Thread: My thoughts on drum tuning

User Info Menu

Default My thoughts on drum tuning

Everyone has their own "tastes" when it comes to the sound of their own drums, but in my own humble opinion,I think what's most overlooked is the what "sounds" your own drums actually make. When i was in the early stages of learning how to play the drums,(I'm talking the really dark ages here, as in the late 60's. early 70's), the sound that I tried so hard to get was the one that was ever present in the recordings of the day. A very dry, almost pinched, very muffled sound. All kinds of things were tried to deaden the sound. Coated double ply heads(Remo emps). No reso heads,on any drum but the snare, towels, kotex,you name it, it was tried.(remember, this was way before the days of moongel,maybe even before man had walked on the moon.) All this was done to get the drums sounding just like they sound on the recordings of the day. Then it happened.......my "burning bush", so to speak, my awakening. I was at a local concert,Glenn Millers band, as a matter of fact, an I found the sound that I had been forever searching for. After the show, I went to speak to the drummer, and hoped to get a few suggestions. To my surprise, the man was very gracious and friendly, and even let me get behind his kit. WOW, was I surprised.Shocked,even. The sound from BEHIND the kit was something that I would have never expected. Very open, LOTS of resonance, with a lot of projection and carry. It didn't take me long to do a complete 360 on how I tuned my drums from then on. I guess my whole point is that you have to really hear what your drums are saying,not only to you, but to everyone else. Open the ears and dont be afraid to try different things. Get out there and hear what you really sound like. You really might be surprised at what you sound like. All you have to remember is that however you tune, nothing what so ever is wrong if its right for you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My thoughts on drum tuning

Great insights veafer! How freeing it must have been to realize you didn't have to fit in someone else's box.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

So true. Most people get their desired drum sounds off of recordings. It's impossible to get that processed sound, without using the tools the producer uses! Drums need resonance and the proper pitch. After that, in a true studio, you can tweak it as you like.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

dang that was a good read, i felt like i was stepping into the past ive never seen a bit. overtones are our friends, we just have to get the batter's tones to go with the reso's tones. that was really cool that the drummer let you check his kit out, dont know a lotta guys like that nowadays
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    dang that was a good read, i felt like i was stepping into the past ive never seen a bit. overtones are our friends, we just have to get the batter's tones to go with the reso's tones. that was really cool that the drummer let you check his kit out, dont know a lotta guys like that nowadays
    Overtones arent good, but resonance is. They are different.

User Info Menu

^^
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

veafer:

Got to give you an aman on that!
    Projection is what the instrument is about.
    Whats a bell worth if it don't ring?

The only time they need be deadened is if you have to play for a very quite situation your playing in, but you still need that ring that makes them drums, a breathing instrument.

I know a couple so called drummers that I've done a quick tune on their drums ripped the deadeners off and they loved the sound then turn around the next week and they have deadened them again and sound like crap again.

Any thing can be changed except *ignorance*, it has to want to change, but 9 out 10 times it just won't, because it's to easy to stay stuck in the mud...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

Larrysperf Guest

This post goes up with the best, as this is what I have always said. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    ^^

So whats so funny?

User Info Menu

I remember my first time letting someone else play my kit on-stage while I checked it out from the audience-point-of-view. It was completely different, and sounded way BETTER than from behind!

User Info Menu

Great thread. I have never really liked the sound from my kit. I bought my 1st set of now head the other day and still am not happy with the tone. Maybe my idea of proper tuning is thrown off by playing old beat up heads for a year. Although the goal is to find "your own" sound", I wonder if it helps to have it tuned by someone else to give some kind of reference point and to point out some common pitfalls of tuning.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the kind responses folks.........the replys were all great....and vista?.....i would not hesitate to have anyone help me dial in my tuning....it may be what ya want, or not......but you wont never know till ya do. I've found out there aint no dawg to old to learn any lesson......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    I remember my first time letting someone else play my kit on-stage while I checked it out from the audience-point-of-view. It was completely different, and sounded way BETTER than from behind!
    its always going to sound different in every room/venue's pitched stightly higher or lower and the actual tone changes also

when i first started getting serious i was lucky enough to have a girl friend that played drums and our own sound tech

the gf would help me setup the kit and tune it. then she would play it for me

i would go to the front of house and mix my own drums truly the best way to make sure you sound your best

damit i miss the good old days, oh to be young again

User Info Menu

as far as tuning goes iv done it the same way since my first kit
    start with the kick and the snare ...tune them till they sound nice together

toms a pritty straight forward after that, iv been tuning to here come the bride

depending on if you have fast toms or rock sizes depends on if i will have the resonate heads a higher pitch or the same

its taken almost a year to get used to a kit that doesn't go out of tune in one song, this helps