Thread: I want to start a drum shop any owners out there?

User Info Menu

Default I want to start a drum shop any owners out there?

I have been interested in this for a while and was looking for some general feedback. Is a drum shop a profitable business. What is the markup on heads and sicks etc. If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it. How would you go about getting suppliers for shells and skins etc.? Thanks n advance.

Nick

Advertisement
    Quality Drum Domains
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want to start a drum shop any owners out there?

All I can say is good luck.

In this current economy, I'd sit tight for a while.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

google, musicorp, hope for some endorsement/dealer hookups, yamaha is good to dealers, precision drum company

you buy heads around $15 each sell up to $20-30. but keep in mind how many kids come in and look around and dont buy anything. kids will always compare your tiny little shop to guitar center. You may have the best quality gear but you cant compete with DW propaganda.

User Info Menu

Not going to do this tomorrow or anything. I'm just curious. I would think shops sell more heads than anything.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple (Broken down to a 4pc)
    Sabian XS Cymbals
    Paiste Signature 14" Hi Hats

User Info Menu

can I have a job .. ill telecommute from Oregon ok ??

really the economy seems a little scary right now but Iwish you luck on your endevor when you decide to take it on. good move starting with asking questions

User Info Menu

Yeah I'd just wish good luck...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acq1 View Post
    Not going to do this tomorrow or anything. I'm just curious. I would think shops sell more heads than anything.
    Its an internet world anymore. Brick and Mortar just wont cut it by itself. I would test the waters by creating an online store on eBay or something. Good luck !

User Info Menu

acq1, there is a music store in my town that is doing fairly well. I am in a college town, so education is big around here, and the music store has become the primary supplier for the school music programs. They sell and rent instruments for the kids, and they get to know the music directors. They also deliver to the schools, and they offer music lessons on a variety of instruments. They aren't a high end shop, but they help kids get into music. Since they employ college students, they ocassionally get someone who wants to trade gear for something else, so they have just enough medium range gear to keep the more advanced player interested. Little by little their drum section is growing in quality too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

From my experience, instrument lessons and rental is the mainstay of the local music shop. Without it, I doubt they could stay in business.

I was chatting with one of the owners of a shop I like about drums. He pointed out that while they can compete with regular online prices by matching, they can't offer blowout deals the way GC or MF can.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I was concidering a Drum salvage shop! Just for projects really nothing full time. I would say just do your research and always remember, Location, location, location!

User Info Menu

When talking to the guy that sold me my drums, he runs a drums-only shop, he told me the advantage he holds over other (smaller) music stores, is that by only selling drums, he can get great deals from his dealers.
    The guy advertises alot on the 2nd hand market, has about 60 kits in the showroom, he's the biggest DW dealer in the country (always has about 13 kits DW kits setup in the showroom, and as you all should know, that is ALOT considering most people just end up ordering a custom kit anyway).
    He is also the main aquarian dealer in the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
    He also always tries to be cheaper, and most of his prices are the same as the really big music stores.

He runs the shop entirely by himself, has a really awesome service, and he loves to talk about what he does.
    I have to drive an hour to get there, but I wouldn't buy my drums anywhere else.

I can PM you his website if you want, (don't know if I can post it?) I'm sure he'll answer some of the questions you have.
    Don't forget he's in Belgium though, so American brands are more expensive here and some information might differ.
    Last edited by Bafke; 09-29-2009 at 03:09 PM.

User Info Menu

That would be really tuff to pull off..A drum store here in Boston (Jacks Drum Shop) which is literaly rite outside the door of Berklee closed up shop.It's a shame too, they where in business since the 40's/50's.

But you could always sell to 2slow, he buys 2 or 3 different kits a month!haha

User Info Menu

I had to close my shop in 2000.Lost our lease and I was afraid of the economy to commit to any long term lease.I had great line's... DW,Pacific,Mapex,Taye,Sonor,Premier,Gms,Pork Pie,Spaun.Generally, You need to contact the Manufacturer to see if your're able to rep they product's in your area.Large company's like Kaman and HSS sell a wide range of companys [ Gretsch,Sabian.Remo,Gibraltal,Sonor,Paiste,Vic Firth,Pro Mark, etc ] Every Company has a different 1st purchase policy [ how much to buy, what your discount is ] Discounts range from 50%-70% off retail price and you need to pay shipping.Now this might seem like a good deal,but look @ Internet prices and compare to shops in your area and you find you need to sell a lot of kits to pay your bills.You will sell a lot of starter kits $450 or less complete [ look for a good line-VERY IMPORTANT] some Intermediate kits and few high end kits. Snare drums and stands help,but heads,sticks and cymbals are usually slow.Ask all your drummer friends how often they buy gear and for the most part its not very often.You will need a retail space as you cannot sell out of your house.I started as a hobby w/ $25k and soon found that to have a decent inventory you need @ least double that.Every January there is the NAMM Show [usually in Calif.] All the manufacturer's are there in one place and it really is Drum Over Load your 1st time.Once you have your line's you need to buy a minimun purchase every Jan.-Feb. to keep your line's.The more line's you have ,the more expensive it get's.Remember that you HAVE TO BUY A MINIMUM FROM EVERY COMPANY.I'm not sure about your area or your competetion,but do your research 1st.Who is selling what,what kind of discount and inventory.Try and sublease space in a Guitar shop.You really only need a small room to start.Build shelve's and stack kits to the ceiling.If you can build a sound proof room it helps a lot for demo's and teaching is important.Even w/ the Internet and Super Store's...Some Drum shop's still do well due to Product Knowage,Service,etc.Remember when you buy a new kit,It come's in 3 boxes and need's to be put together and tuned.Most beginner's and some Intermediate player's have no idea how to do this.A Drum Shop take's HARD WORK AND LONG HOURS. You will talk to lots of people and a lot of them are only looking. You'll probably make more working @ your local music store and it will be a lot less stressful ... But... If you do it right,Its very fulfilling and for some of us ,Money isn't everything. Good Luck !!!

User Info Menu

I think it would be a good idea to sell other instruments as well as drums. There are probably 10 guitarists to every drummer, so you'd be doing yourself a favour by stocking some guitars, amps and strings.

...and when you sit down to work out what it's all going to cost you, don't forgetting to budget for lots and lots of marketing.