Thread: How Bad Will........

User Info Menu

Default How Bad Will........

Hello,

My band just got a new jam room, very nice, spacious room, it used to be an old cold storage room, my question is, there is no heat in this room, feels like it stays consistent at about 50-60 degrees(maybe not quite that cold) will this hurt my drums? Should I put a blanket over the kit when I am gone? Any other suggestions on what to do to keep my kit from any harm would be very appreciated.

User Info Menu

shouldn't hurt your tubs....
    you may notice flucuations in the tuning though....maybe...
    can never hurt to cover em....to keep the dust off

User Info Menu

Cool How Bad Will...

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Hello,

My band just got a new jam room, very nice, spacious room, it used to be an old cold storage room, my question is, there is no heat in this room, feels like it stays consistent at about 50-60 degrees(maybe not quite that cold) will this hurt my drums? Should I put a blanket over the kit when I am gone? Any other suggestions on what to do to keep my kit from any harm would be very appreciated.

Steady temperatures shouldn't mess up your drums; the blanket would probably keep the dust off. I'd be more concerned about excessive moisture (that'd warp your shells, of course) or sudden temperature extremes.

Also, make sure your locks work...of course if it's a former cold-storage room, it may still have some serious locks (not sure if it previously held furs, food or something equally valuable)...

Sounds like you and your buddies have a cool set-up in more ways than one (sorry, couldn't resist!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

my joints start to hurt when it gets cold...not sure if that's just me though...don't think the cold will hurt them...like gmbydmit said, it'll probably change the tuning...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I'm not so sure it will even effect the tuning, I'm in Southern Ontario Canada and have been in a lot of garage bands where the drums have stayed in garages on some very cold nights and then had the garage heated up with wood stoves or space heaters for practice. I've never experienced a noticeable tuning difference. You should be fine.

User Info Menu

My band plays in a finished room of a large storage building. There is no heat except a portable heater. This is in Colorado, so the winters do get cold. In over 25 years of play there, I have not had a single problem with any drums sets I have owned( about 5 ). A lot of the time during the winter, the room will start out below freezing or even worse, below zero Usually after practice the room is a nice 60 degrees.

When it is real cold, the tuning is affected somewhat on both the drum heads and cymbals. The heads seem to be flatten and do not resonate as much. Though the cymbals seem to be bright. Of course this is just my $0.02

Keith

User Info Menu

Personally, I cringe when I hear of people keeping any wooden musical instrument in a non-conditioned space. While some climates are dry in winter, cold air still holds more moisture than warm air. Maple is one of the more volatile woods and will expand/contract quite a bit with fluxuations in moisture. Mahogany is even more volatile. Whether you're talking about a grand piano or a fence, fluxuations in heat and moisture are the enemies of wood.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks for all your advise, it feels very dry, in fact we all commented on how dry it was in there, and the temp seems to stay pretty much the same, my drums are made of birch, how is that going to do? again thanks for all the advise, sounds like they will be fine.

User Info Menu

This might be some help. There's a chart that shows the comarative characteristics of hardwoods. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it. Looks like birch is pretty volatile (i.e. "low dimensional stability") from what this article says.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/birch_yellow.htm