Thread: Stick Grip Techniques

User Info Menu

Default Stick Grip Techniques

Pardon this Thread from a new guy (but old drummer) if it has been exhausted already, but here goes.

I have always played "traditional" style and find it easier to maintain speed, flams and snare control. I was trained by Charles Perry and he was very strict about how to hold the sticks.

It seems almost all younger drummers now play "matched" style.

Looking for feedback on this one.

Kansmacker

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick Grip Techniques

Whatever you feel comfy with is the best grip.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

I agree with N.Redneck. Whatever works best for you is what you need to do. I play matched grip but i have tried traditional and i just can't seem to get it. I practiced it for a while and finally just gave up and stayed with matched.

User Info Menu

A lot of older teachers were very opinionated about "their" type of grip. I believe it is much more common nowadays for teachers to give students the option.

Welcome to Drum Chat Kan!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Kan!

Traditional grip came about to accomodate the tilted position of the marching drum. On a set, the matched grip is equally effective, so it really is a matter taste.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When I started, I played in junior high concert band. We were taught the matched grip...I guess it was more versatile as we moved from snare to mallets (marimba/timpany). So, this is the grip that I kept as I moved into the trap set. Also, since I grew up in the 70s and 80s, Rock was my major influence, so there you go...matched grip.

However, as most right-handed drummers, my left is not as flexible (or coordinated) as my right. So, I often wonder how I would have done if I had learned to play with traditional grip. Would my left hand been able to compensate better? Hmmm...

User Info Menu

I have been playing around with traditional and has been coming along nicely. I also find that when switching back to matched, my left hand feels very comfortable.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I was taught to play traditional ( over 30 years ago ) and find myself playing matched more and more .

My son is in the Jr HS band and his teacher ( a few years ago ) told him to play matched . When I questioned why matched it was explained to me that it is easier for the kids to learn.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

The next question would be what kind of matched grip do you all prefer. German, American or French?
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    The next question would be what kind of matched grip do you all prefer. German, American or French?
    German.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Maybe I'm weird, but I use a mix of all three. Hitting the snare I'm usually in German grip with that hand while the hi-hat hand tends to want to be in American grip. When I cross over to hit my ride, my hand goes French grip. The only time I find myself truly having a matched grip is when I'm playing both hands on snare (German) or travelling around the kit with both hands (American).

I suck at traditional.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Maybe I'm weird, but I use a mix of all three. Hitting the snare I'm usually in German grip with that hand while the hi-hat hand tends to want to be in American grip. When I cross over to hit my ride, my hand goes French grip. The only time I find myself truly having a matched grip is when I'm playing both hands on snare (German) or travelling around the kit with both hands (American).

I suck at traditional.
    I don't think you need to get caught up and worried so much about the names of these individual techniques and you may be looking into it to much. If it is comfortable for you and you are progressing in your playing and fulfilling your own musical desires then I think you are fine with whatever method you use to achieve that. Just like bass drum playing, everyone uses different techniques and probably mixes them up too but as long as you are getting the job done.

User Info Menu

Yeah theres definately a transition between all 3 matched grips depending on what your playing, I have more speed with french grip but less control than I do with german or american grip. I'm trying to get speed and control with the german grip and its tough because double strokes with the german grip are less of a tap bounce and more of a tap tap or tap squeeze, if that makes sense.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I use matched. Why? Because it's comfortable.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

there is only one grip .. its the one all drummer should use(except for one that I know of) there is one stick .. it goes in your right hand .. there is another stick .. it goes in your left...

realy traditional seems to be for snare work with a marching style. matched from what I see and now I guess practice works a little better for most people on a trap-kit(see im still using it)
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

I could never get a good cymbal hit or hi-hat hits with traditional grip. I used to play that way but now its matched grip for me. Go with what is comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong answers.

User Info Menu

My left hand feels most natural using traditional grip when playing on a practice pad or doing rudiments but I can't move it around a kit very well. I mostly use matched grip on a drum set. My matched grip tends to be very French biased. What is American grip? I've never heard of that before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    What is American grip? I've never heard of that before.
    American grip is halfway between French and German. So with German grip your palms are facing downward, with French grip your palms are facing inward, and with American your palms are kind of angled in between the two.

User Info Menu

I play matched this way. Pretend you are shaking someones hand, now close the hand and put a drum stick in there. The thumb is pretty much facing straight up towards you. Would that be considered American, or french? I always thought of that as French.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    I play matched this way. Pretend you are shaking someones hand, now close the hand and put a drum stick in there. The thumb is pretty much facing straight up towards you. Would that be considered American, or french? I always thought of that as French.
    That would be considered a French grip. American grip would have the thumb slightly angled toward you, but not all the way to the side (that'd be German).

Now, one thing about French grip is that to use it properly you're really supposed to play with mostly your fingers and not so much your wrists. So basically your thumb and index finger keep a loose grip on the stick while the other fingers push the butt of the stick, creating a see-saw motion and bringing down the tip of the stick. Then the rebound of the drum head pushes the stick back up. Does that make sense?

If you're using French grip but holding the stick stiff and making all the motion with your wrists then you may be putting yourself at serious risk for tendonitis further down the road.

User Info Menu

I use the three different finger techniques for french. I play way out on the outer edge of my index fingers when playing light, fast jazz. Then there is the middle finger technique for normal playing. Your index finger shouldn't even be touching the stick. Then there is the back finger technique for heavy playing. You just use your two back fingers and get a ton of power without using any more force then you would playing lightly. I also use drop strokes for power, speed, and feel. My drum teacher when I was younger was a huge technique jazz drummer. I thought it was kinda of taxing at the time but I use it all the time in my playing and works very well.

User Info Menu

if i try to do traditional i wont be able to move my left hand much like if i use matched, although left hand can do faster rolls independently of the right hand
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments