Thread: Help =[

User Info Menu

Default Help =[

I feel like I have hit a wall, I got alot better over the past couple months and REALLY noticed an improvement, but now I feel like I have hit a brick wall (metaphorically )

For example, today, I played with my buddy Mike, who I play with pretty regularly, we played for about 40 minutes and it was a sweet jam...but than I just lost it and wanted to take a break...I also woke up 10 minutes before we played so maybe that's why...but it wasn't just today I have noticed it before.

I play just about everyday / every other day for an hour or two, covering songs, and just messing around.

Let me know if you guys have any advice or anything that might help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help =[

Do you have a drum teacher?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Do you know all your rudiments? Try stripping down your kit, adding some more, or practicing a style of music you're not used to.

User Info Menu

are you tired before playing?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Dont have a teacher, wish I did, but rent + car payments + going to school + working a part time job as a 19 year old isn't very easy xD

dont have the money for a teacher at the moment, but trying my hardest to make sure I do soon...I am not usually tired, like I said I may have been today. I actually did strip my set a little while ago and removed one mounted tom so I have just 1 and 2 floors, I like that more. I know a good amount of rudiments but hardly practice them enough to consider myself good at any of them...which is a problem, I get very frustrated with them and I lose focus. Any good ones I should focus on besides like paradiddles?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    Do you know all your rudiments? Try stripping down your kit, adding some more, or practicing a style of music you're not used to.
    I am a metal head, but I love funk and stuff like that...the bands I mostly cover are of course metal bands, chili peppers, rage against the machine, basically it...I can play any rage/rhcp song and find them a little boring at times (dont hate me - i love rhcp and chad...) metal songs are either too crazy for me at times or I can cover them easily...what should I focus on? Jazz? If so can you give me some good songs (give me good songs to work on for any recommended genre)

Been working on some Neil Peart stuff, tried limelight the other day and that didn't go too well

User Info Menu

JOX, sometimes there are other things going on in our lives that cause us to be distracted. Some days I just can't practice well because of the things on my mind. It might also be that you have found commonality in the rhythms you play, and it has gotten boring to you. In that case, I think you've hit it when you ask about whether you should tackle Jazz. Maybe you do need something different to keep it fresh.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

try something new time to time like a groove or a song you didn't have the guts to try before. challenges keep it going
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Honestly, I try every song I really enjoy, if I can't play it, I make peace with that but still try.

I don't know where to go from here, I feel kind of stuck, I noticed you said play jazz, like what songs? What drummers? Some examples would be a great help. I hate not having a teacher as I had one for about 6 months when I was younger before **** got complicated with my family...I wish I could afford one but like I said living on my own is rough....

I dont necessarily get bored when im covering songs, I can actually lose myself in the time that passes not realizing how long I have actually played...my main problem is when I jam we will have something crazy going and I will either just lose motivation/get bored/get too repetetive for my own taste.