Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedal or extra bass?

User Info Menu

Default Pedal or extra bass?

Im kinda in a twist now. I'm probably gonna need some way for double bass with my band (Blur), and Idk which to pick: A bass drum pedal or an extra bass drum. My friends say that I should get a pedal because it's less expensive, but I have two bass drum pedals and one bass drum. If I get a pedal, I'm probably gonna have to sell the two pedals. On the other hand, if I get an extra bass drum, that means that I can put the extra single pedal to good use. But on the flipside to that, it will mean more equipment with extra toms to take care of. And I don't know how to get the bass drum and toms without getting the whole set. HELP!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pedal or extra bass?

I prefer two basses for many reasons, but if you're not going to be using it a TON then I'd say go with the double pedal.
    Look on Ebay or whatever for the second bass drum, it's just like buying anything else.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

If you're going to have trouble transporting 2 bass drums... go the pedals. But get good ones, or you'll regret it.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Pedal or extra bass?

Get A Great Dbl Pedal Unless Yer Roadie Works For Free...I HADDA DBL BASS KIT ON MY OLD CHROME SLINGERLANDS(22" AND 24")....ALONG WITH 4 MOUNTED TOMS AND 2 FLOORS,,,,UNLESS IT WAS A CONCERT MOST CLUBS DIDNT HAVE DA SPACE SO I SPLIT DA KIT EVERY MONTH ID USE DA OTHER HALF...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Ok, so:
    1. 2 bass drums takes up a lot more room
    2. 2 bass drums are more expensive
    3. You have to put your hi hat in weird places
    4. It's going to be a pain in the butt to transport 2 bass drums
    5. If you get a double pedal, you will get a bit of extra money from selling the single pedals.

So, get a double pedal, not a second bass drum.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Frankly there are only 2 plus's to a second drum, over all of the objections everyone has posted....

A second drum can be tuned differently for a really cool effect.

A second drum looks so hella cool....

Otherwise, they're a PITA. I had 2 drums and changed to a double pedal. It's sooo much easier to deal with.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Another Plus Bout 2nd Bass Drum Is A Spare Head If Ya Break Yer Primary But Not Worth Da Hassle In Most Cases....Get A Real Good Dbl Pedal So Ya Dont Have Regrets Only Pleasures...

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

Larrysperf Guest

I use to play double bass now I use and prefur double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    3. You have to put your hi hat in weird places
    Get a hi-hat to bass drum attachment. Problem solved.

BTW, two basses are hella more comfortable. Double pedals always feel awkward. To me at least...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Frankly there are only 2 plus's to a second drum, over all of the objections everyone has posted....

A second drum can be tuned differently for a really cool effect.

A second drum looks so hella cool....

Otherwise, they're a PITA. I had 2 drums and changed to a double pedal. It's sooo much easier to deal with.
    Ding Ding Ding!.... We have a winner. Although I am going to say the opposite to your first point.

With 2 bass drums you will have a hell of a time keeping them tuned exactly like one another for most standard songs. Obviously with one drum and a double pedal you will get the exact same tone with every hit.

Aside from that, 2 bass drums look cool.... but its so 80's.

Rock on

User Info Menu

I use a double pedal for the sake of convenience. I would definitely recommend that. And sell the extra pedals.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

I would suggest just getting a double peddle. It will make gigging a ton easier for you, and you don't have to worry about getting the two drums to sound the same and pay for two sets of drum heads. Also, most venues would not be excited to see you whip out the second bass haha unless your a headliner.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

All up to you in the end, but I'd probably suggest double pedal for a few reasons...

1) Takes up a lot less room, in the house, car and on stage.
    2) Will be cheaper than an additional bass drum
    3) You won't have to tune the additional bass durm to match the original and keep them in tune
    4) You won't need to buy another set of heads each time you renew them
    5) Double pedal might be better if you won't be using the extra bass drum that much

But that's just my views
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Alright guys... don't make it sound impossible. It's not that hard to tune two bass drums to get the same sound. Will it be perfect? No. Will it be so close you can't tell while playing? Yes. Besides, a double pedal hits on two different parts of the drum head giving two different sounds, again it's so close you can't tell. It's not hard to tune two bass drums, unless you suck at tuning and can't tune the first bass to begin with

User Info Menu

I like two bass drums over a double pedal, but as a practical matter, there are clubs that I've played that couldn't accommodate two floor toms, let alone two bass drums. The other practical consideration would be that many venues won't even have two kick drum mic's.

I would do both: Two bass drums, for bigger shows and recording, because I like that route better, AND have a double pedal for those situations where two kicks won't work.

Of course, from a financial perspective, that's the crushing way to go... I'd just do the double pedal, sell off the singles, and call it good.

User Info Menu

Go with Iron Cobra so you can attach it to your Iron Cobra Hi-Hat to keep it so tight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Im kinda in a twist now. I'm probably gonna need some way for double bass with my band (Blur), and Idk which to pick: A bass drum pedal or an extra bass drum. My friends say that I should get a pedal because it's less expensive, but I have two bass drum pedals and one bass drum. If I get a pedal, I'm probably gonna have to sell the two pedals. On the other hand, if I get an extra bass drum, that means that I can put the extra single pedal to good use. But on the flipside to that, it will mean more equipment with extra toms to take care of. And I don't know how to get the bass drum and toms without getting the whole set. HELP!
    you dont mean THE blur? from the 90s?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Um, either would be good. Extra bass is expensive, takes up space, and you need to be a very proficient tuner to get both your kicks the same. Double pedal can also be expensive and might not have as good a feel as two kicks unless you spend a pretty penny. What two pedals do you already have? I suppose you could get an Axis if you had the money, then it splits into two singles if you ever did get another drum
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    you dont mean THE blur? from the 90s?
    No
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Alright guys... don't make it sound impossible. It's not that hard to tune two bass drums to get the same sound. Will it be perfect? No. Will it be so close you can't tell while playing? Yes. Besides, a double pedal hits on two different parts of the drum head giving two different sounds, again it's so close you can't tell. It's not hard to tune two bass drums, unless you suck at tuning and can't tune the first bass to begin with
    I would agree with this.

Ultimately, there are pros and cons to each and you just have to decide which you would prefer because you'll get several conflicting opinions even from just one person...in my case I prefer two bass drums but most places I've played have one bass drum mic so my secondary kick gets whatever extra mic they have laying around so even if they're tuned perfectly they're going to sound different.

I would go with a good double pedal that you can convert into two singles then if you want later get a second bass drum and you can do one or the other.

User Info Menu

ok first.... i see ALOT of you thought we were THE blur. Sadly, it's not true. It's just that our guitarist is a ******* n now we have a new name: WW2, no war references. An i also see that u suggest a pedal. I found out that im gonna need a pedal anyways cuz the space i hav for my set is limited :( but im tryin to figure out how to attatch one pedal to the other. Otherwise im gonna have to sell both pedals.

*Language edit CB - PB*
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I prefer two basses for many reasons, but if you're not going to be using it a TON then I'd say go with the double pedal.
    Look on Ebay or whatever for the second bass drum, it's just like buying anything else.
    That's what it all boils down too pretty much.

An dude, I would keep the extra pedal cuss you never know when you need a spare.
    I like heaveh mehtal.

User Info Menu

Single Bass Wif Double Pedals...Keep Da Xtra Pedal
    Ya Never Know When You'll Need Dat Spare,,,

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I use two bass drums for big venues and a single bass drum with a double pedal for smaller venues.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I see i hav left out the fact that i have TWO single bass drum pedals. An since i hav to get ONE double bass pedal, the single bass drum pedals will be useless. Am i getting clear?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC