Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any good drummers left?

User Info Menu

Default Are there any good drummers left?

What is going on in Radio?

Are there any good drummers left?

I mean, Travis Barker is good, but I'm not into punk pop. What happened to the old days? Is there anything that resembles fresh rock anymore with TALENT?

~ Ready to bang my head against a wall and shoot my radio!

User Info Menu

There are some great drummers out there, but unlike the old days when you had guys like Alan White with Yes, Aynsley Dunbar with UFO, and of course Neil Peart with Rush, there aren't too many great bands and even fewer great songs to go along with them. How bad has it gotten? Any minute someone will jump in here and give you Jeremy Hummel and Breaking Benjamin as an example of great new rock.

User Info Menu

check some incubus. or tool.

User Info Menu

The music 'industry' has fragmented and diversified. There are so many genres, subgenres and underground movements now that are catered for by their own media outlets (internet being a strong force). There's absolutely no point listening to the radio (which is more interested in advertising space than music anyway). Popular music is about the dumbest it's ever been, catering to the absolute lowest common denominator.

If you want to hear some interesting drumming, there's a stack of people doing insanely exciting things: from Jo Jo Mayer playing 'reverse engineered' techno on an acoustic kit with Nerve, to Derek Roddy playing gatling gun percussive mayhem with a real primal sense of creativity with Nile, to Bill Stewart's freaked out jazz work, let alone Terry Bozzio's orchestral excursions. That's just a start - and these guys are expanding upon the boundaries that have already been established by the old guard of Peart and company.

There's no need to live in the past - but you do have to make an effort to find good music now.

It's obviously worth it.

PS - I always liked Bill Bruford better than Alan White.

User Info Menu

ya what he said
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Any minute someone will jump in here and give you Jeremy Hummel and Breaking Benjamin as an example of great new rock.
    Lol, wonder who that is?

But i do agree, a lot of the drumming is getting terrible, for rock anymore all you have to do is be able to stomp 150 times in a minute (bass drum) and metal bands would love you

Lately, no drummers are making names for themselfs, their just going with the crowd, what happened to the unique people that made a new style, like john bohnam and his "I AM THOR KING OF THUNDER" drumming style

Or neil perts, play half a solo, with a catchy tune on a zylophone then rock you with a 5 minuite rapid fire solo

User Info Menu

The facts are that a lot of musicians have become really lazy. I think its this whole rise of Indie music. Simple riffs, simple beats and no-one has bothered to progress to trying to master their instrument.

Also, Ch33zz, Metal isn't rock. I gather this thread is about Popular Music (stuff thats on the radio) and not about Metal. Oh, and it'd probably be more like 150bpm 16ths, so like stomping 600 times in a minute =D

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Well, still, even if metal isnt popular rock thats all of the countdowns, you still must agree

Drummers like tommy lee and vinnie paul arnt around much anymore, lately the hard rock has been hit your bass drum, and you got the job

And i dunno much about the HPM i just saw somewhere a video saying something like a certan brand of electric set cant clock over 150 BPM, and a guy was prooving it wrong or something

User Info Menu

Dreamtheater!
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Depends on what you classify as hard rock really...

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I grew up in the 60's in S. California. My father worked in the studios in hollywood so I had a chance to meet drummers like buddy rich, gene krupa, ed shaugnessy, etc. Later while stationed in Berlin in the army I saw billy cobham in concert several time and even saw the great John Bonham, Other than Neal Peart, I'm really not too impressed with most of the so called "rock" drummers of today. Maybe it's my jazz upbringing. I prefer to hear a drummer who can make his drums "talk". It also seems like they all copying eachothers style. It may not be the drummers choice. Most likely the producer has something to do with it.

User Info Menu

Good music has never been about teqnique. It has always been about passion and power. Punk is proof of this.

(Im ready to get shot dow in flames now lol)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    Dreamtheater!
    Have to agree with. Great band

Keith

User Info Menu

I have to respectfully disagree with you vinnysimmo. I think that good music is founded on technique.

