Thread: Teacher Help!

User Info Menu

Default Teacher Help!

OK so im teaching one of the kids (long time family friend) at my church how to play drums

can you give me any suggestions on what should i be teaching him and how and such forth

any techniques that your teachers used on you that were really effective?

thx amp
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

First and foremost you teach according to their needs. Cater the lesson to them. If they need to play a solid groove for worship band, don't start them off with triple paradiddles. And visa versa.

Secondly, go slow enough that they grasp each concept one at a time. Let them work through the exercises in front of you and correct them as needed. Encourage creativity but make sure they're playing everything clean.

I could write a book on the subject of teaching. But I won't be doing it here. LOL

User Info Menu

really cuz that would help
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I think another good point would be to make the lessons interesting. You don't really try hard at a lesson if you aren't entertained.

My drum teacher used to work through tabs with me, and show me cool ideas for fills and stuff.

Oh, and start very basic. Only the real simple beats, then move on to snare and bass variations.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i started with rolls and went on to the basic rock beat and then my teach taught me awesum fills for tht beat and by tht made it so fun for me to learn

User Info Menu

Cool Teacher help!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer

I could write a book on the subject of teaching. But I won't be doing it here. LOL
    And why not, Tom?

Hey, amp, drummer's advice is as always excellent.

Has your buddy watched you play--or tried to play--your drums before now? And is he going to play with your church group? Like drummer said, that's gonna help you determine what you need to teach him. If I were teachin' a student, I would work with him no more than an hour at a time; start with once a week, and if he gets into it, maybe two to three times a week max. That'll give him time to practice, and you can break up what he needs to learn into manageable chunks.

Of course you'll want to link your buddy to the rudiment links on drumbum.com...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck