Thread: Meinl Headliner Stained White Ash Cajon

User Info Menu

Default Meinl Headliner Stained White Ash Cajon

I am in the market to buy a cajon and was interested in this one. I've listened to sound files and watched videos of all of Meinls entry level cajones and this is the only one that sounded decent to me. I'm wondering if anyone has ever played it and what their opinion of it was. I played the rubber wood Headliner in Guitar Center and I was not at all impressed with it. But I compared videos of this one side by side with the rubber wood version and there's a definite sound difference. The White Ash seems to have a much more distinguished slap sound which is very important to me. Here is a video of it being played [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0n5R3Ic9eE"]YouTube - Meinl Headliner Cajon Jam with Jimmy Lopez & X8 Drums[/ame]. Here is the link to the rubber wood version so you can hear the difference between the two [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSHILN9TZs"]YouTube - Meinl Headliner Cajon Funk Variation by Jimmy Lopez and X8 Drums[/ame] Also if anyone has a better recommendation for a cajon under $130 please let me know. Thanks a lot.

P.S.
    Schalloch's cajon is on sale at Musician's Friend for $79.99 does anyone have an opinion it. I have never heard it before and I'd appreciate some information on this as well. Thanks again and I hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Meinl Headliner Stained White Ash Cajon

I heard Fat Congas cajon ..live at Downtown Disney last night. The best I have ever heard. I asked him about it and he said it was one of their first ones out, but they are basically still the same. It was a string cajon and he had it miced and eq'ed.

User Info Menu

I've heard great things about Fat Congas cajones, but I just can't convince myself to spend close to $300 for a wooden box. Especially since this isn't going to be my main instrument and I'm just starting out. It's pretty much just going to be for jamming with my band when a drumset isn't available and for my personal enjoyment, so I don't really need top of the line. I would definitely go for a Fat Congas cajon if it were about $100 cheaper though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by conguera View Post
    I've heard great things about Fat Congas cajones, but I just can't convince myself to spend close to $300 for a wooden box. Especially since this isn't going to be my main instrument and I'm just starting out. It's pretty much just going to be for jamming with my band when a drumset isn't available and for my personal enjoyment, so I don't really need top of the line. I would definitely go for a Fat Congas cajon if it were about $100 cheaper though.
    I hear you.. me too. The Meinl Bass pedal cajon is the other one I was looking at. The Bass sounds really good. Not sure about the "snare" though. No cajon sounds good to me unless its micd' though..so they are kind of hard to test out. I may just make one. Like you said.. its just a wood box, can't be that hard. The Fat conga bas and snare were unbelievable .. too much $$ though.

User Info Menu

I don't don't a lot about them but I would like to. A cajon might be one of my next purchases. Just seems like the perfect instrument for an acoustic gig!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the music stores near me only have two cajons in stock the Meinl Headliner Rubberwood cajon and the Meinl Makah Burl String Cajon. Both of which were okay, but no the sound I'm looking for. I really don't want to buy a drum without being able to hear it first, but it seems like with cajons you don't have much of a choice. I'm thinking of just picking up the schalloch cajon. At least it's cheap enough that if I don't like it I won't be out much money sending it back. If anyone has played schalloch's cajon please let me know what you thought about it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by conguera; 09-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the music stores near me only have two cajons in stock the Meinl Headliner Rubberwood cajon and the Meinl Makah Burl String Cajon. Both of which were okay, but no the sound I'm looking for. I really don't want to buy a drum without being able to hear it first, but it seems like with cajons you don't have much of a choice. I'm thinking of just picking up the schalloch cajon. At least it's cheap enough that if I don't like it I won't be out much money sending it back. If anyone has played schalloch's cajon please let me know what you thought about it. Thanks again.
    That's a good idea ..go inexpensice.. them maybe you could modify it to make it sound better.... thats what I am going to do Please let us know how it works out for you.

User Info Menu

I was just about ready to buy the schalloch cajon, but I checked ebay and they had a great deal on the LP cajon. I've actually gotten to hear the LP cajon and I like the sound it puts out. I got it for $85.06 and it's normal price is $169.99, so I know I made a good choice. Thanks again.
    Last edited by conguera; 09-22-2009 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

So I received my cajon on Monday and after playing it for a few days I can say that I'm completely happy with it. I would definitely recommend it. It has awesome bass and nice crisp slaps. I've only played three cajones in person, but it is by far the best out of the ones I've tried. The adjustable feet really come in handy as well. I have no complaints. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

User Info Menu

So I received my cajon on Monday and after playing it for a few days I can say that I'm completely happy with it. I would definitely recommend it. It has awesome bass and nice crisp slaps. I've only played three cajones in person, but it is by far the best out of the ones I've tried. The adjustable feet really come in handy as well. I have no complaints. Thanks everyone for your opinions.
    Cool. Thanks for the review