Thread: Snare Issues

User Info Menu

Default Snare Issues

I just picked up a new head for my snare. i just got the old one sounding sort of the way I wanted, but it was really worn out by that point. LOL. I replaced with a Remo Vintage A which I use on all my toms (Incredible heads by the way).0

Here is the issue: I get a terrible rim shot sound. And something just doesn;t sound right. There is this weird high pitched overtone that almost sound slike guitar feedback. Pretty vague but that whats going on. I have tried tighteniong the snare side almost all the way, and have been adjusting the batter up and down. I can't seem to find that tone. When I hit the rim it sounds dead with pretty much no resonance. I tried matching the pitches of the snare side and batter with no luck as well. I know there are countless snare tuning threads, and I have just read them all. Any help on this one? Thanks!

Nick
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Issues

Nick, are you sure that as you go around the head, that the tone at each lug is even all the way around? If the head is not in tune with itself, you can get some of the problems you are describing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes I am a freak about tuning the head to itself. I think it may have something to do with my snare wires. They are the original ones from the kit, and have never been changed. I will keep messing with it until I get it figured out, but its frustrating. I have the snare that came with the kit. probably the same one as you Pastor Bob. I have a Catalina as well. Using an ambassador snare side and a Vintage A for the batter. the Vintage A is brand new so I know its not the heads.
    Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

I imagine you have probably tried all of this, but it's been my experience that when there is an intense overtone like that, it often has to do with the snares being way too loose or to too tight. It sounds like the snares may be choking the drum, and creating a weird overtone as they vibrate on the bottom head. It could also be that the batter head is just too tight. I would try playing around with the snare tension, and see if that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    I have tried tighteniong the snare side almost all the way............

..........When I hit the rim it sounds dead with pretty much no resonance.
    Your reso is tuned waaaaaaaaaay to high.

User Info Menu

Im going to try the Gatzen thing tonight and tune the reso to an A. Then mees with the batter til I get it to sound good. I was watching a video earlier today and the guy tightened the two lugs on each side of the snare bed and loosened the others. he didn't bother to match the pitches on the reso to much. His snare sounded pretty good when he was finished. Is this something that is a good practice, or just a quick fix?
    Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

Got it! Snare sounds great but now I have to work out a little of the buzz. Thats another night though. Im tired... Thanks!
    Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    Got it! Snare sounds great but now I have to work out a little of the buzz. Thats another night though. Im tired... Thanks!
    Never mind I couldnt help but to go figure it out. I got it down to an acceptable buzz and everything sounds good.
    Sabian XS Cymbals

User Info Menu

if you don't want the buzz, then try loosening and tightening the snare. Monkey around and see what's best.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I've come to find out that snare buzz is inherent with any drum kit. I do not want to sacrifice the sound I want from my toms to fix the issue. I have it to where it just buzzes a little with the resonance from my toms. It only lasts as long as the resonance, and when I recorded it with my macbook to a video I couln't really hear it. if I was playing with a band it would be invisible im sure.
    Sabian XS Cymbals