Thread: need advice- hi hats

User Info Menu

Default need advice- hi hats

Okay I am new to drumming and I need to know if the hi- hats are supposed to come together parrallel with each other or slighty at an angle. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I don't understand what you mean man.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

i can't remember what its called but i think your talking about that little screw that pushes the bottom hi hat up....its located underneath it....am i right...

generally people tell me to screw it about 1/4 the way up but i prefer to keep it all the way down to get a tight, no unwanted sizzle kind of thing.

just like tuning your skins its there for you to experiment with and find what is right for you...! so go and experiment....just don't break it

User Info Menu

yea if that is what your talking about i prefer the hates to almost be touching.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Yeah, mex is right. There's usually a little screw on the bottom of your hats that tilts the bottom hat. It's all about experimentation, just mess around until you find something that works for you.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Got it. I guess I am thinking the drums are a cut and dry set-up. More of tuning to taste it seems. My old hi hat stand was a mis match duct tape situation that was crooked. My hats were always at angle no matter if you adjusted the tilter to extremes. I purchased a new hi hat stand last night on my into work and noticed the hats now sat even, or parallel to one another. Just had to ask which was to be correct. Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

No problems j. Glad to help.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I like to keep that screw on mine, a little turned up - not quite 1/4 of the way. But it's all personal preference.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Most drummers will use just a bit of an angle so you don't get air lock. This is when they will go together but you will not hear a chick sound when you are playing with your left foot.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

Thanks again. I watched a Tim Alexander (Primus, Laundry) drum concert this weekend on DVD. The pros make it look easy.
    Last edited by jmartinz32; 02-18-2007 at 09:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums drums drums
    Most drummers will use just a bit of an angle so you don't get air lock. This is when they will go together but you will not hear a chick sound when you are playing with your left foot.
    I love that chick sound ... I have to have that chick sound.

User Info Menu

See... there is a place for chicks in drumming!

User Info Menu

If I stepped on my girlfriend with my left foot and told her it was because I was after that 'chick' sound, I reckon I'd end up with a couple of drumsticks lodged in an uncomfortable place.

User Info Menu

i like mine just barely together. but i keep it shut with my foot when i'm playing.
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

I try to keep my hat parrellel, but when I'm jamming to Free Bird, or some random Metallica song I usually have my foot on my hat pedal keeping just a little pressure so that the hats touch and a get a loud chsh sound.

And when i need it to be quiet, I just apply more pressure to the pedal and close the hit hats together and get that nice chick sound.

Course most of you already know that... now I feel stupid.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.