Thread: Bass sound on Tumba

User Info Menu

Default Bass sound on Tumba

Ok.. I don't wan to sound like some of the crazies on Expert Village on You Tube, but..

Last night I was playing congas with just a guitarist and he wanted a lot of deep bass. When I strike the Tumba with a Bass hit (flat hand) the Mic really picks up the striking sound (when my hand makes contact with the skin). So, I put a cloth over it and it gave me a really nice deep soft bass sound, and a "wood" sound when I hit the edge (with the cloth on the edge too). I also played the Quinto, standard.

But..it did sound good, though.

What do you think?
    Last edited by jdl1881; 10-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass sound on Tumba

Are you're congas on stands or flat on the floor? Old school players would lift the tumba with their feet to get the nice bass sound. If you don't have them on stands, it might help you to get a deeper bass note. You might also consider putting a mic underneath the tumba to catch the bass, like a kick drum mic.

As far as the cloth goes, I do that all the time to practice. It deadens the sound, and probably isn't the best sound live as the head doesn't get to vibrate as it should.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Are you're congas on stands or flat on the floor? Old school players would lift the tumba with their feet to get the nice bass sound. If you don't have them on stands, it might help you to get a deeper bass note. You might also consider putting a mic underneath the tumba to catch the bass, like a kick drum mic.

As far as the cloth goes, I do that all the time to practice. It deadens the sound, and probably isn't the best sound live as the head doesn't get to vibrate as it should.
    Gretsch - yes, I have them on stands.. the mic underneath is a good idea. Basically I am trying to get almost a cajon bass sound .. only for certain songs though... I could use the cajon, just don't want to add anymore to my setup as I already have too much stuff and no more room. I'll try the mic underneath.. thanks!

User Info Menu

jdl1881, I under mic a lot-particularly in situations where there is little or no bass in the musical content. In the past I had made caps of garment leather that fit tightly over the tumba and conga to act as mutes and lower the timbre of the drum; but like leedy said--this will definitely mute the drums. Whatever works enjoy

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bass sound on Tumba

jdl, are you able to take the congas off the stands and play them seated? Sounds like the mic is pickin' up too much; try lifting them up off the floor, either with your feet or with little rubber feet (LP makes them and I use them on my congas at church)...it'll lower the sound a bit without muffling them too much.

what you're playin' is essentially a "tumbao" beat, and as leedy says, it's important that the palm and the heel of your hand do the work...

I love jammin' to a solo guitar or a piano that way...it gives ya a chance to show your best stuff against a minimal background!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    jdl, are you able to take the congas off the stands and play them seated? Sounds like the mic is pickin' up too much; try lifting them up off the floor, either with your feet or with little rubber feet (LP makes them and I use them on my congas at church)...it'll lower the sound a bit without muffling them too much.

what you're playin' is essentially a "tumbao" beat, and as leedy says, it's important that the palm and the heel of your hand do the work...

I love jammin' to a solo guitar or a piano that way...it gives ya a chance to show your best stuff against a minimal background!
    The gain is up pretty high on the mic, and that is picking up the "attack"sound too much. I will try turning it down and maybe moving the mic farther away. Also .. hitting with just he fat part of my palm does seem to help too.

Thanks!