Drum Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Clarksville, Tennessee

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    I was looking at the map, and it seems that you are a good 400+ miles from where I live.

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was looking at the map, and it seems that you are a good 400+ miles from where I live.
    Yeah, it's a bit more than a day trip! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    So you caught the last train to................
    Good one, Rick!!!
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I was looking at the map, and it seems that you are a good 400+ miles from where I live.
    Yep, I am about 600+ to where you live.

    I'm only a little over 200 to where PB lives.

    I love to take long motorcycle trips, so maybe one day I'll get over to where you are for a visit.
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    600 miles is a long haul for me.

    When I was looking for a home, if you count each trip, I made 5 600 mile trips in about a 5-6 week span.

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    When I was looking for a home, if you count each trip, I made 5 600 mile trips in about a 5-6 week span.
    Ouch!! My 9 1/2 trip to Missouri was long enough, and I'm glad I don't make it too often. I did 1 trip at Thanksgiving, and then another one at Christmas. BTW, that's about 500 miles each way. Of course that's to see family that's been in Okinawa, Japan for the past several years.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Ouch!! My 9 1/2 trip to Missouri was long enough, and I'm glad I don't make it too often. I did 1 trip at Thanksgiving, and then another one at Christmas. BTW, that's about 500 miles each way. Of course that's to see family that's been in Okinawa, Japan for the past several years.

    When I was younger, I loved being on the road.

    I drove to Dallas, leaving late Friday night, stopped in St. Louis to see a couple of friends for a couple of hours. Ate on the fly, and pulled into Dallas early Monday morning. Of course I was 30 years younger.

    Cost me about $8 to get to Harrisburg, dropped down to 70, straight run to St Louis, then south to Tulsa. Stopped at a hugh truck stop to eat, then headed to Big D. The only toll in about 1,500 miles was a $1 for the Indian Nation Turnpike (I think that's what it was called) and pulled into Dallas as the sun was coming up on Monday. That was when I had my Vette, and I probably averaged between 80-85 MPH most of the trip and don't recall seeing a single trooper the whole way. The things your body can handle when you are young.

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The things your body can handle when you are young.
    So true, although when I go to Missouri, I still like to leave late at night and arrive in the morning. There's less traffic that way. The bummer is if you get busy and don't get nay sleep before you head out. Did that at Thanksgiving, and a few years back, when my son was temporarily stationed at Camp Legune, NC, I travelled all night with no sleep during the day, so that I could see him graduate. Then I hung out with him all day before taking him to the airport in Charlotte. After that, I just got in the car and headed home with occasional stops for a wake up walk and some coffee. You could have knocked me over with a feather the next day!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    By the way, how is that detox thing going?

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    600 miles is a long haul for me.

    When I was looking for a home, if you count each trip, I made 5 600 mile trips in about a 5-6 week span.
    You did do a lot of driving!

    My longest motorcycle trip in one day was 710 miles.

    A few years back, my wife and I decided to ride out west since neither of us had been there. We did a little over 500 the first day and another 500 the next.
    That put us in Sante Fe New Mexico. We left the third day going north from there to a place called Taos and spent several hours there before moving on.
    We were headed to Farmington New mexico which is at the 4 corners. We got in a horrific thunderstorm on a 2 lane hwy with to where to pull off and get shelter. That was miserable. The worse part was when I got to Dulce New Mexico, which is indian reservation, They had done road construction and completely taken up the road and road bed. I got in that and it was nothing but slick gumbo mud. I got slowed up to about 10-15 and then the front slid out from under us taking us down. Needless to say, I broke my ankle....bad break. I had to try and walk the bike out another 100 yards before I could get out of the mud. Then, I had to ride 90 more miles to Farmington to get to a medical facility. That was a difficult 90 miles because the broken ankle was on my shifting foot. My 16 day trip ended on the third day. Got back home and had to wait 2 weeks to have surgery on it...
    Hope I don't do that again.

    The only part of NC I've been to is Cherokee. Haven't seen anything else there. Are you close to any of the Nascar facilities?
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    PB, if you're anything like me, you just can't sleep when you know you have to get up and drive a long way. I like to leave at 3am so there's not too much traffic.
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    By the way, how is that detox thing going?
    The last one was a one week easy one (although the aches that I felt while I was going through it might have convinced me to call it something else). On Monday, I started a 5 week weight loss/detox program through my chiropractor. So far it's been pretty easy, but I'll let you know when the detox days get here next week.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    I gotta be honest with you. For a large part of my adult life, I lived on fried foods, eggs over easy, whoppers, pizza, beer, scotch, about 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 40 odd years, 2 marriages, a few blondes here and there, fast cars, the Jersey Turnpike and Jersey drivers and New York city cabbies at 4 in the morning, Nam, and a few other things that I can't think of at the moment.

    If I made it to 66 and all that didn't kill me, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

    Veni, Vedi, I had a scotch.

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I gotta be honest with you. For a large part of my adult life, I lived on fried foods, eggs over easy, whoppers, pizza, beer, scotch, about 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 40 odd years, 2 marriages, a few blondes here and there, fast cars, the Jersey Turnpike and Jersey drivers and New York city cabbies at 4 in the morning, Nam, and a few other things that I can't think of at the moment.

    If I made it to 66 and all that didn't kill me, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

    Veni, Vedi, I had a scotch.
    That's it. I'm done with this health and wellness stuff. Beer and burritos here I come.

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    "Are you close to any of the Nascar facilities?"


    I'm in Statesville. The NASCAR stuff is in Charlotte, about 30 miles south of me.

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    I'm talking about the talent you find in Nashville. Most of the musicians that you will find in Nashville now will blow your mind playing jazz, rock,and blues and just about anything else.
    John
    Hello John,

    I live in Memphis and I travel to Nashville quite a bit. Can you tell me some of the great places to hear the music you speak of? I love all kinds of music, especially country, and of course, the blues since that's what Memphis is known for.

    Take care and thanks!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Are you close to any of the Nascar facilities?"


    I'm in Statesville. The NASCAR stuff is in Charlotte, about 30 miles south of me.
    Wow, that's cool!

    I used to love Nascar, but now I just like it.

    I sent you a PM a day or two ago...didn't know if you got it....

    Looking forward to seeing more vids!

    Take care my friend!
    JIm
    Take care and seeya!

    Jim

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    PB, if you're anything like me, you just can't sleep when you know you have to get up and drive a long way. I like to leave at 3am so there's not too much traffic.
    Sorry I missed this before jgraham. You're right, we are alike in this! I'm by nature a night owl, so it's not really too tough for me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    That's it. I'm done with this health and wellness stuff. Beer and burritos here I come.


    I don't know, Tex. Seems with enough beer AND burritos they could put a jet pack on you and turn you in to a crop duster.

  20. #45

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    As a former chiropractor, I lived what I offered to my patients, so seeking natural health is still a big part of me. I also know that my father died at 68, after having a heart attck at 64. I want to be around for my kids, and grandkids, a little bit longer than that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  21. #46

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    As a former chiropractor, I lived what I offered to my patients, so seeking natural health is still a big part of me. I also know that my father died at 68, after having a heart attck at 64. I want to be around for my kids, and grandkids, a little bit longer than that.

    My Dad died at 38. My mother wouldn't allow a autopsy, so their guess was a blood clot that went to his heart. He was a heavy smoker, but he passed his physical the week before and was water-skiing that week-end. Turned 38 on Monday, dead on Friday.

    My friend and our bass player wasn't a "health nut", but he didn't smoke, and, on the whole, took better care of himself than I did in those days. Massive heart attack 2 days after we got home. He was in his early 40's.

    If you would have asked me just 10 years ago if I thought I'd make it to 66, I would have said no.

    Point being, when they punch your ticket, you could be jogging home from the health food store and buy the farm.

    Morbid, ain't I.

  22. #47

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Clarksville, Tennessee

    Rick, there's a great deal of truth to what you say. A friend of mine was driving with his family when they were rear-ended by a Semi. None of them survived. None of no the exact day, or time, so it's about living each day the best that we know how.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  23. #48

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Clarksville, Tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Rick, there's a great deal of truth to what you say. A friend of mine was driving with his family when they were rear-ended by a Semi. None of them survived. None of no the exact day, or time, so it's about living each day the best that we know how.

    I saw enough of it overseas. I didn't come home determined to live each day to the "fullest", but, it made me look at a lot of things in life differently.

    I take nothing for granted, not even tomorrow. It made it easier at the time (although I didn't realize it for years) to decide to leave a good paying job and "go join the circus". On the other side of the coin, I can't handle BS, have a low tolerance for stupid people and a notoriously (among my friends) short fuse.

    At the same time, I see a lot of bull in the world, especially where I used to live. Down here, I feel like I have a peace and quiet that 20 years ago would have made me nuts. I look at the trees and actually see them for probably the first time since I was a kid.

    When I packed it in and "retired", it wasn't because we didn't have gigs, we (I) still played for almost another year because the gigs were booked. I wasn't tired of playing, I just felt it was time. I don't have a great philosophy about life past the fact that you have it, then you don't. I don't have many regrets in my life because I pretty much did what I wanted to do, but, as I posted once, take pictures and videos, if you don't, when you hit my age, it will be a big regret. It's so easy now to do it. My camcorder does video and photos, and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I have hundreds of photos and videos on my PC. All taken in just the last few years. 30 years ago, I couldn't be bothered, didn't think it was important. It's now, probably the biggest regret of my life since I left the Air Force. Take vids and photos of everything, you will be glad later on that you did.

    That's about as profound as I get.

  24. #49

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Clarksville, Tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I saw enough of it overseas. I didn't come home determined to live each day to the "fullest", but, it made me look at a lot of things in life differently.

    I take nothing for granted, not even tomorrow. It made it easier at the time (although I didn't realize it for years) to decide to leave a good paying job and "go join the circus". On the other side of the coin, I can't handle BS, have a low tolerance for stupid people and a notoriously (among my friends) short fuse.

    At the same time, I see a lot of bull in the world, especially where I used to live. Down here, I feel like I have a peace and quiet that 20 years ago would have made me nuts. I look at the trees and actually see them for probably the first time since I was a kid.

    When I packed it in and "retired", it wasn't because we didn't have gigs, we (I) still played for almost another year because the gigs were booked. I wasn't tired of playing, I just felt it was time. I don't have a great philosophy about life past the fact that you have it, then you don't. I don't have many regrets in my life because I pretty much did what I wanted to do, but, as I posted once, take pictures and videos, if you don't, when you hit my age, it will be a big regret. It's so easy now to do it. My camcorder does video and photos, and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I have hundreds of photos and videos on my PC. All taken in just the last few years. 30 years ago, I couldn't be bothered, didn't think it was important. It's now, probably the biggest regret of my life since I left the Air Force. Take vids and photos of everything, you will be glad later on that you did.

    That's about as profound as I get.
    Rick, as far as profound goes, that's not bad. Having never experienced Vietnam, I can only imagine the impact that's had. I can only say that there was a family in my neighborhood that lost a son in that war, and I distinctly remember the shadow that came over the neighborhood, as we all experienced mourning for that family. To this day, the experience is part of who Iam.

    Having gone through a divorce, I didn't get any of the pictures that I was supposed to get, so although I continue to take pictures now, there are many pictures that I wish I had. But life goes forward, as you know. Oh, and we are more alike than you know. I also left a good paying job for a life as a gypsy. I went from a chiropractor to a life in ministry, which means that I always keep my boxes because I never know when I will be moved to a new church next.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.





    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  25. #50

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Clarksville, Tennessee

    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Rick, as far as profound goes, that's not bad. Having never experienced Vietnam, I can only imagine the impact that's had. I can only say that there was a family in my neighborhood that lost a son in that war, and I distinctly remember the shadow that came over the neighborhood, as we all experienced mourning for that family. To this day, the experience is part of who Iam.

    Having gone through a divorce, I didn't get any of the pictures that I was supposed to get, so although I continue to take pictures now, there are many pictures that I wish I had. But life goes forward, as you know. Oh, and we are more alike than you know. I also left a good paying job for a life as a gypsy. I went from a chiropractor to a life in ministry, which means that I always keep my boxes because I never know when I will be moved to a new church next.


    PB, I'll give you a divorce and raise you 1.

    Seriously though, everything that happens to you in life, be it good,bad, or in between, changes you to some degree. That's the part that makes me wonder now how much each thing that happened in my life, changed me.

    I know my fathers death had a real deep effect on me (I don't say that for any sympathy, it was 53 years ago) but it's a period of 4 days that I think of everyday, whether I want to or not. I haven't been to a wake since then, no matter who, I just don't go. It has caused me some grief from people over the years, but I can't sit there and watch people be miserable.

    On the flip side, good things change you, most of the time in ways you don't realize for years, if ever. My girlfriend told me just last night that she spent 20 years trying to figure out what makes me tick. I told her that that was part of the problem, I don't tick, I just tock, and therein lies the difference.

    That, to me, is what makes life interesting.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •