Thread: Anyone ever heard this?

User Info Menu

Angry Anyone ever heard this?

I have been rehearsing with a classic rock three piece for about two months. We have a practice space the size of a glorified closet with guitars, amps, pa gear, and of course...my drums. I am consistently being told that I am playing loud. Mind you I have never:

Broken a drumstick
    Broken or dented a drum head
    Broken or damaged a cymbal or any other drum hardware

Unless you play electric kits, drums just don't have a volume knob. In case you haven't gotten the jist of this thread yet...I'm getting a little P.O'd about this. I have tried to play with a lighter touch but changing my style like that effects my technique and while I'm not the best drummer by any means, I do pride myself on playing cleanly. By lightening up I am unable to do that to my satisfaction.

So my question is has anyone else here had a similar problem and if so, how was it ultimately resolved?

Thanks for the help.

GM206
    Last edited by Greenmonster206; 10-16-2009 at 03:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ever heard this?

It sounds to me that you like playing in the band with your bandmates - is that right? Maybe have a serious group meeting and let them know how you feel (if you haven't already done that). It's tough playing drums in a small place with a group..........I've been there. I guess one way would be to tone your drums down with a lot of muting........although that really sucks sometimes - or - do what Steve Smith....and I.......do - play with Tala Wands. Give it a try - you may like it. It feels good and you can whack (sorry - play) your drums harder but you get a less harsh sound in return.

Just some thoughts from an old fart..haha

Have fun....that's the main thing,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    I have been rehearsing with a classic rock three piece for about two months. We have a practice space the size of a glorified closet with guitars, amps, pa gear, and of my drums. I am consistently being told that I am playing loud. Mind you I have never:

Broken a drumstick
    Broken or dented a drum head
    Broken or damaged a cymbal or any other drum hardware

Unless you play electric kits, drums just don't have a volume knob. In case you haven't gotten the jist of this thread yet...I'm getting a little P.O'd about this. I have tried to play with a lighter touch but changing my style like that effects my technique and while I'm not the best drummer by any means, I do pride myself on playing cleanly. By lightening up I am unable to do that to my satisfaction.

So my question is has anyone else here had a similar problem and if so, how was it ultimately resolved?

Thanks for the help.

GM206
    Gary

User Info Menu

You should try practicing with a pair of the Promark Rods. Will give you a lighter touch. Sounds to me its just the size/acoustics of the jam space. Unfortunately you might have to change your playing while dealing with that small space.

*sorry INDiGLo, but commercial links are prohibited by Forum Rules. I gave you a picture instead, as a reference - PB*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R.I.P.
    1. Apollo in Natural Wood - 5 pc
    2. Ludwig Blue/Green Badge in Chrome over Maple - 7 pc
    3. Simmons SDS - 5 pc
    4. Tama Superstar Double Bass in Cherrywine Stain - 9 pc
    5. Pearl Export Double Bass in Wine Red - 9 pc
    6. Tama Rockstar Double Bass in Purple Wrap - 10 pc
    7. Mapex Orion Classic in Birdseye Maple with Gold Hardware - 6 pc
    8. DW Collectors in Red Sparkle Wrap with Gold Hardware - 8 pc
    9. Mapex Pro M in Purple Stain - 5 pc
    10. DDrum in Orange Vistalite - 4 pc
    11. Mapex Meridian in Satin Maple - 4 pc
    12. Mapex Pro M in Crimson Swirl - 5 pc
    13. Mapex Saturn in Wax Natural Maple - 6 pc
    14. PDP Concept Maple in Blue Sparkle - 7 pc
    15. Mapex Saturn in Purple Sparkle - 8 pc
    16. Mapex Saturn in Satin Mapa Burl - 8 pc
    17. Gretsch USA Custom in Savannah Sunset Duco - 9 pc
    18. DW Collectors in Broken Glass - 9 pc
    19. DW Collectors in Ruby Glass - 9 pc

Current Kit
    20. Ludwig Classic Maple in Vintage White Marine - 6 pc

On Order
    21. DW Collectors in Candy Blue Azure Burst Over Exotic Mapa Burl - 7 pc

