Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Praise and Worship

User Info Menu

Smile Praise and Worship

Well, I finally landed a steady drum gig. It is for a Praise band. I had an audition last Wednesday, and gigged the following Sunday. Here is how the audition went.
    I arrived on time and found the place with ease. Keep in mind that I had NO idea of what to expect. I have never heard ANY of the songs. I was able to use the house drum kit. It is a Ludwig 5pc. Not in great shape, at all. The heads were Evans EC. I am not too familiar with Evans heads to know any more about them, but they did play really well! The hi hat stand was a Pearl, similar to my old one. Here is the sketchy part..... The cymbals!! The Hi hats were ZHT's. I really did not care for them at all. The crash and ride were also ZHT's, but given the facts that there was no plastic sleeves and the cymbals were badly keyholed, I guess you may know how they sounded. I was almost hating to hit them. The snare stand by Ludwig was weird. I am not too familiar with Ludwig products, but the stand wouldn't tighten to hold the snare.
    Now, on to the audition. I met the members. Very nice people. Age ranged from mid 20's to mid 40's. That works for me! The leader gave me the lyrics sheets for the 4 songs we were going to work on. I was taught the songs as he played them. I just asked for any variances. He basically told me to play what sounded good to me. After hearing how the song started, I proceeded to play what felt good. Apparently, I did really well. they were very impressed! It made me feel really good. I am thinking, "hmm... are you sure??" So we went through the material. At break, I asked what could be done to improve. I asked if the dynamics were ok. The band said that it sounded really good, and my performance was better than they expected. We went back to review the songs again. I asked to pick one song and play a couple different varieties of it, and asked them which they liked the best. I think they were thrilled by that. I played with the beats a little and got their input. That kind of made it easy for me, too.

The GIG!!! I showed up on time for a dress rehearsal. Different drum kit. Yamaha 5pc with ZBT cymbals. The 13"ZBT hats were not that great. Same kind of snare stand. The bass pedal was some weird off name brand that felt like it belonged to a toy drum kit. That was my biggest problem. I did manage to break it towards the end of the gig. The tightening screw was stripped. It did come away from the drum and I was trying to move it back into place and play through the set......... gig nightmare!!! I did not let it break my spirit. The gig went well, and people did compliment me. If they only knew it was my first gig in front of a "live" audience!

I was happy besides the inconveniences. I just know that the next gig, I will be bringing some parts from home.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Praise and Worship

WTG BLD!! Getting that first live performance under the belt is the toughest, as you well know from your work on the bass. Sounds like with all the idiosyncrasies you dealt with on your first gig, it can only get better. Congrats!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB!!!! I believe that making mistakes is a GREAT way to learn how to perform. Like on bass, getting out of a situation and making it look good is essential!

User Info Menu

Awesome, congrats on the gig. At band practice I play a really low end osp 5 pcs, It is owend by the guy who's house we jamm at. And it feels like a toy too So I always bring my pedal and a few cymbals. Keep us posted. F/T

User Info Menu

Good for you BLD!

Keep it up brother..It's only gonna get better!

-Les

User Info Menu

That's great Paul, it will only get better!

Congrats!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Sweet keep us posted !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

congratz BLD, great job minus the little mistakes :D

User Info Menu

wow gratz and good job on the the gig.....yeah if i were you i'd bring some parts of my own

but good job holding up during the gig!!

User Info Menu

Bass, this is pretty exciting stuff ! I think you've got the drum bug, brotha. Rock On !!

User Info Menu

Awesome Paul ! I love praise and worship music. Glad you found some folks. Hopefully we will get some video real soon.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Most of the Praise and Worship stuff falls into the Pop/Rock category, so you shouldn't have any difficulty. Take some plastic tubes for the Cymbal stands and bring your own cymbals you'll be happier. Good luck with the gig, and have fun with it.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

What a great story BLD!! You're playing by feel bro, and that's fantastic!! Thanks for sharing that with us.

FYI - I'm a church drummer as well as playing in a Christian rock band, and I have filled in for drummers at several churches. Suffice it to say that many churches own kits that were donated, and they've seen better days. I think I've found all the old Ludwig kits that nobody took care of! I've encountered bass pedals that just don't work, hi hat stands that won't open, cracked cymbals, and cymbal stands that collapse when you hit them.....not to mention some drums that really needed to be rebuilt or destroyed a long time ago. But I learned a long time ago to ALWAYS bring my own kit! I don't care what they tell me they have, I bring my own, and I don't have to contend with the nightmare of playing on substandard gear.

Sounds like you've landed in a good place bro! Keep us updated!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Praise and Worship

Great to hear, BLD! Sounds like you handled everything beautifullly--and you turned it into a real learning experience, too!

Keep up the good work, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BLD........Congrats on the rehearsal and first gig .Also good to see Mrs BLD lets you log in on occasion .

Norske offers up some real good advise .........at a minimum you might want to take your snare and cymbals next time youre told theres a set available .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Congrats, dude. I'm jealous.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Thanks Everyone!!!! I had practice last night. 3 more never before heard songs. I did pretty good. I just need to get more familiar with them, and I received 3 cds of the songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Thanks Everyone!!!! I had practice last night. 3 more never before heard songs. I did pretty good. I just need to get more familiar with them, and I received 3 cds of the songs.
    Cool beans........looks like you wont be needing that bass guitar any more .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Cool beans........looks like you wont be needing that bass guitar any more .
    hmmm... Don't know about that. I am working a project with a couple Berklee School of Music grads!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Praise and Worship

So are ya changin' your handle from BLD (bassist learning drums) to BTD (bassist teachin' drums? (No wait, that would be BTB&LD--that's bassist TEACHIN' BASS AND LEARNIN' DRUMS?)

Naaahhh...that abbreviation sounds like some kind of railroad conglomeration!

Congrats, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

hey BLD, auditioning on a strangers set is tough for anyone..and with the added tough condition of the set as you described even tougher. but you were smart NOT to bring your own set to audition..as many have reported in the past, there are some criminal elements out there waiting to prey on a people to steal equipment..but sounds like you were a hit. enjoy the music..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    So are ya changin' your handle from BLD (bassist learning drums) to BTD (bassist teachin' drums? (No wait, that would be BTB&LD--that's bassist TEACHIN' BASS AND LEARNIN' DRUMS?)

Naaahhh...that abbreviation sounds like some kind of railroad conglomeration!

Congrats, man!
    Love Ya BB!!!!! I am bassist learning drums, taking online classes, working at The Home Depot and Getting Married!!! BLDTOCWATHDGM If you say it aloud, it will resemble a sneeze!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    hey BLD, auditioning on a strangers set is tough for anyone..and with the added tough condition of the set as you described even tougher. but you were smart NOT to bring your own set to audition..as many have reported in the past, there are some criminal elements out there waiting to prey on a people to steal equipment..but sounds like you were a hit. enjoy the music..

Thanks Marty, and Welcome to Drum Chat!!!!!! I guess I can enjoy music on any instrument, as long as it is fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    hmmm... Don't know about that. I am working a project with a couple Berklee School of Music grads!!!!
    WTG ........moving 2000 miles was a positive experience , musically..

.....and Mrs BLD too

Glad to hear things are going good .
    slot # 1

BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

User Info Menu

I forgot to congratulate you BLD. May all your worship be worthy of praise! - Good luck on the gig!

Larrysperf Guest

thats great story and thanks for sharing. You deserve it as I think you have been working very hard