Thread: Which one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Which one?

Hey guys, I have come for your help once again! I didn't really know where to post this, but here goes...my first lesson back at college (on a full-time Music Performance course), is - you guessed it - a performance. I haven't had much time to prepare, but basically it has to be a solo performance on our chosen instrument - mine obviously being drums. Now given circumstances and various other things, I have narrowed my choices own to playing along with one of two songs. My choices are as follows:

Bad - Michael Jackson

Using the drums on the track as a steady bass, my idea was to play some more decrative tom work over the verses, and really come in for the choruses, etc.

Black or White - Michael Jackson

My idea here would be to bring the drum track to life a bit more - make it stand out by adding a lot more technical pieces, more decorative feels, etc on the hi hat, and really getting my groove on with the song.

I chose Michael Jackson, as my view is that the vocals in his songs are what stand out the most, not neccessarily the band (to most people), so I thought I'd give it a go and bring the drums at the back (yet the heart), right out to the front...please help me decide!!

Thanks guys!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which one?

Why not play Billie Jean?

I pick the first one, just because I know that song lol. Do you actually have to perform in front of the other students or just a few people who audition you? When I started music school I just had to play in front of the drum tutor, and I played a Dave Weckl drum-along track, lol (which I went out of time with because I couldn't hear it when I was drumming to it haha). Most chances are they aren't looking for technical ability but instead they're looking for your feel for the instrument.

Remember, it's always harder playing in front of other musicians because they're nitpicking every little thing you do. So play it safe, play it simple with feeling, instead of technical with little mistakes and looking stressed. Your audience will be more impressed if you play it simple, solid and with feeling.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

BAD

For 2 reasons...First, I hear that song and can't help but think of Wierd Al's FAT! It makes me happy.

Second, the video for black and white really freaks me out! Don't ask why.

But yes, Billie Jean if you can make that happen!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

alien ant farm covered criminal and it came out good. im sure it will work out great for you too
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well, I'm performing it infront of the whole class and a couple of tutors...i always feel more nervous playing infront of smaller groups than i do larger ones lol...especially when they are trained musicians Well, I actually chose Black or White, I suddenly had some pretty good ideas shoot into my head when I was listening to it, and I've been playing it aaaaaaaaaallll day, and still haven;t got sick of it...so that it is. Hopefully it will all go well!
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Good luck bro!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I say go for "BAD" because you're saying, "Yeah, I'm bad-a$$ on the drums !"
    Nervous is ok, but go in there prepared, confident, and ready to show them something very cool !

User Info Menu

Good luck with it man!! I know you will knock it outta the park!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!