Thread: Guitarist problem!

User Info Menu

Default Guitarist problem!

Me and my friends are in a band, we have been for some time.

As we reached the end of compulsary education one of my best all time freinds has gone to college. Its tricky now because he cant do many practices and isnt a great musician. the other members of the band want him out but wont kick him out, so its up to me.

What should i do, if i was to kick him, how could i do it in the nicest possible way, i want to stay freinds with him, and want my parents to stay freinds with his parents.

Any possible ideas ? thanks
    Alex

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guitarist problem!

I played guitar for a band that the singer and myself wanted to get rid of the drummer...so...instead of being adults about it and asking him to leave...we both quit the band...then started a new band...who happened to play the music of the old band.

User Info Menu

I think you should be honest and tell him that you and the rest of the band want to practise more and his commitments with college are hampering ye're advancement..if that fails just sack him he won't be the first and certainly won't be the last to get sacked by a band..
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnpk View Post
    I think you should be honest and tell him that you and the rest of the band want to practise more and his commitments with college are hampering ye're advancement..if that fails just sack him he won't be the first and certainly won't be the last to get sacked by a band..
    You're right.

Alex.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

I agree with drumnpk. If he is the friend that you believe him to be, then your friendship will survive it if you sit down with him and honestly tell him what he needs to know. Just be yourself, and be honest. Tell him it bothers you to even have to talk to him about it. Chances are that he already knows that he's dragging the band. Besides, he already had a choice to make - band first or college first, and he chose college.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think you have some good advise here (from the others). In addition, I do understand why they picked you to do the deed. You are closest to him and he trusts that you will be on the level with him. Good luck !

Here is a story, I was in a band and has had it with the singer (the guy just could not remember his lyrics), so I gave the band an ultimatum..either he walks or I walk. Luckily they chose me, but we all selected the guitar player to do the deed....because he works with him (day job). Well, it went the worse way possible...he got violent and punched the guitar player. Then, tried to storm into our rehearsal place to take some equipment. So, the lesson to learn here is to be very careful in how you approach this.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with the others Honesty is the best policy. Tell him the band wants to move forward and needs the entire band at regular rehearsals, and with his schedule that's a problem. Tell him in the nicest possible way, and tell him it's not a reflection on his playing, or how well liked he is, the decision is just based on his inability to rehearse.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Many of us here have been through this before, and some of us many times over the course of the years and many bands.

We recently had to let our lead guitarist go, so I can relate to what you're saying. In this case, he is extremely talented, but can't make practices once a week (which is not a lot, many bands practice 2-3 times a week), and will just show up at a gig to play. We kind of have a rule that if you can't make practice, you don't play the gig. There's a reason for this - he will come to a gig and we've added a couple of songs that he doesn't know. Or at least he doesn't know how we're playing them. If he's way off where he's supposed to be it can really cause problems for the lead vocalist and throw him off. That just doesn't work. We're better off without him than having him make us sound like crap.

We basically just said, hey, you're an awesome guitarist, but it just seems like you have an awful lot on your plate right now, and we really need someone who can dedicate more time to the band. So we asked him to step back for awhile. If he finds that he has more time available down the road we would love to see him come back (and we would) but right now he's holding us back. What is not being said is that we will find a replacement, and when that happens the door will most likely be closed. But he's been around and he knows that without it being said.

The thing is, he also knows he doesn't have the time to really be committed to the band, but he loves playing with us. So it didn't come as any shock to him, but we know he's disappointed. But you have to consider the others in the band as well. Cutting him will no doubt hurt his feelings, but keeping him will cause frustration for everyone else. And you don't want to risk having another "core" member quit because they're frustrated.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    Me and my friends are in a band, we have been for some time.

As we reached the end of compulsary education one of my best all time freinds has gone to college. Its tricky now because he cant do many practices
    Alex
    Tell him just that , the band needs a full-time guitarist............you guys are friends and he should understand that the rerst of you want to continue on with the band as a project .

That doesnt mean he cant be friends or come over to jam when hes home for break or even fill in on a song or 2 as a special guest during one of the bands gigs.

I think all will be fine if its discussed with him up front first before he finds out on his own you guys found a new guitar player.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

i had a similar thing with a bass player in a band .In the end he understood we just need to move forward just like you need to in any career

imo , you will find your self in these situations again, so get used to being upfront and honest, it saves a lot of time

User Info Menu

howd it go man?
    SJC Custom Drums 20x20, 12x8, 16x16, 50% offset baltimore lugs
    DW Knurled Brass Snare 14x6.5
    DW 8000 Double Pedal
    Zildjian 14.25" K Custom Hybrid Hats, Z Custom Ride
    Istanbul Xist 16 and 18" Crash's
    Zildjian Super 5A Sticks

User Info Menu

A band doesn't just play music together. They're deeper problems here then the guitar player. The advice you've gotten here is good, you doing it alone isn't. My opinion comes from experience.

User Info Menu

I think that you all should sit down and be honest and tell him how you guys feel. If it is a BAND majority decision, then it is unfair that you should be the only one that breaks the news on how the BAND feels about the situation. Besides, you have the most to lose if it goes south. I think your bandmates are copping out in their responsibilities. Tell then that they have to be there also. It's a group decision.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash