Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarksville, Tennessee

User Info Menu

Default Clarksville, Tennessee

I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, which is a college town, and the university (Middle Tennessee State University) has an excellent music program, so there is no shortage of musicians in Murfreesboro. For this reason, we have numerous small to medium sized venues around town, and a number of churches with contemporary services that utilize musicians. We also have several music production studios in Murfreesboro.

In addition, Murfreesboro is a mere 30 miles southeast of the Nashville music scene - the Country Music capital. Music Row, in Nashville, is a great place to hear great musicians giving their all. Even the legends of the Country Music world can ocassionally be found offering their talents in the establishments of Music Row. Nashville is also home to the Grand Ole Opry, where legend after legend has played since 1925.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nashville/Murfreesboro

Hey man. I don't live in murfreesboro now, but next year I'll be attending school there. I was wondering, I've only been playing for a year now, so I've still got a lot of growing to go on the drumset, does the country music scene influence your drumming a lot?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat coddude321!

I have to admit that I spent a lot more of my life on Southerm California, so I am much more of a Beach Boys fan than a country music fan, but it is starting grow on me. Frankly, I want to be a well rounded drummer, so I want to play a lot of different styles. I love Classic Rock, Blues, Contemporary Christian music, but I would love to learn Jazz, and since my drum teacher is a pro with strong roots in the Nashville scene, I have now doubt that she will make sure that I can hang with Country music too.

I assume that you are coming to MTSU, so if you want a good drum teacher, let me know and I will let you know how to contact mine. The good thing about a college campus is that if you are interested in hanging out with other musicians, it won't be too hard to find them!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Do you attend MTSU yourself Bob? I live in LaVergne (next to Smyrna) maybe we can jam sometime. Also, who's your drum teacher, I'm only 16 but I wanna learn as much as I can before I graduate from high school.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the compliment Crateis! I am 55 years young, and although seminary isn't that far behind me, I suspect my college days are over now. I serve a church here in Murfreesboro, and I would be happy to jam sometime as long as your parents are Ok with it.

The teacher that I study with is Darla Perlozzi. She is an A-list endorsed drummer, and has quite a musical resume, including co-writing a hit song "Loud," which was recorded by Big & Rich. I take lessons at The Music Stop in Murfreesboro. You can check out Darla on her MySpace page under "Darla Rae," or at the Mapex artist site.

Hailing from Youngstown, Ohio, this feisty Italian has beat all odds as a female drummer in a male dominated profession. Darla Perlozzi moved to Nashville in 1997 and quickly found her spot in the music industry. Drumming for 35 years, Darla also has 21 years experience and is highly educated in music composition, arrangement and orchestration. Darla had the priviledge to work as the drummer, bandleader, road manager and head of fan club operations for country music duo "The Lynn's", the daughters of Loretta Lynn, for three years early in her career.

Darla was an artist on Curb Records from 2003-2006 and has numerous endorsements. These endorsements include Mapex Drums, Pro-Mark Drumsticks, Sabian Cymbals, Attack Drumheads, Rock Bags and Janus Drum Pedals. Through her touring experiences, Darla has had the opportunity to share her musical talents in many different countries including playing for our troops over seas, the King of Morrocco, and playing in Switzerland, Italy, Paris, Greece, Norway and Japan to name a few.

In 2005, Darla was asked to play on the Country Music Awards with Terri Clark and in the last year recieved a gold album for her song "Loud" that was recorded by country music artists Big & Rich on their latest album "Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace." To date, Darla has had many esteemed accomplishments during her career, including the Congressional Record of Honor. She currently owns and runs Misstyx Studio in Murfreesboro, TN with her husband Timmy Patterson.

Darla is also a very talented songwriter and has co-written several hit songs with various performers.

-----------------------------------

I can't recommend her enough. Hey, she's managing to make a drummer out of me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thank you for the compliment Crateis! I am 55 years young, and although seminary isn't that far behind me, I suspect my college days are over now. I serve a church here in Murfreesboro, and I would be happy to jam sometime as long as your parents are Ok with it.

The teacher that I study with is Darla Perlozzi. She is an A-list endorsed drummer, and has quite a musical resume, including co-writing a hit song "Loud," which was recorded by Big & Rich. I take lessons at The Music Stop in Murfreesboro. You can check out Darla on her MySpace page under "Darla Rae," or at the Mapex artist site.