User Info Menu

Yeah it's hard to deal with but work on it, it will make you a better drummer.
    Less arm more wrist...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

ahhhh man tell mw bout it. my bands former drummer stil hangs around and one day was like "if i have to play quieter, YOU defintly have to play quiet" i have a pretty average touch, and the fact hes my section leader at school 9only cuz hes older, hes not even commited, or that great, he cant play mallets or timpani) and hes has this weird notion that i have to clear all things musical with him... and its just a frusrtarting situation.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I can definitely relate. I was soundchecking before a show and I know the other bands' drummers, and they play way louder than me. We were trying to figure out the levels and the sound guy kept saying I was playing too loud. A year previous to that I was playing way louder at the same venue and it was fine. Some people (actually most) don't understand the fine relationship between actually being a hard hitter and just playing a loud instrument. I like the ideas suggested of using lightning rods or whatever. Definitely tell them how you feel as well. I'll back you up!

User Info Menu

you have never broken a drum stick or dented a head.....omg what is wrong with you man?

User Info Menu

Dampen down your drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you have never broken a drum stick or dented a head.....omg what is wrong with you man?
    It saves me money that way!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Dampen down your drums.

Uhhh...negative sir! Not to be a jerk but wouldn't that be a bit like me asking the guitarist to tune down his E string because the high pitch in the he plays solos hurts my ears? I don't think compromising the sound of my instrument is the answer but thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Greenmonster206; 10-16-2009 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I have been rehearsing with a classic rock three piece for about two months. We have a practice space the size of a glorified closet with guitars, amps, pa gear, and of course...my drums. I am consistently being told that I am playing loud.
    Hold your ground, Brother ! Rock n' Roll is not meant to be played softly. This ain't no bossa nova or dixie land jazz we're talking about. Just the fact that you guys are cramped in a tiny coat closet is reason enough to complain about your "working conditions". You guys have to find a rehearsal place where you can stretch out and feel comfortable enough to play your music. Good luck!!

User Info Menu

Angry Re: Anyone ever heard this?

If i get told im playing 2 loud and asked 2 turn down i just go and hit them louder..Drums are there to be hit and when you have an guitar player that loves the sound of nothing but his guitar....Play it loud play it proud..!!
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

I know what you mean my guitarist is always whinning about me being to loud and not being able to hear himself. I've come to the conclusion that guitarists are just to sensitive so I bought him a set of earplugs and told him if it's to loud your too old ....He hasn't complained since. It is very frustrating it's not our fault our instrument is wild beast just begging to be unleashed. If I were you I would just buy some moon Jels and give the Pro-Mark Hot Rod sticks a try and keep on keeping on .

User Info Menu

Uhhh...negative sir! Not to be a jerk but wouldn't that be a bit like me asking the guitarist to tune down his E string because the high pitch in the he plays solos hurts my ears? I don't think compromising the sound of my instrument is the answer but thanks anyway.
    Actually it would be more like asking him to put his amp on 6 instead of 10.

Its just practice. Who cares if your drums sound "pristine" its about learning the songs.

But if you want, you can keep your drums as loud as you want and maybe find yourself out of a band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStickz View Post
    ... I bought him a set of earplugs and told him if it's to loud your too old ...
    That's what I was going to say.

I've also played with guys that didn't have loud enough amps. When they complained I told them to keep their sissy speaker at home and bring a man amp to practice. In bands that were properly equipped, volume was never an issue. We didn't play at anywhere near full volume either.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

let drums be drums. its not a problem with your kit or your playing, its the environment. you need to control the environment and put up some soundproofing material.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Actually it would be more like asking him to put his amp on 6 instead of 10.

Its just practice. Who cares if your drums sound "pristine" its about learning the songs.

But if you want, you can keep your drums as loud as you want and maybe find yourself out of a band.

Point taken sir.

User Info Menu

If you have stick control you can control your volume. That said rock and roll is well, rock and roll. Whatever you play and however you play it, you must do it with conviction. If your conviction is louder than the room or your bandmates can handle then something will have to change somewhere.
    Last edited by danhits; 10-24-2009 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

bands complaining about noise of other members when they can play good is bogus in a lot of ways
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am not so sure if you are really playing loud just because volume depends on so many factors and some are subjective. One thing that my jazz drum instructor teaches me is how to regulate my volume. I'm trying my best but progress is very slow.