Thread: What Would You Do????

User Info Menu

Default What Would You Do????

Yo Bongoceros/congueros,
    I Don't Know If You Guys Remember That I Have Mentioned Previously About Getting A Set Of Congas As A Starter. I Have A Dilemma Here, I Have 2 Sets Of Solid Mahogany Jcr With 2 Different Dims On Hembras And Machos. I Thinking Of Selling 1 Set In Order To Buy The Congas But I Don't Know Which One To Keep. To Me They Both Are Terrific Bongos And Would Hate To Get Rid Of Any One Of Them Or Should You Save $$$ And Keep The Bongos If You Were In My Situation? It Seems The Conga Prices Are Going Down Or Is It Me?? I've Been Looking At Sets Of Lp Patatos With Prices Ranging From $250.00 Through Almost $600.00. Should I Try To Save $$$ To Get A Set Later Or Should I Get Rid Of A Set Of Bongos??? Seems When A Set Of Congas Come Up There Is No $$$.........damn, Don't Know What To Do. Here's My Set Of Jcrs Which I've Shown Already. Maybe I Should Wait For My Christmas Bonus?
    Rgds (dazed & Confused)
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Would You Do????

Tough call gaidan. Are you using both sets of bongos regularly? JCR bongos are a rare catch, but if you're anything like me, the budget doesn't really allow for a collection. If it were ME, I would sell one of the bongos or try to trade for a set of congas. Question is, is it worth it to have 1 set of bongos just sitting around collecting dust when you need a good set of congas?

User Info Menu

Points well taken.........tks again
    Giadan

User Info Menu

Gretschhead and leedy2 both offer good sound advice. From what I see, leedy2 is definitely more of the collector than Gretschhead. I have seen the pictures of leedy2's incredible collection. I have found myself on a roller coaster ride throughout the years. There were times when I had accumilated a very nice collection of latin percussion and one day realized that I needed to decide if I wanted to be a collector or a player. But it can also be that you can be a collector and a player at the same time as well. Having said all of that, I myself decided I wanted to be a player 1st, and a collector 2nd. So today, I have very few drums but I play a lot more and I can Bond with all of my drums this way. I have parted company with a lot of top grade drums and when I look back, I might only regret parting with 20% of them. If I were you, I would take the time to play them both extensively for a while, then decide which one you want to keep. I don't think you will regret the move because you will still have the one set, and someone else will be able to enjoy the other set. The Congas can wait a little while longer.

Again, Gretschhead and leedy2 have given you good sound advice .

User Info Menu

giadan, IMHO, whether you keep a set of the bongos depends entirely on your financial situation. Prices are going to be down on most gear right now, because many people are having to sell gear to pay the bills, so they'll sell cheaper to get it sold. That drives down the prices on all gear. If you can keep both sets of bongos, and sell them later, you'll do better in the long run. It really comes down to whether your bank account will allow that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What Would You Do????

Tough call indeed, bro'...but a lot of it may also depend on how much gigging you do, if you're doing any gigging at all. I have two pair of bongos and five congas, but I leave one pair of bongos and three congas at church since that's my steadiest gig. The other bongos and congas stay at home so I can keep my chops up and enable me to have 'em ready should I want to jam with my buddies...otherwise my church drums would be moved around much more than they need to!

If you need congas, get the best ones you can afford (yeah, man, that's easy to say). Otherwise I'd go with PB and try to keep both the bongos. Outside of us serious congueros y bongoseros, people aren't buyin' hand drums right now. If you were to sell one of the bongos right now, you might not get the price ya want, especially for the JDRs. On the other hand, keep your eyes and ears open, and your hands ready to play, and you might score a good deal...

Buena suerte, hermano!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The only gig I do is by myself and sometimes my kids and the wife. One grabs the maracas the other one the campana the other one grabs the clave and we go along with the classic salsa and we just have fun. I also play to the music of a Christian salsa group called "Orquesta Querubin" check it out when you get a chance.
    Lord bless

User Info Menu

I agree with keeping them. Just like Leedy said , they arent made any more so if you do sell them you wont be able to go back alater nd buy another set from your local store .

Theyre bought and paid for and youre using them to have fun .I say wait , save some $ and hope for the X-mas bonus , then buy what you want .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey