Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illinois!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Illinois!

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    I live in Midlothian. Suburb of Chicago. Go to high school in Chicago Heights.
    I live in Northwest Indiana but work in Chicago Heights! Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Indiana drummers here....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gentleman_disaster View Post
    I live in Northwest Indiana but work in Chicago Heights! Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Indiana drummers here....
    Yeah they are probably out and about shooting their guns instead of playing drums.

That`s a damn fine moustache G D..is it a hit with the ladies.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced for lean View Post

That`s a damn fine moustache G D..is it a hit with the ladies.?
    Why thank you, sir. Ladies do love the handlebar

User Info Menu

From the Plainfield area. Do a lot of work in Naperville.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
    From the Plainfield area. Do a lot of work in Naperville.
    Ah...you're close to where I used to live a for a few years before coming to Las Vegas. I was in Shorewood, but left in 2000. I understand that the area has grown up a huge amount since I left...and the primary reason for my leaving was because it was far too rural for my citified taste!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

You would not recognize it today Rt 59 is now full 4-lane highway. Every store you can think of around now. Probably 15,000 new homes in Shorewood/Plainfield/Joliet from Rt 52 north to downtown Plainfield.

User Info Menu

Here's an older aerial image:

Here's a more recent one:

User Info Menu

Here's an older aerial image:

Here's a more recent one:
    I really enjoy these types of maps.

Very dramatic change. About how many years did that take?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You would not recognize it today Rt 59 is now full 4-lane highway. Every store you can think of around now. Probably 15,000 new homes in Shorewood/Plainfield/Joliet from Rt 52 north to downtown Plainfield.
    Wow, amazing maps. Thanks for the update...and you're right, I wouldn't recognize it!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    My birth 54 1/2 years ago. I was born in Evanston, Illinois.
    Hey pastor_bob...I know yours was an old post, but I know Evanston well. Born and raised in Morton Grove, and Evanston is home to alma mater, Northwestern University!

User Info Menu

Yes, they've been building like crazy up until '08? Now it seems to be picking back up a little. They're building a new Wallyworld SuperCenter near 75th and Rt.59 now.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I really enjoy these types of maps.

Very dramatic change. About how many years did that take?
    The maps didn't allow me to choose specific years so that swing was about 20 years but started a bit later than the year listed. The big boom was from late 90's (98-ish) to about 2007.

User Info Menu

The maps didn't allow me to choose specific years so that swing was about 20 years but started a bit later than the year listed. The big boom was from late 90's (98-ish) to about 2007.
    Thanks for the reply. That is astounding.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Originally from Alton IL, born and raised. I now reside in Granite City... about 17 miles southeast.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    Originally from Alton IL, born and raised. I now reside in Granite City... about 17 miles southeast.
    I lived near there for a while.

I was a sales manager for Best Buy. I was transferred there in the early 80's. As an opening/trainer/manager, I opened 7 stores in 6 months around the St Louis area back in the late 80's.

I actually lived in Bridgeton and my store was in Chesterfield.

I-270 was my best friend.

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Granite is just more convenient to where I work. I was driving 45 minutes to and from when I lived in Alton to Saint Louis city.. now I drive literally ten to fifteen minutes to work. It's nice. Granite doesn't have the greatest rep, but no town around here does.

And honestly... I love Saint Louis. I've lived in a few other places. Omaha NE (which I LOVED) and Miami FL (which I hated)... Then I ended up back here and well, I'm happy. It's a good city, contrary to popular belief.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Illinois!

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Yeah, The NOIS boys checking in.
    That would make an awesome band name (if someone hasn't already taken it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I lived near there for a while.

I was a sales manager for Best Buy. I was transferred there in the early 80's. As an opening/trainer/manager, I opened 7 stores in 6 months around the St Louis area back in the late 80's.

I actually lived in Bridgeton and my store was in Chesterfield.

I-270 was my best friend.

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Bish--small world after all! Did you ever check out the late and almost-great MARS Music near DePaul Hospital when you were in the area? Had to give the congas some serious test-drivin' back in the day!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I was born in Champagne, Illinois.

Lived there until I was 4 years old.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

Bish--small world after all! Did you ever check out the late and almost-great MARS Music near DePaul Hospital when you were in the area? Had to give the congas some serious test-drivin' back in the day!
    Actually no. I worked pretty much non-stop until the expansion was complete and then came back to the Quads.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Born in Chicago.