Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Faces when Playing Drums

User Info Menu

Default Making Faces when Playing Drums

This guy sat in on my kit the other day. He made the stupidest face while he played that I've ever seen in my life. His jaw hung way down, his tongue out, spastic jerks, ...you name it. I really felt for him. The whole band was laughing. The funniest thing was, when he got off stage he looked like the most normal person you'd ever seen.

Here's the best part: I went up to him on the break to talk a bit. He's an entertainment lawyer!

User Info Menu

crazy cats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    This guy sat in on my kit the other day. He made the stupidest face while he played that I've ever seen in my life. His jaw hung way down, his tongue out, spastic jerks, ...you name it. I really felt for him. The whole band was laughing. The funniest thing was, when he got off stage he looked like the most normal person you'd ever seen.

Here's the best part: I went up to him on the break to talk a bit. He's an entertainment lawyer!
    Now that there was some funny stuff. I read this and almost fell out if the chair. You sure he wasn't having a panic attack? LOL

A Lawyer? Easy to change their personality, huh?
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I make faces when I play. Back in high school, I got the nickname "vicious", because I was told that I looked like I was going to kill someone. Half of the people signed my yearbook, "vicious". ha-ha
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

i dont know if i do or not but thats funny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    I make faces when I play. Back in high school, I got the nickname "vicious", because I was told that I looked like I was going to kill someone. Half of the people signed my yearbook, "vicious". ha-ha

Now we know who you are..... Sid Vicious is still around!!!!!!! LOL!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

ppl tel me that i move my mouth funny when i play.....my dad does the same thing....i thnk most musicians do a little something

User Info Menu

me too. muy wife says i move my mouth around weird or something. i guess i should look in a mirror when i play.
    max

User Info Menu

Back in the day--the days when I was young and crazy and in college, that is--a buddy of mine brought his videocamera to record me with another friend of ours playing some songs together. When we watched the tape afterward, for some 10 minutes the image zoomed from my face to the ceiling, my face to the ceiling....over and over and over again. Why? 'Cos the whole time I was playing, I was just staring blankly up toward the sky! I had no clue that I was doing this until I saw the tape! Thank goodness, 'cos now I just sit there with a dumb-*** look staring STRAIGHT AHEAD instead of UP TOWARD THE CEILING! Will it ever end?!... I just get into this zone, and I basically space out as I'm listening to the music around me and I'm mentally preparing for the different breaks/rhythm changes/chorus lead-ins, whatever! But hey, at least my tongue doesn't hang out as I spastically move about! Well, I don't think I do all that... Hey, anybody got a videocamera to come film me and let me be sure?...

User Info Menu

The guys in my band constantly harass me for closing my eyes. They think I'm spacing out, but I'm really just feelin' the groove.

User Info Menu

i think everyone makes some kind of face, its just like how everyone has their own style, its unavoidable...i usually go through a variety of faces, depends on what type of beat im playing

User Info Menu

I'm told that I have some very amusing expressions myself. I've never been big on doing drum solos and I don't twirl my sticks though I which that I had taken the time to learn. People kid me about the faces that I make and my reply is that I like to make it look harder than I really is for me. Like pitching a baseball and throwing the ball harder than it can naturally travel to the catcher. All show no velocity. People enjoy being entertained and given a show. That's what they pay for. I would rather watch a band that moves around on stage and a drummer that appears that he is really into putting his heart and soul into his music and performance any day. Then a bunch of guys to high on what ever afraid that they might fall down. Years ago 25 or so I went to a Areosmith concert and they just stood around guitars in hand heads down looking at the floor for the entire concert. I was disappointed.

User Info Menu

my kids find it hillarious when i play cos of the faces i pull ..lol...i can`t help it it`s cos i`m concentratiing ..lol..

dave

User Info Menu

idk about the drums but i used to play the trumpet (i hated it and i sucked at it) but i remember everyone telling me that whenever i played, my face would turn all red and blow up like a balloon, and my eyes would be all squinted and weird. Whenever i was done, my face would be bright red and all swollen looking, it was gross.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

but as for drums, i should probably look in the mirror...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

when i started i set was in front of a mirror ive mangages to avoid looking like i took up the drums just to vent agression
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

i don't really think i make too many faces. noone has said much about it. ive seen some other drummers with weird looks though

User Info Menu

lars is a classic example of this .check out the nothing else matters video .looks like he`s killing somone every time he`s hitting a crash.

lol

dave

User Info Menu

ya hes a dumbvass so the face make sense

User Info Menu

Default Making faces

Lezzle--you may be too young to remember Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie (both trumpeters), but your description of your cheeks when you were attacking the trumpet made me think of them.

I've been told that when I'm groovin,' I've got my eyes closed and I look like a bobblehead doll, just bobbin' away in the back window of a car on the highway. You're not alone, 1DrumBum!

Hey, man, if you're not enjoying your playing, why bother?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

haha. i was practicing the other day and my friend told me I look weird when I play. she says my mouth is slightly open and my tounge is pushing against my teeth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Lezzle--you may be too young to remember Louis Armstrong and Dizzy Gillespie (both trumpeters), but your description of your cheeks when you were attacking the trumpet made me think of them.

I've been told that when I'm groovin,' I've got my eyes closed and I look like a bobblehead doll, just bobbin' away in the back window of a car on the highway. You're not alone, 1DrumBum!

did u know that dizzy gillespie was always called out on playing in an improper way even though he was amazing
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

oh yeah....that reminds me of 6th grade...i started to play trumpet in school and i puffed my cheeks and the teacher got onto me for it and i just said, "well, dizzy gillespie did it"......to this day i like her response though...she said, "when you get that good you can play however u want..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro

Now THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about!!!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    The guys in my band constantly harass me for closing my eyes. They think I'm spacing out, but I'm really just feelin' the groove.
    hahaha my brother got mad at me for doin that while we were jammin, i sort of zone out with a blank stare saighte forward or no stare at all, but i do remember what to play even when im in a zoned state of mind
    Eskimos