Thread: Refinishing Drums.

User Info Menu

Default Refinishing Drums.

Where do I start? I want to buy an inexpensive used kit and attempt to refinish them, but I do not know where to start. I have a lot of time on my hands as I recently broke my wrist and cannot do anything, so I think a project like this would be great. Any help is appreciated, I really need it.

Thanks.
    My kit: Pulse 5 Pc. 22" x 16" Bass, 12" x 10" and 13" x 11" Toms, 16" x 16" Floor Tom, 5-1/2" x 14" Steel Snare, SP770DPC Double Bass Pedal, 18" Ziljian ZBT Crash/Ride, 10" Ziljian ZBT Splash, 13" Stagg Hi-Hats, 16" Stagg Crash. I use Vic Firth "NOVA" U.S.A. Hickory 2b's.

I'll soon have Pics up of it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Refinishing Drums.

ILiekMufenz, I am assuming that it is a wrapped kit. If so, removing the existing wrap without damaging the underlying wood might be tougher than you think. There are others on the forum that have restored drums, so I am sure you'll get some good advice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Refinishing Drums.

Thanks, and I believe it's just at the seam. It's a very low end kit, my friend bought it for about 150 bucks about 3 years ago from Sams. I just wanted a kit to refinish to practice a little on.
    My kit: Pulse 5 Pc. 22" x 16" Bass, 12" x 10" and 13" x 11" Toms, 16" x 16" Floor Tom, 5-1/2" x 14" Steel Snare, SP770DPC Double Bass Pedal, 18" Ziljian ZBT Crash/Ride, 10" Ziljian ZBT Splash, 13" Stagg Hi-Hats, 16" Stagg Crash. I use Vic Firth "NOVA" U.S.A. Hickory 2b's.

I'll soon have Pics up of it.