Thread: Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Drumsticks

heavy or light ? which do you prefer and why ? i personally prefer heavy ones cause the give a better grip

User Info Menu

Nah i like light ones cos they are eaysyer to handle.

User Info Menu

I used to play the various Vic Firth Rock series for over 15 years, but I have not switched over to Ahead Lars Urlich. Before Vic Firth, I played ProMark. The Aheads are a bit heavier in weight, but slightly thinner in diameter and have a long tapper. The Aheads also feel more ballanced and pitch match. Even sticks between different pairs, they feel and sound the same. With the Vic Firth, stick would often sound and feel very different between pairs. My only regret with the Ahead stick is not switching sooner.

Keith

User Info Menu

I haven't tried Ahead sticks yet, is it true they damage your cymbals? Recently I tried a pair of sticks called Rimshots which were thinner sticks then I was used to and were hickory. I'm back to using Vater Concert sticks which are Maple and are a bit thicker. Is it just me or does a brand new set of sticks seem bouncier and lighter when you play with them?

User Info Menu

pro mark 5A oak. i played hickory 747s for a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    I haven't tried Ahead sticks yet, is it true they damage your cymbals?
    Nope, they have a hard protective cover. Once the cover wares out, it need to be replaced or the bare aluminum of the shaft can hurt the cymbals. A pair of the sleeves costs about $4. Still on the current set with over ten 2.5 hours playing sessions, but they are getting ready to be replaced. Normally I would have broken about 5 to 6 pairs of Vic Firth sticks.

Keith

User Info Menu

I use the Ahead Joey Jordison model drumsticks.If I use any other kind of sticks I use 7A.I prefer a Lighter stick because i'm not that big of a person.I am 5'6 and around 95lbs.I can use a heavier stick,But I'm not as fast with them...I may be getting endorsed by Los Cabos Drumsticks.I will be playing their Maple 7A's...

User Info Menu

pro mark natural 747 rock nylon tip. american hickory.
    longest lasting sticks ive ever used.
    very very hard hitter..
    the millennium 2 747 rock are good but nothing like the naturals..
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

I either roll with a Vic Firth all american 5A or a ludwig 5B, sometimes 2B if i feel in a really heavy mood

My drum instructor is suggesting a Vic Firth Sk something, he says its a really fat medium weight stick that takes a beating, for drumline next year

User Info Menu

Whatever 7AN is out there. Have tended towards Pro-mark lately, they seem to last longer than the Vic Firth ones I buy. I have a pair of Ahead 5As, but they feel to heavy and tedious now.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Belive it or not, when i'm practicing alone, i use pipe drum sticks! The heaviest i could find! I'd tell you the name but the labels are worn away. When Im playing with people tho i use tiny little jazz sticks, llightest things ive ever used.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Cool Drumsticks

Great idea, Daemon...builds up your arms during practice, then when you're playin' for the crowd, you also work your dynamics!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

smart

just as baseball players use weights on there bats b4 they step up to the plate
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Red face What I use

:icon_I like to use Pro Marks 747, but I am thinking about switching to Zildjian's John otto signature because they are a tid-bit larger in diameter 747=.551 John otto=.560

User Info Menu

I never thought I'd see the day when drummers knew the "exact" diameter of the sticks they played. (Not an insult cdog, just an observation).

User Info Menu

drummers are hardcore now a days its true

but i prefer light Vater 5B's

luv em

and i broke a pair the other day :(
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

i always practice on my pad with a pair of Vic firth Ralph Hardimon sig
    its .710 thick so it builds up your chops mad fast

on a drumset i play with 5A's im gonna start buying 5B's though, i like bigger sticks, they make you work harder and play louder
    "Bow Down To The Almighty Bunghole!"