At this time, I somehow feel compelled to introduce our new single. It's called "Blessed is the Man (Who Endures Temptation)". I know this is not germane to the topic, but something just told me this was as good a time as any to share it. I don't know why. My mind just works funny somtimes, I guess...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yr-yfzBhjs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yr-yfzBhjs[/ame]

j/k PB
    Last edited by xsabers; 12-14-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Wait....Pastor Bob, this is your drum teacher???? This is the one you've been speaking of for the past year or so??? It's no wonder that you're a "roadie" as you discribed in past posts! Who wouldn't be????

You need to post a recent drum video of yourself. WE gotta see if you're doing your homework! Wow.....just wow!

User Info Menu

Darla is a great teacher, and is married. We have become good friends, but that is it. I do understand what you are saying though xsabers. Who wouldn't know that Darla is pretty special.

late8, I have been holding off on vids, because Darla has spent the better part of a year fixing several faults, as well as introducing me to new sticking patterns and new bass patterns. It has all seemed so basic, so I didn't feel like a vid was appropriate. We are starting to get into playing to songs, and going for "feel," so hopefully I'll have some interesting vids soon.

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob, we all have our faults except for the all Mighty. It would be great if you could share what Darla is "fixing" so we could ALL benefit from your videos just as you requested one from me on my new 1 up 2 down set up. It would be very "educational" as you put it to me

Best way to learn is from our mistakes and as glaring as they may seem, you'll only show that you're human.

So come on....let's see how this amazing teacher/friend/songwriter has transformed you into a drummer

We've been wanting to hear that wonderful Gretsch kit and those beautiful snares and those awesome cymbals for a long time

I'll make you a deal. You put a video up and I'll match you and produce one too. I know it's hard putting yourself out there but look how many videos you've seen posted on DrumChat, good or bad, we all have only positive things to say, that's how "we" roll here....you know....you and many others have set the standard here.

User Info Menu

Can't fault a single thing you said late8, and you are right that I have been slacking for too long. I will try to get something up after Christmas.

User Info Menu

Can't fault a single thing you said late8, and you are right that I have been slacking for too long. I will try to get something up after Christmas.
    Pastor Bob, you've made my week! That's fantastic! The respect and admiration we have for you on your amazing post count total, and the fondness that we have for you as an "all around" great guy will be solidified even further as we finally see you behind the kit.

This will garner your creditability and it will be a witness that it's never too "late" to start an endeavour as complicated as drumming in the later years of our lives.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

late8
    Last edited by late8; 12-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

PB, I understand your roots from southern California and your earlier music taste. But don't ever overlook the current talent in modern "Country Music". I'm not talking about the crap that they push on Top Forty County stations, I'm talking about the talent you find in Nashville. Most of the musicians that you will find in Nashville now will blow your mind playing jazz, rock,and blues and just about anything else.

I know from reading your post on here for the past few years that you are a very open minded musician. So get out and soak up all of the great music that you have right in your back yard.

P.S. If my first drum teacher looked anything like yours I would still be studing. Best of Holiday wishes to you and yours. John

User Info Menu

John, you are right about the amount of talent in my backyard. I wish I had more time to explore venues, but unfortunately my job doesn't end at 5:00 p.m., so I do what I can to see live shows, but most of my exploring is confined to radio. I appreciate your encouragement though, and I will see what I can do about seeing more of the talent that is available. I do know someone here in Murfreesboro that is part of a Blues house band, and they do show on Tuesday nights that allows for people to sit in with the band. He has encouraged me to come sit in on drums and I hope that I can do it soon.

Best of Holiday wishes to you and yours as well John.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    P.S. If my first drum teacher looked anything like yours I would still be studing. Best of Holiday wishes to you and yours. John

WHOOP!! WHOOP!!!

Freudian Slip Typo Award Winner!!!!

User Info Menu

^xsabers....ROFL! You're the best! Nobody but YOU would of caught that! Good eye!

I'm still rolling from laughter!

User Info Menu

Yep, I totally missed that. I just read it as "studying," the way he meant it. Good eye indeed xsabers!

User Info Menu

PD, Xsabers what makes you guys think that was a spelling typo :>) ? John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    PD, Xsabers what makes you guys think that was a spelling typo :>) ? John

User Info Menu

Yeah a video would be awesome Bob...and yeah jammings def a possibility. Its cool that your trainers a Mapex drummer, as that's my kit as well :P

What church do you attend btw, I'm currently at the Oasis if you've heard of it.

