Thread: Paiste 2002

User Info Menu

Default Paiste 2002

Mmmk, so im bout to switch brands from zildjian over to paiste when i can afford it, now im just gonna skip the balogna PST 5's and PST 3's, ect

What i was looking at was the paiste 2002 series, everyone says this is where paiste gets its name, and well the cymbals dont cost that much

Well ive read reviews on cymbals over musicians friend, and i know a lot of you guys are big time hard hitters

According to reviews on musicians friend, they say paiste 2002's arnt for hard hitters, now im a hard hitter, that kinda worrys me, i dont wanna go investing on cymbals online, for them to be great sounding, but so fragile you crack one within a month

Since i know you guys have used 2002's before, what does anyone think of the thickness? Can it withhold a beating and still carry on?

User Info Menu

Sorry man, but I use all Paiste Alphas'. I know a couple of fellow drummers that use 2002s' and none of us has ever cracked one. We all agree on one thing:

Paiste is made for hittin'!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

john bonham made 2002s famous...and that man could hit hard (and very quiet). if it means anything, the only two kinds of cymbals i ever broke were MADE for hard hitters... 3 rudes and 1 Z custom. 2002s are very versitile cymbals maybe not the thing for death metal, but perfect for about any other kind of rock music. i would say they are the paiste equal to zildjian A medium thin crashes.

User Info Menu

You broke 3 rudes?

Wow. I cracked a Z custom crash (right in the middle of the cymbal), and the drum tech I took it to said that Z customs were "too heavy for their own good" and implied that they had a tendency to break because they were so heavy.

Perhaps the 2002s would last longer because they have a bit more 'give' in them, and aren't as inflexible as Z customs?

Any thoughts? I've been checking out the 2002s as well, and wondering if it's worth picking one up. I love the sound they give.

User Info Menu

Well, i mean, bohnam was thor the god of thunders little minion now wasnt he? He was a huge hitter

But when he was around they made the paiste 2002's out of B8 metal (The same stuff ZXT, ZBT, PST, and b8's are made off)

I too love the sound, sounds great for rock, and there not that bad on price

But the reviews made me question, because people were saying they cracked the crashes, and that they wernt for hard hitters

Well, at least they put a 1 year warrenty on the cymbals (paiste does, no extra pay)

User Info Menu

most of those reviews are made by 13 yo kids with horrible technique that want to mount thier cymbals above head level and hit them as hard as they can in a feeble attempt to look like travis barker.

User Info Menu

Ah that would make sence

You know waht the horrible part is, im 13, and i like my cymbals over my head (i dunno, its something about, the only cymbals i can stand to keep at about tom level and below are my rythmn cymbals, hi hat, ride, and my splash, yes i use my splash as a nice beat cymbal, just because the quick die off of the sound)

But i dont whale on them terribly, and i dont keep them horazontal, i keep them at a slight angly twords me
    Last edited by Ch33zz; 02-20-2007 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    john bonham made 2002s famous...and that man could hit hard (and very quiet).
    Amen to that!! I loves the 2002's great for rock, jazz, metal .. a great all around cymbal series
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

I use PST-3's and 5's
    They're ****, Rude is the way to go

User Info Menu

Default Paiste 2002

OLA ,I use (2)Two of them THEY are Hot I Love them*1 18"
    & 1-16".VERY COOL & SMOOTH*
    GRACIAS

ThePloughman Guest

Hard Hitter is such a relative term. Theres no absolute in that, nothing really definable, if you get what I mean. My first 2002 cymbals were exactly two years old when I got them, I have no idea how that guy played. I used those cymbals for the next 23 years before I sold them. And to this day I regret that decision. No keyhole, no cracks, no warps, no edge or bell dents.

And yes, I probably did at times, have bad technique. So does every body at times, even guys with good technique. I think if you are endorsed, and have a contract that allows an unlimited supply of cymbals, you can be travis barker. I think if you are a normal guy who has to pay 250 bucks each for his 18" crashes, then you must play like a normal guy that pays 250 bucks each for his 18" crashes.

To me, a hard hitter is someone who is just bashing the crapola out of his kit and cymbals with little regard for the production of music, and more regard for the production of show. If playing hard is truely warranted by the music, Im sure you can develope the technique to do that with minimal damage to gear. However one thing must be recognized.... with use comes wear. Hard use increases wear. Abusive use causes wear to advance into damage. Prolonged abusive use will always result in equipment failure and will be expensive.

So when being asked about will this last for a hard hitter, I think a person needs to consider exactly what is meant by that..... and see if that really does fit within the real confines of "proper useage".. as for myself, Ive played 33 years and have not broken any cymbals.

Currently using
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hats
    16" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Paiste 2002 Thin China
    24" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

I got me a 2002 20" heavy ride many may many years ago, still use it and its a beaut, also have a set of formula 602 sound edge hats, no signs of cracks after 20 years! I did trash an 18" avedis though, that was a sad day.

User Info Menu

Derek Roddy uses them and he's one of the greatest death metal drummers around.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey how thick are the Paiste sigs compared to the 2002?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

ThePloughman Guest

Thickness isnt the issue between 2oo2 and Signature cymbals. The real issue between those two lines is simply there are two diverse metal alloys involved. They are different, resulting in different sounds. Both cymbal lines carry cymbals in crash and ride configurations that vary greatly in thickness within the line. I have used both cymbal lines. And currently, as stated, am mainly using the 2oo2s. However....... by the end of the year I fully intend to rebuild my collection of Signatures that I sold off in 04 when we refied the house.

Buy cymbals that sound good in the style of music you are playing, and pace your playing for the endurance of your gear.

User Info Menu

I see thanks for the info
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby View Post
    You broke 3 rudes?

Wow. I cracked a Z custom crash (right in the middle of the cymbal), and the drum tech I took it to said that Z customs were "too heavy for their own good" and implied that they had a tendency to break because they were so heavy.

Perhaps the 2002s would last longer because they have a bit more 'give' in them, and aren't as inflexible as Z customs?

Any thoughts? I've been checking out the 2002s as well, and wondering if it's worth picking one up. I love the sound they give.
    rudes and z customs are too thick. 2002 crashes are great. iv'e heard good things about the 2002 wild crash. paul botasph uses those