Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Barefoot

User Info Menu

Default Playing Barefoot

When I was young, I played the drumset with barefeet. I grew out of that but I still occasionally see guys play barefoot, even as adults.

What do guys think of this?

User Info Menu

I always played barefoot or in socks when at home. I still like to. When playing out, I used to wear wrestling shoes for their THIN, flexable soles. They allowed me to be able to "feel" the pedals. Now, I'll ware Vans or barefoot/socks. Anything but workboots - too heavy.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

i've always played in converse but one of my students plays barefoot....i figr theres nothing wrong with it...just do whatevr works well 4 u

User Info Menu

Just be careful if you play barefoot, what if you have run out in a hurry, if the joint catches fire or something...LOL. I know, that was dumb, but seriously, I started with my vans on, then went barefoot...LOL, but I can do with either or. I have noticed that with certain sneakers, like my crosstrainers, they have soo much cushion, that it really screws me up, and I usually wear them on Wednesday night service with some athletic pants....

I might try that light wrestling shoe idea...Thanks
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

yeah the wrestling shoe is idea is good but whenever i play barefoot my feet feel funny and cold until i start useing my feet alot
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

i've found that i play the double pedal a little bit tighter with thick heavy shows like doc martins or somthing but i still wear converse most of the time just cuz that's wut i usually wear anywhere...but every now and then i play in my heavy shows and it actually improves my skills when i go back to the converse...i think it's like the same idea as adding those ankle weights when u prac.

User Info Menu

I always practice barefooted. But it depends on the gig as to what my dogs wear. I think barefeet with a tux is a joke...but an outdoor summer gig is cool (literally!). Rick Allen ALWAYS plays barefooted...but I guess it's kinda tough for him to tie his shoes. But the mother still kicks A55 !!!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    I always practice barefooted. But it depends on the gig as to what my dogs wear. I think barefeet with a tux is a joke...but an outdoor summer gig is cool (literally!). Rick Allen ALWAYS plays barefooted...but I guess it's kinda tough for him to tie his shoes. But the mother still kicks A55 !!!

LOL...with a Tux...thats a great picture!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Whatever Usually Bare Foot

User Info Menu

I was watching the Rush R30 DVD the other day, and Peart was wearing--in addition to that really cool African hat on his head!!--these ugly f**ing black boots on his feet. But hey, like someone else said, whatever works for you! And with Peart, you never need to question whether it works or not! That man can play! I also got the Grace Under Pressure DVD (Rush Replay release), and the man was playing this really funky rhythm doing the Digital Man, and every repeat of it had him doing one thing with his left hand, something else with his left foot, and the bass (of course) with his right...while his right hand flipped the stick one revolution every time and came in to continue the rhythm! It was unbelievable! Bow to the master!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    When I was young, I played the drumset with barefeet. I grew out of that but I still occasionally see guys play barefoot, even as adults.

What do guys think of this?
    You were young ???!!!!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

I like to change... Shoes restrict your feet a little. But i wouldnt say its enough to worry anyone. But a nice lightweight pair of shoes that mould nice to the peddals would suit me fine one day :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

You know, I don't mind playing in socks, or even barefoot, except that the pedals can be a tad cold at first if I'm barefoot. But I would never play another set barefoot, and I wouldn't want anyone else to play my set barefoot. I've seen way too much athlete's foot in my time.

User Info Menu

Default haha mean

drumming in barefoots aaall good

User Info Menu

I always drum barefoot. I find it much mmore comfortable.

User Info Menu

yeah im like drumming in bare feet. like some people here said, shoes have to much choushin and i cant feel the pedal and it screws me up. I think you could bring your shoes to a gig or something, and if there easy to slip of.. then you could just take your shoes of beside your kit and throw em on when ur done the gig.

User Info Menu

i cant do it. the left beater on my dbl pedal springs back and nails my right foot really hard when i switch from left pedal to my hi hat. i tried it once and got myself a monster bruise on the top of my foot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i cant do it. the left beater on my dbl pedal springs back and nails my right foot really hard when i switch from left pedal to my hi hat. i tried it once and got myself a monster bruise on the top of my foot.
    Sort of sounds like getting your knuckles rapped by a piano teacher when "you're doing it wrong." Sorry to be laughing at your bruise, Funky. It just seemed a little funny. I'm sure it wasn't at the time, though!

User Info Menu

I drum in barefeet, except now I'm trying that heel toe thing and I have to wear shoes.......

User Info Menu

i drum barefoot but in winter its really cold. i like to play in anything just to get used to playing with different types of shoes. Barefeet is most comfortable though

User Info Menu

yeah DC, it hurts my heal with heal toe, especcially when your learning the technique, because your always trying to bash ur heal into the back of your pedal, well it was like that for me. and with the coldness of your beater=ow..

User Info Menu

I like wearing just socks. It really helps for the heel toe method, cause you can slip your heel off into the toe part.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    yeah DC, it hurts my heal with heal toe, especcially when your learning the technique, because your always trying to bash ur heal into the back of your pedal, well it was like that for me. and with the coldness of your beater=ow..
    Exactly! I'm finding that I like that technique but I think it's more difficult then I've seen in some of the youtube videos..... What do you think Laf?

User Info Menu

Hey guys, maybe you could clear something up for me. I saw the video for the heel-toe technique, so I understand that (different from saying I can do it). Then I was talking to a guy at my local music store, and he said their is also a technique where you move your foot side to side. Has anyone heard of that one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Hey guys, maybe you could clear something up for me. I saw the video for the heel-toe technique, so I understand that (different from saying I can do it). Then I was talking to a guy at my local music store, and he said their is also a technique where you move your foot side to side. Has anyone heard of that one?
    Someone was talking about it on here, I'll try to find it for you..... BRB