Thread: Question for all the Audacity users.

User Info Menu

Default Question for all the Audacity users.

I know alot of you all use audacity, I am wondering if any of you know any way with that program to make the drums in music less noticeable, like with an eq or something, so when I record my drums to lay over the song, the original drummer can't really be heard? Any other downloadable programs do this? Thanks in advance...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question for all the Audacity users.

must have been a trick question
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

This sounds stupidly simple, but... TURN UP THE VOLUME ON YOUR DRUMS.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I love a resurrected dead thread as much as the next guy guy 22 almost 23 months that's awesome.

ok I dont know of any software or anything that will pull the drums out of a track but if you get an eq with enough bands you might be able to isolate which frequencies are mostly drums and turn them down.

also there is getting to be more and more music available with various tracks pulled out.

I could be completely wrong! I am an amphibian and we arent really known for our technological savvy!
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Turn down the song volume, and if necessary turn up the volume on your drum mics. The close mics especially.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm seeing more and more Audacity coming forward in recent threads. Whats the general consensus on the most problem free version ?( meaning, which versions are being used out there that seem to be working O.K. )
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I dunno about you guys, but I personally like the ease of 1.3.2 myself. It seems a lot easier to use despite what some people say about it being a relatively new beta version. Of course, it's not a full on daw like Sonar or Cubase, but the lack of features compared to those programs Audacity makes up for with an easy to use interface.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

just looked yesterday...seems like I have 1.3............but since you mentioned an update since then I will have to doublecheck and see if I have another # after the decimal point. Russ.... What sound card are you using and how do you have the cables connected to it ? Are you using 1/8 " or USB ? How many ports on the back of your computer are you using related directly to Audacity ?

User Info Menu

Since I don't have an actual soundcard of any internal types(pci, pcix1, pcix4, etc), I let my recording interface act as one while also handling the drum mixing and recording aspects. It can connect to a computer via usb 2 or firewire, so it's quite versatile as well as coming with a good number of inputs. Now regarding audacity's versions, the '1.3.2' was at the time the only version I saw available for download so I would say it's fairly old and not a current update like I think you're thinking. You shouldn't have any problems running it, as I have not either.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

yep..looked again yesterday and it's version 1.3...I'm running Windows 98....confirmed. The recording interface you have.....does it include a mixer ?....here's what I have....or at least thinking. Buy the Zoom H4...and hook it to my Radio Shack 4 channel mixer somehow. Then go to the computer from the mixer in the Audacity program. Problem is all my outputs are RCA jacks except for a couple MIDI. I'm guessin all this could be quite complex if you really got into it. Could be just that I am tryin' to be really cool and have all this recording stuff I might not really need to fool with when in actuality all I want to do is record and see what I sound like. Later on I can expand as needed. What mnfg recording interface do you have ?

User Info Menu

I have a phonic 808, universal recording interface. You don't need a h4 with this, cause you can just use your mics connected to the interface to record you. The computer holds the recording software which is what controls the mixing of settings for the mics. Mixers are sometimes analog and sometimes digital, so not always what you want for recording, but they are good for live sound purposes. Mine has spots for xlr, 1/4", midi, and more:
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

very nice....and stylish ! great pics. Have you had it long ? Any features lacking you wish it had. Is it an 8 channel and all channels are stereo ( or is that what the software accomplishes ) Thanks for hangin with me on this Russ.

User Info Menu

this seemed like a good thread to continue some more questions I have....here goes. Would a realistic 100 watt PA amp have any place in the recording chain of equipment ? It has 4 mic inputs, one phono, and one aux. All three types of jacks ( XLR,1/4 and RCA ) Next question...If a mixer has an amp built in, does that mean I cannot hook up another amp to it ? Might as well ask this, too.....Can you tell just by looking if the mixer is digital or analog ?....And this, while we're at it......If the monitors have their own power, does this mean adding another amp will do some damage ?
    If all this sounds way out of whack, I understand. It may appear obvious I have a lot to learn and that's why I am here. ( But don't want to be a pain )
    It's not like I want to be a studio engineer. Actually, I don't know what I want ! Just been doing a lot of reading and trying to understand. At first I just thought hearing what I sound like would be enough. Then as I learned more ( apparently very little ) I developed an interest in gathering equipment I thought I could use sometime because the price was right...and I thought it would be cool to tweak the music. Of course, there is my own ego about the " cool setup " in the music room !! Lastly, I wanted to be accommodating to other musicians and their instruments.

User Info Menu

I have downloaded this Audacity and frankly I have no clue how it works. So complicated to me and maybe it is because I have never recorded before and don't know the language used in this program. I am sure it is great for someone with some knowledge of the recording etc. Not me.

User Info Menu

I have downloaded this Audacity and frankly I have no clue how it works. So complicated to me and maybe it is because I have never recorded before and don't know the language used in this program. I am sure it is great for someone with some knowledge of the recording etc. Not me.
    I feel you on that, at first glance it honestly didn't make sense to me either. Fortunately, since Audacity is so popular and in use - it has plenty of support and FAQ's are available for it. Start out small though, learn one part of it at a time and keep messing around and before long you'll start to understand more and more about how it works. It's actually less complicated than i've seen in DAW's like Cubase, thankfully.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Let me Google that for you

User Info Menu

nobody's been here since sept 2011. That's why I picked this thread to ask questions. I may have taken the easy way out by taking an older thread but did'nt want to just barge in a current one. Question : If after searching, is it best to just start a new thread ?