Thread: Lp Congas

User Info Menu

Default Lp Congas

Can anybody make out what does it say on the LP label on these and would like to know any comments on these.
    tks
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lp Congas

It say's Garfield New Jersey/ M cohan, Those are Lp classics, nice drums but I can't tell if their a quinto /conga or a conga/ conga. Lp Classics some of Lps best sounding drums.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks my brother. Would love to get these and put traditional crowns.

User Info Menu

In the early 80's LP closed the PP factory and moved most production to Thailand and the offices to Garfield. The label says NJ because that is where the office was. The congas were made in Thailand from rubber tree wood. Now they have to have a sticker that says "Thailand"

User Info Menu

Here's what the seller says what it says on the actual congas:
    LP
    Latin Percussion
    M. Cohen

He also says:
    On the brace at the top of the drum it says Comfort Curve II.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Bad wood + Bad skins + good hardware = Bad drum (with good hardware)

Of course a good player with a bad drum will sound better than a bad player with a good drum. Dandy sounds better on his dashboard or a tabletop than I do on Dandy bongos. Leedy2 will sound better playing tin cans than I will on the best timbales.

The good news is, when it comes to congas & bongos, for just a little bit more you can go first class.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Lp Congas

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    In the early 80's LP closed the PP factory and moved most production to Thailand and the offices to Garfield. The label says NJ because that is where the office was. The congas were made in Thailand from rubber tree wood. Now they have to have a sticker that says "Thailand"
    Definitely by the mid-80s, since both pair of CP congas and my LP bongos have "Made in Thailand" stickers on them. The black fiberglass ones which I bought in 1987 were at least two years old when I bought them (new!), so they may have been among the first congas to come out of Thailand. The base on this set has four square legs and is rectangular, much like a coffee table, rather than the tripod set-up LP uses now.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    PsyAbi
    just some thing on topic good and bad playing are you aware or has any one ever told you that in 1950s when machito recorded the Lp tanga they did not use a set of timbales on that recording. that the cascara you here there is a metal chair and bell was a soda bottle unreal but true
    What a great story!! You should write a book!