Thread: question about snare side head (bottom head on snare)

User Info Menu

Default question about snare side head (bottom head on snare)

is this head important? since i just got a drumset im replacing most of the heads and i was justwondering if i sould replace this head too since im low on budget

User Info Menu

if it's in good condition then leave it, but if there's scratches, wrinkles, or any other signs of "wear and tear" then you should definitely replace it
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

If the snare works and sounds good once you replace the top head leave the bottom head alone. If you don't have experience changing one, if you've never changed one you could cause yourself problems. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Cool question about snare side head (bottom head on snare)...

The bottom head shouldn't need replacing as frequently as the top (batter) head unless you have the snares too tight against the bottom...

if you play like this dude it's easy to tear up the bottom head quickly ...but for most of us, you shouldn't have to...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

My set came with a Remo clear UT on the bottom of the snare. Although it is a lower quality head it does a fine job on the bottom of the snare drum. The only time I can see where replacing it might make a difference is in a recording studio.