There's only two drummers in punk that I've actually heard of, Tre Cool and Travis Barker. I'm sorry to say it, but they really aren't that great. Punk is all about speed, and nothing technical (that i've ever heard).

When you compare technical proficiency between drummers like Tre Cool and say Tomas Haake (Meshuggah), Haake makes Tre look like he's only just got his first kit. The amount of technique Haake employs is second to none, cross-rhythm, syncopation, odd use of 4/4, use of odd time signatures.

What's Tre Cool got? Fast Basic 4/4 beats and 16th note fills.

I'll give you that music has to be played with conviction and drive, and not just technique. But I don't think some music bridges into being "good" music just because it's played with passion.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Two words, Lynyrd Skynyrd. They keep going through tragety and are kicking it strong great drumming to. Southern rock save us from the emos!(and punks)

User Info Menu

I don't think it's an either or thing. Some very simplistic stuff, like AC/DC, can be pretty darn musical, while some of the most amazing technicians, like Yngwie Malseen, can come off as souless shredders. My ideal is where the two meet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    There are some great drummers out there, but unlike the old days when you had guys like Alan White with Yes, Aynsley Dunbar with UFO, and of course Neil Peart with Rush, there aren't too many great bands and even fewer great songs to go along with them. How bad has it gotten? Any minute someone will jump in here and give you Jeremy Hummel and Breaking Benjamin as an example of great new rock.

that'd be me!!! yes. Jeremy hummel is one, Chad Szeliga another, and the guy from Coheed and Cambria.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Thanx for the pointers. I spent alittle time on MYSPACE, and I checked out Secret Machines, Patrick Carney, & Mark Maigaard. They were pretty decent. I REALLY liked SLIPSTREAM. http://www.myspace.com/theslipstream

That's almost EXACTLY what I was looking for. A little bit of the heavy but mixed with a commercial sound so it's not over powering. Not all of one thing or the other. (I'm so tired of punk)

User Info Menu

That isnt what were talking about

Their not making a name for themselfs as being a great new energy, their following whats popular and just putting a basic beat on it

Were talking about people who can put their own touch on something and safely say they created it, like neil peart and his little zylophone/drumset solos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13drummer
    that'd be me!!! yes. Jeremy hummel is one...
    Can we please get a smiley blowing his brains out now?!

User Info Menu

I would suggest these...
    Queens of the Stone Age.........Joey Castillo (used to be Dave Grohl but he has to be foolish and play guitar)
    Audioslave......Brad Wilk
    Black KEys......Patrick Carney
    Audioslave........Carla Azar
    ummm Me hahaha..
    if you like some funk Chad Smith of RHCP
    whoever fuel's drummer is
    annnd i knew i'd come back to him.. Dave Grohl is probably my favorite drummer, but he playing damn guuitar with the foo fighters. I think he should go back to QOTSA and play drums.

User Info Menu

Music is all an opinionated thing.
    For example (and this is also a reference to my post in somewhere else)
    My friend Travis said that Neil Peart sucked, becuz he didn't hammer on the bass drum all of the time!

While we here at drumchat know this to be false in the first degree, we can't make him say, "Oh okay, Neil Peart is the best drummer who ever lived." Becuz its his opinion.
    To the sub-groups of rock, its the same way.
    One will aways say its better than the others because of this, and the other will defend itself by saying that the first group isn't near as technical, popular, or hard as it.

You get what I saying?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

hahaha, Candlelight chaos, I LOVE that e-mail of Strong Bad's!!! That's too funny. (Don't forget Ali and Ali's sis-ter.) hahaha!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Yeah, Strong Bad is great!
    My lead guitarist showed me that after playing four thousand times on Guitar Hero 2.
    I laughed so hard I thought I couldn't play drums...no wait. I lied. lol

but I did laugh really hard though....
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I heard the drummer to SLIPSTREAM's drum solo and it's great! The band only let's you hear a short clip of it on their website here http://www.slipstreammusic.com

But I found the full version here http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.as...&recordid=3876