Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need A New Kit... Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default I Need A New Kit... Suggestions?

I'm in the UK, I've got a budget of about 6-800 pounds, and I'm looking for a 4 piece shell pack. Ideal set up being one rack tom and two floor.
    I don't need any hardware, I have all the stands I need.
    I'm just looking for a nice, deep sounding kit, with plenty of bounce to it, if you get me?
    I don't exactly know what words to use to describe what I want, but I hope someone can help out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Need A New Kit... Suggestions?

if by "bounce" you mean its bright then maybe smaller toms ?
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

premier is still based in england and those drums never get old...they started selling ****ty quality in the us but english versions are top notch...

should be relatively cheap with no taxes, imports, or tarriffs

User Info Menu

im sure my drums only weigh 50 pounds at the least, why are yours so heavy?! hahaha
    ZIINNGGGGG!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

make some from amdrumparts, they are pretty cheap and amazing quality
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    im sure my drums only weigh 50 pounds at the least, why are yours so heavy?! hahaha
    ZIINNGGGGG!
    boooooooooooooooo

Hissssssssssssssssss

Who am I kidding.... I wish I said it!

Gretsch Catalina Club.... shazzam!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    ZIINNGGGGG!
    Top joker

Cheers for the help though guys, I'll look into those companies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

Gretsch Catalina Club.... shazzam!
    I'll be honest, I didn't actually see this part of your post until now.
    As it happens, I was looking around at kits online, and stumbled across the Gretsch Cataline Club kit. I actually played one of these at one of my band's shows last year, and loved it.

So even though I didn't realise you'd said it, thank you for suggesting it

I'm gonna head to my local music store next week and see what price he can get hold of one for, and hopefully I should be playing this kit by the end of the year. I didn't realise that it'd be at such a decent price! The site that I find it on has it on sale at £569.05 (which works out at $931.31) so I'm gonna see what else I can do price-wise. But thank you

User Info Menu

14 piece pearl masters might weigh 800 pounds
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

speaking of gretsch catalina clubs, do you guys know anything about the gretsch catalina club MINI MODS, like the ones with black widow or yellow jacket finish. Are they as good quality? worth the money? do they actually look mini compared to a person behind them playing?
    ~The T-DAWG

User Info Menu

tdawg, here are the specs on a Black Widow mini mod:

Catalina Club “Mini Mod” groove kit sizes: 20 x 20 bass drum, 8 x 12 tom, 12 x 14 floor tom and 6 x 13 snare.

The toms aren't as deep as normal, but I have heard nothing but good things from those who have played them. To me, though, unless you're getting a good discount (and I've seen some out there) I might consider paying just a little more and getting the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i dont know of a lot of people who play catalina club, but for the life of me i cant think of a reason not to. it doesn't cost a lot, it has a short fat sustain which i absolutely loved, and guess what? it has multiple configurations(back when i played it i used a 26" bass drum). excellent kit for beginners, intermediates, heck anyone can rock a club rock! love those things man

heres just a quick observation of things i know about various companies so far:

ddrum is well known for having solid 4 piece kits, as are a few other brands. but they offer more variety in these instances for 4 and 5 piece kits like you are looking for. far as i know, their "dominator" series gives you the option of 26" bass, 16 and 18" floor toms, and a 6x1/2 snare, in either acrylic or maple shells. if these setups are a bit too pricey, they do offer other 4 piece outfits such as those found in dominion series- ash, amx, duofade, and the maples. they really do have a lot of options to choose from as far as their drum series'. the advantage of amx's, is you get to combine their deepest snare sizes(7x13, 7x14) and bass sizes(22x20, 24x20) with some shallower tom sizes(12x8, 14x10) for a unique sound all your own. one thing that's interesting about ddrum is they employ die cast hoops on most lines, but certain lines have special "powder coated" die cast hoops, available for all sizes on some series. some people like them, some dont, i think it's cool for aesthetic reasons, but die cast already does it's job of cutting down overtones and raising volume without adding the extra weight of a powder coat paintjob. over some time, it's possible for the coating to wear out and the metallic core of the rim to show, making it look unsightful. the company claims they have replaced all processes to powder coat their rims, for the black nickel type. they are less dark and thick looking aesthetically, but they resist more wear and sound the same. problem solved.

yamaha stage custom/tour custom lines have some excellent 4 pieces, some in preconfigured sizes, but with add on drums of each size readily available at many sites so no need for a special order, they do not however offer shell sizes larger than 24" like ddrum does, but are held to a higher standard because of how old the company is versus ddrum. they do also have unique shell depths on some of their lines for the bass drums in particular;(17") i believe. i have heard nobody does birch like them, and the stage custom birch lines are no joke. though those two lines have limited number of finishes, believe me they are the real deal- i have personally seen and played both of these sets and had to leave before drooling all over them, i liked them this much. the new stage customs are 100% birch, as yamaha finally embraced the need for a more accessible birch drumset so more people could afford it, but the paintjob is an almost transparent lacquer, does look quite stunning. the same applies to the tour custom as well, in my eyes flawless. the bearing edges on the stage custom are clean 45 degree, for a nice resonant attack; the bearing edges on the tour custom are 60 degrees, for a rounder balanced point between fully resonating and not resonating- real balanced in my opinion. both of these are excellent choices but the stage custom birch would be the more affordable route.

sonor makes the claim that they make all their drumshells in the sonor factory, and holds the quality of their drums to great esteem. for the man strapped for cash but wants a nice sounding 4 piece, they like mapex used to do, offer an extra drum for the configuration they list, this may appeal to those of us wanting to have larger kits but may not appeal to the ones who need to work within a limited space. on the force 2007/3007 lines they use 17.5" depths for the bass drum, but all the other drum sizes are pretty standard; i havent seen snares deeper then standard 5.5 however. they dont have virgin bass drums, although the drums in the force line are a very good value because of both the quality of the shells and the fact that they are 9 ply, so any kind of volume necessity won't be an issue.

pearl is always popular with lots of people, excellent hardware, shells, and my experience with their customer service on the phone about replacing my ch-70 cymbal holders was better than i expected. in your price range i imagine you'll be wanting to get one of the upper level visions, maybe a vbx as they are still within your grasp. haven't played them myself or know much about them, but im envious of those that have. i suppose the two things i like best about the vision birch or maple lines, are 1) the bonus tom, and 2) 6/8 shell ply with SST(superior shell technology) 6 ply snare and toms, and 8 ply floor toms and bass. really a beautiful combination, and should sound sensational mixed up together and a joy to play.

mapex is probably my personal favorite, i like how attentive they are to certain details. currently im playing a pro m, i originally paid 550 for a 6 piece shell pack which over time i have expanded. the good points about mapex are it's emphasis on the use of thin shells, light hardware, and an amazing warranty. mapex is infamous for their total isolation on their upper saturn and orion lines- this means that nothing goes through the shell except lugs, and all legs, tom suspension, and tom mounts are installed under some lugs on the drums themselves, very cool. the price range of kit you would be looking at here are meridians, an interesting development for them; as opposed to pro m/m birch lines of the past, the tom mount on the bass drum is more "full on" meaning it didnt float as much as the old design did. you can special order a bass drum without the mount, but this can get messy and time consuming believe me. the tom holder looks a little different, the cost is down a bit from what it was when pro m's and m birches first came out, and this time mapex is using 6ply on all drums instead of 7 like before. the finishes are also not quite as numerous, and there aren't many owners of them to request reviews for at this time. 6ply is my favorite count because it surrenders equal characteristics in attack, resonance, and overall volume. they also come equipped with remo pinstripe heads, so you dont have to be afraid to play stock heads for awhile to save money. try them before you buy them of course, but i imagine you can't lose here.

i hope this helps somehow, good luck on your search friend. im sure whatever you choose will turn out very great, and it's good your curious!
    Last edited by Russ; 09-30-2009 at 05:56 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If you want a 1up 2down kit, you can get a PDP 805?
    I made a deal with my drum shop and got the shellpack for 750 euro's, I got the all-white in big sizes (24" kick, 13" rack, 16 and 18" floor and 14" snare).
    Those big sizes need some dampening, but they sound great. I'm positive the small sizes are worth a look for you! (20" kick, 12" rack, 14 and 2+" floor and a 13" snare)

