Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Hammered Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Hand Hammered Cymbals

Do you guys like them? Although I've had non HH that still sound great, I've had great luck with the HH sounding the best.

User Info Menu

hmm...i've nevr been able to afford any more than my sabian b8 hats

User Info Menu

utopia how are those b8 hats i was thinking of buying a pair but havent had the time to try them out
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

for the price they r really good....b8 is like the lowest sabian line but they r actually pretty good....i would deffinately get them if i were you....unless u have a gagillian dollars then i'de go with like the 14" sabian evolution hats....but they r really expensive...and the b8s r good...so....go with the b8s

User Info Menu

thanks i have sabian b8 ride and i found it to sound really good for the price i got it so i probably will get the hats too

User Info Menu

groooooovy

User Info Menu

Yea b8's are awesome for there price. I got my thin crash, splash, medium crash ride, and hi hats for only £160. How good is that!

User Info Menu

and how much would that be in dollars?

User Info Menu

like about 120 i think....heck i dunno...

User Info Menu

how much are the hh range?whats the cheapest type?

User Info Menu

go to www.interstatemusic.com....they usually have the cheepest stuff that is still good....they carry sabian b8s

User Info Menu

cool thanks ill check it out

User Info Menu

If you like Paiste, check out the Alpha series. They are cast bronze, then hammered. Price is pretty good (a little more than the B8s) and the sound is incredible!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool cymbal chat

stay away from the elcheapo stuff I would rather have a good set of pans
    and a good crash than to fool with cymbals that sound like your beating a
    peace of tin. if you keep your eyes open and look around you can pick up some deals on good used stuff you don't have to buy every thing all at one
    time.

User Info Menu

sabian b8`s are outstanding for the money .i`ve got the hats and the 16" crash and the 20" ride ...the ride is a little umm ...ringy but other than that i have no complaints....and to be blunt they f ing rock !!

User Info Menu

i dont find b8's to be that great plus u can get a high end sabian for only a fraction more.

consider this at a music store up here in canada (pretty much any music store) u can get a sabian b8 16' medium crash for about 95 bucks, or you can get a fourteen inch AAXplosion crash (top of the line sabian other than hand hammered) for only 125 bucks, or a Xs Sabian 16 inch crash (b20 bronze not b8 bronze) for only about 105 or so.

In my opinion i would buy a b8 splash or crash-ride or cymbals that i dont use very often. But with my hats, crash and ride i would definately not go cheap. Considering the difference between a good cymbal and a great cymbal is only at maximum about 40 bucks.

User Info Menu

i`d have the b8`s over the xs range anyday .....and if you want a GOOD QUALITY sabin 16" crash it`s gonna cost you a LOT more than 125 bucks ...more like 250 bucks !(u.s. I don`t know how canadian differs) also the aax isn`t top of the line by any means more mid range !!.check out the paragon range.you looking at $2200 u.s. for a set of those !!

User Info Menu

well i wasnt including neil peart paragons! i mean thats a signature set but signature sets aside. The hand hammered (HHX also) are the only series' that rank above AAX, i also know of dozens of professional drummers who use AAX cymbals (Mike Portnoy -- Dream Theater, Tony Thanxton - Motion City Soundtrack, Daniel Adair -- Nickelback, , Tyler Stewart - Barenaked Ladies etc.) and i only know of one who uses a B8 (Carmine Appice) and thats a splash.

Im not saying that we're professionals and that we need to spend $2200 on cymbals especially if american prices are so different; however up in canada there isnt too much difference and if u need can't find good prices in america i suggest amzon.com it's safe and its much cheaper than $250 bout $130 for a 14 inch AAXplosion crash and the top ride cymbals top out at about 250-300, the crashes are much cheaper than that. Also the advantage of americans using amazon is that you'll receive free shipping plus no customs.

User Info Menu

i`m in the UK so i get pretty good deals on cymbals here cos they are made in europe (well most of `em .Germany,Switzerland etc) but there`s still a 30 quid margin between the b8`s and the AAX range .I guess it depends how much money you have as to wether 30 quid is a big difference .....it is to me !!!

dave

User Info Menu

I have B8 hi hats, there pretty good, but i want to get some new beat hi hats used because they sound awesome, and you can get them cheap off of Ebay!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    30 quid
    Is that anything like a "gagillion"?

User Info Menu

Default Hand Hammered Cymbals

OLa * I USE them I Love them They are FANTSTIC*

User Info Menu

I have a set of B8s that I'm replacing as I can afford to. My first buy was a Sabian HH 20" Classic Ride (bought used). The B8s are OK especially for the price, but the sound of the HH is much more what I want out of my cymbal sound. I want a darker more classic sound especially from my ride, the HH gives me that. The B8s are just too bright sounding for what I'm going for. I don't regret my purchase of B8s, and I'm keeping them as a back up, or if I need to set up a practice set, etc, but it isn't the sound I want for my primary cymbals.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

There is absoulutly nothing wrong with B8s in the market they are intended for. They meet the need for entry level cymbals. but that is all they are sheet bronze cymbals. Church Drummer you are taking the right approach and upgrading one at a time as you can afford it. Once you have really nice cymbals dont ever sell them they will last forever if you take care of them and don't bash the heck out of them. it is a life time investment. What else can you purchase in life that will last a lifetime if you wanted them too!

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with hand hammered. Just knowing that there's an experienced, master crafter working behind a piece of metal rather than a machine and making sure that the sound is flawless for me makes me feel confident about their performance.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy