Thread: Recording Software

User Info Menu

Default Recording Software

I'm looking into purchasing some recording software and i have absolutely no idea what i'm looking for or need. any suggests about what i should look into and research.

preferably recording software that can do effects like compression,echo,EQ, Reverb, gate, etc...
    Practice doesn't make Perfect, Practice makes Permanent!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Software

Tama, are you looking to purchase software, or are you looking for freeware. A lot of that depends on how powerful you want it to be. I just record the drums for playback purposes so that I can evaluate my playing, and I just use a freeware called Audacity.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Tama 198, What are you using to record with(mics, interface) as far as software goes their are alot of them out there and as PB said also alot of free ones. You can also do trial periods on most of them off the web for 30 days to get a feel for what works for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Tama, are you looking to purchase software, or are you looking for freeware. A lot of that depends on how powerful you want it to be. I just record the drums for playback purposes so that I can evaluate my playing, and I just use a freeware called Audacity.
    yah for right now im not needing a high end software package. just something to get my feet wet in recording. i think i will start off with audacity b/c 1. its free. 2. it seems like a good software for beginning recorders.

also what kind of mics would you suggest. again nothing high end because my drums are not high end pearls or anything. im using a tama swingstar 5 piece kit with ZBt cymbals. would a CAD 5 piece do the trick?

User Info Menu

Tama, I went with the CAD Pro-7. It's a seven piece mic set up that gives you 2 condenser mics for overhead mic'ing the cymbals, plus the 3 tom mics, 1 snare mic, and the bass mic. They are decent mics, but not great mics.

You can go a different way, though, with fewer mics, but better quality.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

You can go a different way, though, with fewer mics, but better quality.
    How would i go about doing that? upgrading the mics but use less of them?

User Info Menu

If you have no recording equiptment(mics, interface, software) you will need just that.
    In the smallest application possible you will need a condensor mic, A audio/digital interface, And a software like audicty or a 30 day sample demo. The condensor mics will pick up the entire set. As PB mentioned you can use more mics for closer sound/ better quality.MIC($50-$90+) The audio interface will be at the cheapest(new)about $30, Even rdio shk carries them. It will need to have Phantom power to power the condensor mic. The interface converts you analog audio signal into a digital one excepted by you PC,. Most cheap interfaces have 2 inputs. And then the software to record it. That is the most Basic setup. F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 10-04-2009 at 01:40 AM.

User Info Menu

All I use is a CAD kick mic and a couple of overheads. And I mean all the time, live shows, recording. Too many mics are just feedback waiting to happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    All I use is a CAD kick mic and a couple of overheads. And I mean all the time, live shows, recording. Too many mics are just feedback waiting to happen.
    Not at all my friend, if that is the case, you or the tech simply don't know what you're doing.
    Having equipment is one thing, knowing how to use it is a whole other story.

OT:
    It seems you are looking for the mics, the interface and the software.
    I'd suggest you get a mic pack (Samson makes a decent budget 7-piece set.) and a Presonus FP10 (formaly Firepod). The FP10 used to come with Cubase LE, now Presonus has their own software package, Presonus Studio One. (You can download a free demo on their site www.presonus.com)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bafke View Post
    Not at all my friend, if that is the case, you or the tech simply don't know what you're doing.
    Having equipment is one thing, knowing how to use it is a whole other story.

Actually Ive been doing live sound for 20yrs. I know exactly what Im doing. I play in a vintage band and I dont want the sharp closed mic sound.
    BUT when a guy who comes in with zero knowledge about mics and sound, like the OP, he will have nothing but problems with a full closed mic situation. A single kick with a pair of overheads is the simplest and cheapest route to a really nice drum sound.

User Info Menu

seems to me that i need to get some equipment first. i already downloaded audacity and from what you guys said the interface is around 30-40 dollars.

what exactly does an interface do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tama_198 View Post
    seems to me that i need to get some equipment first. i already downloaded audacity and from what you guys said the interface is around 30-40 dollars.

what exactly does an interface do?
    All the interface is, is a link between your board and your computer.

User Info Menu

Is an Interface100% necessary?
    Fat Pat, show us your drums page 138, post 3429
    always chang'n sumth'n

User Info Menu

Hey Tama, nice to meet you. Do a search on here. This has been discussed multiple times with great responses and threads. I think you will get a lot out of it that will help you with journey in the recording world.