Thread: college

User Info Menu

Default college

im trying out for berklee college of music next year...

if you had till january to be ready for an audition, how would you get ready?? they base your entry on your 15 minute audition...

i know to be myself, relax, do my best.. what im asking is how would you practice... would you play with a song or would you free style solo it..

User Info Menu

Default Re: college

I think they have specific requirements of what they want you to play. If there is a section where you can do whatever you want, I would definitely not play to music.

User Info Menu

im practicing all the things im interested in and feel are my strengths... sometimes its hard to narrow it down and really develop something... through preparing for this ive started to really discover many new things... its very exciting..

User Info Menu

I wouldn't do an improvised solo for a college audition, too risky.

I'd write something that showcases a few different styles and blend them together with improvised elements.

Berklee is real big into being diverse with your playing and the diversity of the groups that you played with in high school.

With that being said I'd think REAL hard if you actually want to be a music major. I auditioned at Berklee, got accepted and didn't go. While I was in Boston I also looked at Boston University for engineering. I ended up going to BU and got a degree in mechanical engineering. When I lived there I lived with and knew a bunch of people who went to Berklee. I played music just as much as they did and grew as a drummer as much they did. The difference is I now have an awesome job, still play drums, and still lead a fulfilling musical life. All of them on the other hand have tons of school debt, work dead end jobs or are going back to school to major in something that will actually land them a real job. The only ones who had employment prospects are those who went into teaching, the rest do not work in the music industry outside of their independent bands(especially the drum set performance majors.) None of them regret going to Berklee but they realize that it wasn't a practical decision. I don't mean to rain on your parade, that's just my personal experience. I'm 25 btw, so this is all pretty recent.

Also, I can elaborate on my audition if you want...
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 10-14-2009 at 10:36 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks for the reply... made me think about it...

nice avatar by the way

my parade is still intact
    Last edited by ZACK B; 10-15-2009 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I successfully auditioned at Berklee a few years ago. Didn't attend.

Don't let yourself be thrown by who actually auditions you. I walked in and there was Kenwood Dennard and Casey Scheuerell. The first thing they asked for was the audio play along I would be performing to. They also asked for some rudiments and gave me a really easy chart to read. Then they asked me to play four bars of four different styles of music (jazz, bossa, metal, shuffle) with a four bar drum break setting up the next style in between each.

Don't worry about getting in, just make sure you are willing to live in debt. I know a guy who teaches there and so long as you have $$ to go they will take you, assuming that you at least know enough to keep from falling off the drum throne at your audition. Don't attend unless you get a scholarship out of the audition.

Good luck and plan ahead for traffic if you are auditioning in Boston.
    Yamaha Maple Custom 4-piece (Bebop)
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    Vic Firth sticks