Thread: Check out this recorder, what do you think?

User Info Menu

Default Check out this recorder, what do you think?

I was talking over the weekend with a friend of mine (also a drummer) about getting a mic setup for my kit, basically so I can record myself, listen and hear my mistakes. He was highly recommending this handheld recorder called a Zoom H2, for what I am wanting to do as of now. It has 4 stereo mics and can record in 360 degree surround sound, or 2 other modes.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these? Of course I have been looking for vids on utube and such to get audio samples, and I can say I am very impressed with the quality of the sound. Honestly I don't think it can be beat for around a 160 dollar price tag. They have a more expensive one called a Zoom H4N, which is about 300 dollars, but instead of stereo mics, it has 2 condenser mics, 2 xlr inputs with phantom power ext.. ect... but I can't find that many audio samples of that one. The only thing I could think would be cool about it would be to use the 2 installed mics, add a kick drum mic, and a snare mic and have a very simple recording setup and added versatility of not having to just recording drums, you could get a whole band practice on this and everyone gets a copy of it and can listen to their own mistakes, I dunno seems like alot of stuff this recorder can do.

A couple quick vids to demonstrate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtqjUHmQDu0"]YouTube - Digital Camera vs. Zoom H2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOD4mu2SezQ"]YouTube - Charlie Benante of Anthrax demos the Zoom H2[/ame]

I can't really find any individual drum pieces with the H4N, I am wondering if it sounds better than the H2, if it is actually worth the extra money. I am really considering getting one of these little things, I still plan on setting up my kit with mics, but even then this will still be nice to have for other situations IMO, let me know what you think!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Check out this recorder, what do you think?

H4's are great.

User Info Menu

wicked little "note pads"
    recording jams is so much better when you can dump it on a PC and chop out all the unwanted bits in a non-linear edit.

User Info Menu

I just ordered an h2 the other day..I've heard nothing but good things about them

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

my schools just got one of these (or one very similar, the same make) for recording our coursework. I thought with it being so small a whole band playing drums bass and guitar would be way too loud and it would come out all fuzzy and crackly, but it wasnt, it was great quality!

User Info Menu

I hope Santa stuffs one of those in my stocking!
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

gotta get one sometime..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    gotta get one sometime..
    I have to admit, after buying it and using it, it's some of the best money I have ever spent. I highly recommend it.

User Info Menu

gotta get one sometime..
    +1
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    I have to admit, after buying it and using it, it's some of the best money I have ever spent. I highly recommend it.
    how do you mount it? does it sit on a table or somethin
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

how do you mount it? does it sit on a table or somethin
    Actually I found a small speaker box about 8 inches tall. I use the little tripod that comes with it, and put it on top of the box, on the floor about 3 ft. in front of the kick drum pointed at the port. I found if it's mounted any higher than that you can't really hear any of the kick drum that well, and it still picks up the rest of the kit pretty well sitting there.

I do plan on micing my kit, but didn't want to buy cheap mic's for now. I bought this thing to hold me over until I can save up enough to get an Audix DP7 kit and a mixer. And like I said before I am still very impressed with this little thing. The audio that comes from it sounds suprisingly well, but for some reason when I upload the videos into youtube it affects the audio as a whole some and doesn't sound as good as it does outside of youtube.

User Info Menu

i guess that would be my next question, how do you get the sound from the recorder to go onto your video source? im using a minolta digital camera which already has somewhat of a mic on it, but would i get the zoom's sound if i used them together, im confused and dont know what im saying anymore
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Here's a nice recorder:

Seriously... those Zoom's are nice. I've been wanting one for awhile.

User Info Menu

i guess that would be my next question, how do you get the sound from the recorder to go onto your video source? im using a minolta digital camera which already has somewhat of a mic on it, but would i get the zoom's sound if i used them together, im confused and dont know what im saying anymore
    I use a crappy digital camera for the video, yes it has a mic on it also. when I upload that file from the camera, like on to windows movie maker, it shows the video frames, and the audio below it. I turn the volume down on the audio from the camera, import the audio from the zoom and sync it together with the video.

The song track on the other hand, actually comes from my PS3. I put rock band or guitar hero on practice mode, so the song don't turn off (I don't actually play the game while doing this, just need the music from it). I have a rca to 16" jack input. My tv output (rca) to the input of the zoom. Turn the song on with the game, record it and presto! Drumless track, which I upload to my computer. Then I upload my drum track that was recorded with the zoom of me playing. Get both of those together on audacity, sync the two and have a master track with the song and drums. That is the track I upload to windows movie maker and sync with the video. I know it sounds kind of confusing, and trust me, the first one I did was a nightmare, but now that I know all the steps to take, the second vid I did was easier, and I suspect the next one to go even smoother.. I knew those games would turn out good for something haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Here's a nice recorder:

Seriously... those Zoom's are nice. I've been wanting one for awhile.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

That thing is pretty cool.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....