A friend of mine plays a Club Mod, it looks really nice, but personally, I don't like the way he makes it sound. I'm not sure if it is just his tuning, or the kit itself.
    For what it costs though, you can't really do wrong

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i hope this helps somehow, good luck on your search friend. im sure whatever you choose will turn out very great, and it's good your curious!
    Thanks for the advice Russ
    And everyone else who's posted on here, I knew I'd be able to count on this site's users to help out.

I've been taking a good old look into the Catalina Club's, and I really like the sound of them. I've noticed on a couple that I've heard the toms sound a little dead, but I think that's just down to poor tuning. I also love the sound of the snare (6.5"x14"). With a new set of heads on there I reckon the kit'll sound awesome...
    I played one with my band this time last year, the same spec as the one I'm ordering, and I loved it, so I'm really looking forward to getting hold of it now!

Should hopefully be able to afford it within the next 2/3 months (fingers crossed)

Anyway, thanks again for the advice

User Info Menu

Well.. im kinda new to this but i've played with a variety of drumset's...ok

I've played on PDP's they're are awesome great fill on every drum and the hardware is good. The sound it gives is really good
    I'm actually playing 2 drumset's at the time, one at my school other at home. The one at school are some premium drums which are good but are rusty as f**k.
    I also played once with some Rogers i didnt like them at all but there were not tuned.
    I have a pulse 5-piece drumset which is a beginner drumset but with some new heads it will be good
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

The Chad Smith Signiture kit could be nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    The Chad Smith Signiture kit could be nice.
    Not a bad shout!

It looks sweet! Comes with a nice Bass drum graphic. I have seen this kit in person and it looks really sweet!

Alex
    Last edited by AlexGoodwin; 10-04-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

maybe you can tell us what the wood is made out of, i havent seen anything about it anywhere
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If I lived in England I would be looking a Premier drums. I have a 7 pc. Premier Signia set that I bought in the mid 90's and there is nothing out there I would rather play. Premier does make cheap drumsets just like everyone else. The worst kits were when they were owned by Yamaha in the late 80's early 90's. But the company bought itself back and they now make their drums in England. The chrome on the hardware is also some of the best in the world. Premier has a nice selection of drums from their APK to the Premeir Series Elite. I would love to try a set of Elite's if they were sold locally. But I still have my Sapphire Stained Maple SIGNIA set and still love the way they look and sound after 16 or so years.
    I was recently looking on Ebay and there was a 6pc Cherry Stain SIGNIA for about $2,000. You may want to look at used sets. Keith Moon and Mitch Mitchell played Premier drums. Ringo did to until he came to New York on the Beatles first tour. There may be one of those old kits tucked away in some shop over there. Good luck finding something you like.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions guy, you were all really helpful!

In the end I found a Gretsch Catalina Club Rock lying around in my local drum store for £400 (roughly $650).

Found out when I went to look at it that it's the model with the 26" kick drum, which apparently isn't in production any more (score :D)

I've been playing it for about 4 months now, and it's a beaut!
    Sorry the photos are bad quality, they were taken on my phone when I first set her up, but you can see well enough

User Info Menu

Nice find!! Woo, I'm really digging that kit... :P. . But good luck finding a new bass drum head when they get a rip! **Or good luck affording it** lol just kidding!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

26" kick?!? Can you say "Tommy Lee"?!? Hahah congrats on the new kit, looks nice.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El-kevo the drumtech View Post
    premier is still based in england and those drums never get old...they started selling ****ty quality in the us but english versions are top notch...

should be relatively cheap with no taxes, imports, or tarriffs
    Premier have stopped producing now but there may be a few kits left on sale and stacks of second hand ones around - a great starter kit.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    26" kick?!? Can you say "Tommy Lee"?!? Hahah congrats on the new kit, looks nice.
    Tommy Lee's kick is more like 40"....
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    tommy lee's kick is more like 40"....
    +1
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave