Thread: Iron Cobra Settings

User Info Menu

Default Iron Cobra Settings

Hey all,

I recently got an Iron Cobra rolling glide double bass pedal with the bonus package and am curious to see how you guys "tune" or set your pedal. What settings do you have them on and why did you choose that setting. I am still trying to get comfortable with it because I have not played double bass before and am now trying to learn. I am also trying to learn heel up technique so if anyone has any suggestions on that it would be appreciated. I feel like with heel up I need to sit awkwardly straight up in my seat and then I am not at a good angle to move my upper body around with much flexibility. I also do not feel I have much control with heel up and really just get more power out of it.

It could be my drum throne with hopefully I will replace soon enough with a bicycle style throne from Roc n soc or Pork pie.

I apologize if a thread had recently been done like this, but I didn't find one on the last few pages.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Iron Cobra Settings

I have the powerglide but i set mine where the footboards are a lil lower and i used a ruler to get them both same height.. I set the beaters about 4.5 inches from bass. and i have my springs about med. tension.. the black knob i put on the last notch to the back... seems to work pretty good for me, but like everyone always say's.. it's all personal preference.. good luck

User Info Menu

I recently bought a iron cobra, new, but old stock, it didnt come with a cobra coil, can you buy these in stores?
    Sabian-Remo-PDP

User Info Menu

i have my throne as high as it will go. being that it is a stock mapex throne. idk how that would apply to other thrones.

as far as pedals go. there wont be one setting on there that will make you amazingly fast at double bass. i figured that out the hard way. but if you can get it to your perfect comfort level then youll be able to learn on it a lot faster.

for my pedals. i have the foot boards as low as theyll go with out hitting the bass board of the pedal. the spring tension about halfway between hard and soft, a little more on the soft side. the beaters about 3-4 inches from the bass head, and about 4 inches high out of the clamp.

you dont have to have axis, or pearl demon drive pedals to go amazingly fast. after i watched this video, it inspired me to do the best i can on my iron cobras. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWbfAmrFdp8"]YouTube- Feet view double bass fast iron cobras[/ame]
    hope it helps

User Info Menu

thank you for response mapex. I'm gonna mess around with my settings and move beaters a bit closer to head. Another question, has anyone experienced hitting the bass pedal into the drum head and having the pedal like bounce a little off of the head and tap it again. I feel like I when I strike the bass drum head with my beater it will not stick but bounce off and not make a solid sounding single hit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbeckort View Post
    I recently bought a iron cobra, new, but old stock, it didnt come with a cobra coil, can you buy these in stores?
    Yes the cobra coil can be bought separately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruz4life View Post
    thank you for response mapex. I'm gonna mess around with my settings and move beaters a bit closer to head. Another question, has anyone experienced hitting the bass pedal into the drum head and having the pedal like bounce a little off of the head and tap it again. I feel like I when I strike the bass drum head with my beater it will not stick but bounce off and not make a solid sounding single hit.
    It sounds like your reso head is not ported- if this is true, it could be the cause of your bouncing beater issue. Cutting a hole in the reso will change the tone of your drum however..............

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    It sounds like your reso head is not ported- if this is true, it could be the cause of your bouncing beater issue. Cutting a hole in the reso will change the tone of your drum however..............
    Hmm, interesting. I never had problems with it before I took the reso head off and was retuning it. I did a quick job so maybe I didn't get the head back on right or the rim mounting on there well cause I did it while I left the kick upright instead of having to tear kit apart. Thank you for response, and I will try to take that reso head off and put it back on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Yes the cobra coil can be bought separately.
    The only problem is that you would have to have the bottom of the pedals machined
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
    The only problem is that you would have to have the bottom of the pedals machined
    My IC came all ready to accept a coil- what machining?- have they changed the design without my knowledge? I bought mine separately?

User Info Menu

I have the original Iron Cobras, first generation, whatever you want to call it. I dont even think they were called Iron Cobras for the first Generation, but Im not sure. I checked mine to see if the Cobra coil could be added, and sure enough it would have to be machined.

As far as the settings, Man I struggled for at least a year to find the right settings, and I play heel up, always have, even with the single pedal. My opinion is that if your used to playing heel down, than try not to change what your used to. It seems like that would be like taking on way too much change at once. Anyhow, I play hard blues, funk, and a few rock jams mixed in, and I set my springs as tight as I can, and pull the beaters back around 4" from the head, and keep my slave beater slightly further back from the head ( about half inch more ). That works for me , since I have a natural tendency to over-anticipate the slave notes. Good luck, brah!!
    Somebody open a window, cuz this boy is FUNKY
    Old School Mapex Funk 7 piece
    Iron Cobra, Sabian, Evans, Pro-Mark
    Currently laying down grooves for my power funk trio Off The Hook and The Sho Nuf Blues Kings.

User Info Menu

main springs about 3/4 of what its got, beater fully extended, 2-3 inches from drum head, and custom made aluminum beaters that replace the felt ones, hitting a metal kick pad. clickity clack clack clickity clack clack ride on ride on.