Thread: What would you do?

User Info Menu

Default What would you do?

Hi, I'm looking for new shells to replace my exports that are getting kinda beat up. Long story short I found a used set of Catalina BIRCH shells with heads. 18x22" Bass Drum
    8x10" and 9x12" Toms
    14x14" Floor Tom
    (and also the double tom mount and floor tom legs)
    Color: Dark Walnut
    $350 (sounds high to me)

And now I found another set with some stuff I wont need but can resell
    Despcription is kinda vague (younger kid) But its the onyx white pdp and he says they are maple, ive seen a few and im 99% they are. Full 5 piece with some paistes,throne and a mute set
    Price-$375

I play metal, hxc, pop stuff so what would you do? I know the pdp are a better buy but you cant get the birch catalina anymore and wondering if the sound would be worth it. Thanks in advanced-Tim
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

Default Re: What would you do?

Or should I post this in a different section?

User Info Menu

Give people some time to read your post. You'll get a lot of advice.

Seems like the Catalina Birch would be a nice set. Why do you feel it's a high price? I don't know the market value of Catalina Birch's, but $350 for a quality used brand name kit seems reasonable to me.

There's a huge fan base for Catalina Maple's here on DC, and it seems with good reason. So in that sense I don't think there's risk in getting the Cat's if you think they will have the right sound.

I don't know a lot about PDP, but I'm assuming you feel it's a better buy because it's maple and comes with cymbals. Without knowing the model of PDP, it could be that the Cat's are the better deal. Either way, seems like you are getting a decent kit for not a ton of money.

Good luck.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I emaild the guy and its the cx model. Ive seen just the cx shells going for $500+ which is why I think the pdp might be better. Whats the main defference between maple and birch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
    I emaild the guy and its the cx model. Ive seen just the cx shells going for $500+ which is why I think the pdp might be better. Whats the main defference between maple and birch?
    Sorry im and idiot, but what is a stance? Thanks!
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    ?
    Hey fellers I think I know this...

When you've wondered into the wrong field and hear a snort, look up and see a bull, he turns and faces you drops his head, eyeballs you, snorts again and scrapes his hoof. He's taking *stance! At this point you better hope you have more then a hair helmet on...

Ebonics it would mean something about standing or a stand.

I stance there for a long time.

Where is the stance for these lights?
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Anway back on topic, im looking at picking up one of these kits this weekend and am still confused on what I should do

User Info Menu

Personally, I would go with the Catalinas...@ $350 that's a good deal...assuming that its in good condition. Here is a page with some info on drum woods : http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id14.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Personally, I would go with the Catalinas...@ $350 that's a good deal...assuming that its in good condition. Here is a page with some info on drum woods : http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id14.html
    Really? Im still torn between maple and birch haha. Birch seems to have more attack and highs and the maple is lower and softer..............dicisions decisions

User Info Menu

Really? Im still torn between maple and birch haha. Birch seems to have more attack and highs and the maple is lower and softer..............dicisions decisions
    2 sets 2 sounds what more could you ask for?

It's not like the motors going to blow up and you can't resell, right?

Heads and tuning can make differences...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Nom ,theyre both wood and will have a warm tone and theyre both pretty descent sets .Are they close enough that you can go and listen to how they sound and that can help you make your decision much easier .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

theres a lotta kits out there you can snag for 500, birch and maple are the most popular choices most the time cant go wrong with either
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    theres a lotta kits out there you can snag for 500, birch and maple are the most popular choices most the time cant go wrong with either
    Thats the problem haha. I can get just the birch shells (4 piece-No Snare) for $350 Or I can get a full maple kit with snare and cymbals, and even throne and pedal for $375 hahaha

User Info Menu

The full set for $375 is a fantastic deal. It's awesome to have two sets, especially if you end up teaching kids in your house. And as far as I'm concerned, there's not much difference between any of the "low-end" kits -- Exports, PDPs, Catalinas. When you can afford a $5,000 kit, then you can really weigh some pros and cons. Cleaning up your Exports with new wrap would be a cheaper alternative. Those drums have nice punch.

User Info Menu

i would go with the cat birch'es because they are great
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

I don't how much I can help but I can tell you what I've learned from my experience.

I've owned a few sets, all med to hi end kits. I've had Ludwig,Rogers,Pearl,Tama and Pacific. The PDP's are the CX's. I'm more pleased with the PDP's than any other set that I've owned.

As far as shell construction, the sound between birch and maple, there will be a bigger difference between head selection and tuning.

I think the PDP's are a better deal considering what all that you are getting (snare,cymbals etc). Good luck. You will not go wrong with either set. John

User Info Menu

i have a white onyx PDP, it an alright set
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts