Thread: Classic Rock Cover band help?

User Info Menu

Default Classic Rock Cover band help?

Hey y'all,
    So I know how to get through the songs and do all the fills but the phrasing still gets me before audition time. I guess, in general, when you guys/girls are covering songs, what are some tips you would give on memorizing song structure ABAB while being able to remember the intros/breaks at the same time.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Classic Rock Cover band help?

wen u arnt praticing with ur band just put ur ipod on, and play along, and repaet, this is how i learn to play songs on drums, so yeah, pretty much the only way is lots of pratice
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

You just need to really adsorb the material. If it's something that you don't normally listen to, I would suggest that you listen as much as you can. Make a cd and only listen to the songs you intend to play while driving...or working...or any down time. The better you can run through the songs in your head, the better you will remember when it comes time to play.

User Info Menu

This is a tough one because everyone has their own way of dealing with this. I agree with the others, you have to keep listening to them so that they are in your head. If you are dealing with a lot of songs to learn within a few days, I would suggest making brief notes for each song in a notebook. In the past, I've included simple bar charts of the songs which shows how many bars each section has. For example:
    |--intro(4)--|--verse(16)--|--chorus(8)--|...etc..
    You may not be able to keep track of the number of bars while you're playing, but it would at least give you an idea of 1) the basic structure of the song, 2) the length of each section. For specific fills that you just have to play exactly like the recording (eg., Intro for Rock n' Rock by Led Zep), you may want to jot down some drum notations to remind you on how it goes. Good luck, Man !
    Last edited by nio; 09-20-2009 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Ya, once when I had to learn about 30 tunes that I really didn't know (old rock and roll stuff) I wrote out very simple charts like nio said and I put them on small index cards on a music stand above the hihat. I also taped our band practices and gigs for that first few weeks because the band didn't play the cover tunes exactly like the records and I didn't have the cash to buy all the originals anyway. Then, in addition to listening to the tapes, you can also carry around the index cards and memorize the charts. It's a very academic approach, like cramming for an exam. But if you're in a hurry to memorize alot of new stuff, it's one technique that works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I would suggest making brief notes for each song in a notebook. In the past, I've included simple bar charts of the songs which shows how many bars each section has. For example:
    |--intro(4)--|--verse(16)--|--chorus(8)--|...etc.. !
    Very good advice.
    I actually use Lyric sheets to write notes on...Breaks...Coda...Bridge...Solo's.

But it's a little time consuming. I have to have everything phrased properly
    as it's supposed to be sung. Most of the lyrics you find on-line are just
    typed up willy nilly...so it takes me a few minutes per song to staighten
    em' out.