User Info Menu

Hailing from Youngstown, Ohio, this feisty Italian has beat all odds as a female drummer in a male dominated profession. Darla Perlozzi moved to Nashville in 1997 and quickly found her spot in the music industry. Drumming for 35 years, Darla also has 21 years experience and is highly educated in music composition, arrangement and orchestration. Darla had the priviledge to work as the drummer, bandleader, road manager and head of fan club operations for country music duo "The Lynn's", the daughters of Loretta Lynn, for three years early in her career.

Darla was an artist on Curb Records from 2003-2006 and has numerous endorsements. These endorsements include Mapex Drums, Pro-Mark Drumsticks, Sabian Cymbals, Attack Drumheads, Rock Bags and Janus Drum Pedals. Through her touring experiences, Darla has had the opportunity to share her musical talents in many different countries including playing for our troops over seas, the King of Morrocco, and playing in Switzerland, Italy, Paris, Greece, Norway and Japan to name a few.

In 2005, Darla was asked to play on the Country Music Awards with Terri Clark and in the last year recieved a gold album for her song "Loud" that was recorded by country music artists Big & Rich on their latest album "Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace." To date, Darla has had many esteemed accomplishments during her career, including the Congressional Record of Honor. She currently owns and runs Misstyx Studio in Murfreesboro, TN with her husband Timmy Patterson.

Darla is also a very talented songwriter and has co-written several hit songs with various performers.

-----------------------------------

I know this post is a couple of years old. I was just looking around at different posts that I normally don't go to and found this.

PB, you sly old dog, I would take lessons from her if she only taught glockenspeil.

User Info Menu

Rick, I was so bummed out when I moved from Murfreesboro to Clarksville, because I knew that being able to continue lessons with Darla was going to be a long shot. Working with a new church usually means that you are doing an extraordinary amount of work in the beginning, so driving 1 1/2 for a one hour lesson each month got tough. I was giving up 4 hours each time I went for a lesson. Then gas prices kept going up, and I just had to quit.

On the other hand, the current church in Clarksville supports my musical talents, and I have had the opportunity to begin playing with a band, and even do a few shows. I have also discovered that as we add new songs, I am finding myself able to figure out how to play things that I have never studied, or practiced. I will always be grateful to Darla for what she taught me, and maybe one day I'll have a chance to study with her again.

User Info Menu

So you caught the last train to................

User Info Menu

LOL I keep telling the band that we have to play that song. It's really not that tough to play.

User Info Menu

Rick, I was so bummed out when I moved from Murfreesboro to Clarksville, because I knew that being able to continue lessons with Darla was going to be a long shot. Working with a new church usually means that you are doing an extraordinary amount of work in the beginning, so driving 1 1/2 for a one hour lesson each month got tough. I was giving up 4 hours each time I went for a lesson. Then gas prices kept going up, and I just had to quit.

On the other hand, the current church in Clarksville supports my musical talents, and I have had the opportunity to begin playing with a band, and even do a few shows. I have also discovered that as we add new songs, I am finding myself able to figure out how to play things that I have never studied, or practiced. I will always be grateful to Darla for what she taught me, and maybe one day I'll have a chance to study with her again.

PB........Have you found a decent teacher in Clarksville? Your last one was definitely easy on the eyes...............think I would get distracted

....didn't know you were in Clarksville..........spent some time up there with the 101st "Screaming Eagles"...............didn't get too familiar with the area though, as most of the time we were deployed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    PB........Have you found a decent teacher in Clarksville? Your last one was definitely easy on the eyes...............think I would get distracted
    I'm sure there are some good drum teachers available, because Austin Peay State University is here. The issue for me is finding time, because working with a new church is very time consuming. Many times, there are issues that need to be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ....didn't know you were in Clarksville..........spent some time up there with the 101st "Screaming Eagles"...............didn't get too familiar with the area though, as most of the time we were deployed.
    I fully understand, it seems that as one group comes home, another group deploys, so Fort Campbell stays in flux. Whenever I am in Clarksville, though, and see a soldier in uniform, I try to let them know that their service is appreciated. I have noticed in the past that soldiers were shy about accepting the appreciation. I assume that was because they were getting it from everywhere. Now, they they seem grateful for the appreciation, because overall appreciation has waned.