Thread: The No Interest Game?

User Info Menu

Default The No Interest Game?

do any of you ever use special cards to get 3 or 12 month no financing for items you dont have cash for at the time? say to pick up a deal that wont be there later but you need now? there's this sale for some drumheads at a site and i really need some, so would it be a good idea to get a card so i can get more time to pay it off?
    this was taken from the site i was looking at:

3 months
    *Same as Cash offer on approved ************ credit card purchases. No Finance Charges if purchase paid in full in 3 months.

12 months
    **Same as Cash offer on approved *********** credit card purchases of $199 or more. No Finance Charges if purchase paid in full in 12 months.

good or bad idea? (i do have the ability to pay within the time frame)
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 10-17-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Edited commercial information
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: The No Interest Game?

If you can DEFINITELY pay the purchase off within the promotional period, then sure. Sometimes you're even given access to special discounts and offers by being a cardmember of particular store. But if you can't pay it off during the promotional period then don't do it. The interest rates are typically in the 23% neighborhood and once the promotional period expires they will calculate the interest from the day of the purchase, NOT from the day the promotional period ended. So you will get banged with the years worth of interest in one shot.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

They are banking on people forgetting about it or not paying on time ,thats where they will be making out .

I say go for it even if you can pay cash ,why not ride it out on their money first .

I did it with some furniture a long time ago and about 6 years ago I bought my 4 wheeler the same way . It was 6 months free financing after that I believe it went up to 18 % interest .We paid it off after 5 months .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

i dont have a members card though. i wanted to do this so i could jump on a sale price, but even if they sent it to me now it would be over by the time it got here. oh well
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i dont have a members card though. i wanted to do this so i could jump on a sale price, but even if they sent it to me now it would be over by the time it got here. oh well
    If they do instant approvals, which most credit companies do nowadays, you'll be able to start using the account immediately. You might want to look into it if the sale is so good that it's got you thinking about opening an account.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    If they do instant approvals, which most credit companies do nowadays, you'll be able to start using the account immediately. You might want to look into it if the sale is so good that it's got you thinking about opening an account.
    Good idea.......you can always call up after you pay it off and cancel the account to keep your credit in good standing .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

regarding promotional deals that you get with the card, do you have to use that members card one of the plans they offer to get them, or can you just get it in a normal way without using their plans
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A good strategy is to always pay when you have the money. How badly do you need these?

User Info Menu

i got a new TD-12 set kept it 5 months sold it and cost me less than $100 for the 5 months use !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

We used the card from the same store Russ to get the band PA, and we've already paid it off. I just got my yamahas the same way, no interest for 12 mos. Got my son's Superstars the same way.

As DLD said, as long as you know you can pay it off it's a good deal!

BTW, if you call the store you are referring to, they can usually do the app over the phone and you can use the card right away!!!!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Good idea.......you can always call up after you pay it off and cancel the account to keep your credit in good standing .
    Closing the account will actually hurt your credit score. It's better to leave it open forever and never use it. Stupid, I know, but that's how that system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    regarding promotional deals that you get with the card, do you have to use that members card one of the plans they offer to get them, or can you just get it in a normal way without using their plans
    That really depends on the store. The advantages to store accounts vary greatly.

For example, I have a Banana Republic account (clothing store) and they'll do things like give me a 20% off coupon because I am a cardmember, but they'll do 25% if I use the card to make the purchase. I always use the card because 1) my discounts are greater and 2) I earn points toward future purchases. Then I go home and pay it off that same evening.

Another example would be my Newegg account (online computer store). They don't offer greater discounts but I know about sales before the general public does and when I make purchases with the card I'm given free priority processing, which basically guarantees same day shipping. I also have a lifetime of "no-interest for 12 months" deals. It applies to any purchase I make over $500 for as long as I have the account.

Then there's accounts like Sears. I had that card a long time ago and don't remember there being any benefit to it whatsoever other than being able to buy stuff from Sears.

You'll have to look at the particular store to see what benefits might be gained by having an account with the them. But always remember that their whole ploy is to get you to buy more than you can afford so that they can rake in the interest when you can't pay it off on time. Only buy stuff you know you have the cash for and use the accounts solely for exploiting the benefits. As soon as you pay any interest on your purchase you've destroyed the savings of buying on sale.

User Info Menu

i plan to always have it paid off before the period is up
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules