The drum kits never took off, but the CPs found a place with more than a few bongo brothers (four of my five congas are CPs, BTW).

If LP was a car company, CP would be like Chevrolet or Ford.

While CPs are still being made and sold, most players are now buying Aspires as "starter" congas and bongos or regular LP drums (more to follow). The Aspire line is essentially the CP line with the magic LP monogram on them; the CP models are still being sold (in fact the pair I broke in for my drum- teacher buddy the other night are identical to pastor_bob's Aspire congas, right down to the light ash finish, except for the name on the shell!). Either is a good choice--just depends on which first initial you prefer.

Matador was introduced about 1987 as a mid-range line, a step-up from the CP line but without the LP badges (or the cost). TROPICAT, my drum teacher had a pair of Matadors on which I took many conga lessons through the early 2000s and they were every bit as great as some LPs I've played.

These would be like Mercury or Oldsmobile (if GM still built Oldsmobiles).

LP needs no explanation...they would be the Lincoln or Cadillac, but there are now sublines among this range, too...the Patato, Galaxy, and Giovannis would be like DTS, CTS, MKZ, MKX, etc...

I agree with L4C, bro'--if you haven't, grab those drums and start rockin'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thank you all. Excellent information provided and examples.
    Lord bless
    Juancho

User Info Menu

Intresting analogy with the big US car companies and I pretty much agree with it. If a Lincoln or Cadilac is your choice of cars, then LP is perhaps the way for you to go. However, many of us are aware of what has happened to US cars over the years - and the analogy still holds. When LP went to Thailand things changed. When LP sold out to Kaman (especially if you care at all about politics and morality) things changed again. I do think that your choice of car, to a degree, reflects on you as a person. Congas too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by giadan0914 View Post
    Am confused.......I was looking at a set of Matador Congas and all this time I thought LP made them. When I did a close up picture it said on the sticker MATADOR by CP. Are these two brands the same? Yes.......am still shopping for congas.

Almost looks like my set! I paid $400 on craigslist for my Matador set w/ bongos!
    Great drums! giadan0914
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Now that I started carrying on about LP I'll just add this.

Most of the mass produced congas, regardless of the brand, are produced in the same factory in Thailand. Most shells are constructed of "environmentally-friendly siam oak" which is neither environmentally-friendly nor is it oak. In fact, of all the different wood traditionally used to make conga drums, e.g.,red oak, white oak, mahogany, cedar, cherry, walnut, ash, etc. etc., all are far better woods sonically than the rubber tree wood used in most of the new mass produced congas. In many drums the rubber wood is pressed into a plywood with glue between the plies absorbing, and distorting, the sound.

In addition, most of the animal skin traditionally used for hand drum heads, i.e., cow, steer, mule, horse, goat, etc., etc., resonate better and produce a much richer sound than the water buffalo skin used on almost all of the new mass produced in Thailand congas.

There are many great drums, at good prices available now, especially if you hunt around at pawn shops or on Ebay and Craigslist. And, to continue the car analogy, the value of a classic goes up over time as opposed to going down the minute you drive it out of the showroom.